Jesus Believed In Adam and Eve

by Parker 95 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Parker
    Parker

Thank you for your replies everyone. But now I'm going to need to catch up with the 6 pages so far. But first I would like to address Ander's question:

Would it surprise you to learn not all mainstream churches subscribe to a literalist interpretation of Adam and Eve?

Yes, I am aware of that, but I was referring to fundamentalist Christians and the reason why they are so unbendable(and in some cases fanatical and even hostile) with their beliefs. Because without Jesus quoting Genesis and the Eden story, I believe that fundamentalist Christians would be more flexible in seeing the flaws and the discrepancies in the Adam and Eve story.

• Parker
    Parker
    Hehe, anyone ask a Bible related question and behold the atheist storm from the Netherworld. We know not all ancient people believed in a literal Adam and Eve. The gnostics is one example. But it also has to do with whether the traditional literalist persuasion is true or not. Reading much prophecy becomes quite difficult if you insist on literal interpretations. Of course with the advent of scientific theories about man, it becomes even harder to argue for a literal talking snake and magical trees. I remember my first biblical inclination before even believing was that Genesis 1 is poetry. I sticked on to that ever since adding perhaps John Calvin's view that it is a simple tale for all, the simple minded included so they could get the message too 😉😁

So, JoenB75, are you a progressive Christian?

• Parker
    Parker
    That's a tough one because at the end of the day I would like to hope that I will be resurrected one way or another through Jesus our savior. Maybe God worked on prehistoric man prior and Adam and Eve were the finished product.

Well, that's the thing, nowwhat? Perhaps is that the reason why fundamentalist Christians can be so unbendable and fanatical? Also, perhaps that is why I think twice about all this because of a concern for indefinitely extending my life presence. Perhaps that is the reason why people are so fierce in believing in things that don't really measure up to scrutiny.

• Parker
    Parker

Hi! my name is Adrian and I am also new to the forum. I do not want to offend anyone or argue. Just trying to present the other side of the story. I am a Jehovah witness but not associated with WT. I do believe in the Bible and I believe that Adam and Eve were real and they were made by God through science, same as humans create today artificial life. Jesus existed before Adam and Eve took part at their creation.

As for the world creation JW never thaught that was done in six literal days. It was actually six days of 7000 years each. This was only for life creation.The age of earth and universe is not known. We are in the seventh day now which is made of 6000 years that have already past plus the judgement day mentioned in revelation which will last 1000 years. In this rest day God was inactive regarding earth and he delegated all responsibility to Jesus.

Most people struggle with the facts presented in the bible, but I do struggle with the big bang and what it was before that. How from nothing and chaos resulted life with its complexity and with the genetic code which I believe is pure science that comes from intelligent life.

So, GodBeliever, you say that you're a Jehovah's witness, but not associated with the WT. Hmmm. You could have fooled me.

• Parker
    Parker
    Yes, I was raised be old school parents and I not interested in any literature which was written after the late 40s early 50s when it was decided to change course and JW to become a religion.

Well, GodBeliever, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So are you one of those who are know as the Bible Students?

• Parker
    Parker

Did he "believe" in them though? (if he even existed - this is a trick theists play to have you arguing about the wrong thing, and just "accept" another bold claim with zero evidence)

If I say "it's like the tortoise and the hare" does it mean I believe that a tortoise and a hare got together and had a running race? Or am I just referring to a story that people are familiar with?

But, Simon, fundamentalist Christians and JWs don't look at it like that. They literally believe that Adam and Eve were real, historical people.

• Parker
    Parker
    100% Bible Literalism has a short History, from the late 19th Century to the present, started as an opposing view to the Textual Scholars who were by then showing more about what the Texts really said, and what the Writers meant.

Phizzy, I recently came across this youtube video, and at the beginning of the video, it stated that the belief in divine creation existed among most western scientists prior to the mid 19th century prior to when Darwin's theory of evolution became popular.

Theory of Evolution: How did Darwin come up with it? - BBC News

• Parker
    Parker
    There is so much evidence around us that God exists! You only need to open your eyes and you will see that everything was made by inteligent life.

Actually, GodBeliever, I have a keen interest in animal life, including the less known and the more bizarre examples of animal life. And if anything, when you include everything other than just the butterflies and adorable kittens, etc., there's a savageness with many of the animal life forms. Things that you can't blame on the fall.

• Parker
    Parker
    If Jesus created the universe and the planet like JW believe he would have certainly known that two homo sapiens called "Adam and Eve" was likely a story. Even if he perhaps knew this was the case, he could probably not tell the truth about the real age of human race but only speak in parables, because they would have thought he was a charlatan or spoke halftruths or even that he was a blatant liar. He would have not destroyed the Jewish religion and brought more science to the world, but would have been stoned earlier.

So, TheWonderofYou, Jesus had to lie so that the people of his time wouldn't think that he was a liar.

• Parker
    Parker

GodBeliever, come on, there is no evidence that god exists is there?

The presence of the cosmos has no tangible or provable connection with the God of the BIble has it? There is nothing in the Bible which demonstrates wisdom beyond its time -- which truly would have been a demonstration of divine power -- instead the Bible is misogynistic, homophobic, racist, vengeful, threatening and slavish but promising deliverence from God's enemies. It is merely human wisdom -- all too human.

The Bible is a compilation of mainly fictional texts collected towards the end of the Roman Empire and officially declared sacred for the purpose of controlling the citizens.

There is no evidence that even one spirit being exists and thank goodness too, as this means we can all be ourselves and we need not fear the nightmare scenario of alien forces dominating our existence. Instead we enjoy free will and we should use it for our own happiness and to help others experience this freedom.

I chose to believe in God once as a young child, it was a bad choice. There was no evidence for me to believe in God and doing so led me to becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses which put a heavy clamp on my mind and education.

When the penny dropped, I realised from the Bible's description of his activities that god is entirely a human construct, it was a release from a tyranny.The ultimate exemplar of faith is found in the Bible with God's friend Abraham who was prepared to sacrifice his only son for God. This paradigm of faith is totally disgusting. The God of the Bible bathes in human blood! Who would want anything to do with such ugly inhuman notions of slavish obedience. Wake up! this was never right-- but we have moved on.

Belief in God is a resignation from being responsible moral individuals. Giving up our freewill to the partisan sect which we have chosen as the most likely to have the best doctrines. God and sin only exist in the abstract to lead the gullible away from an honest and objective evaluation of our marvellous existence on planet earth.

Thank you. Good post, Half banana.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit