Jesus Believed In Adam and Eve

by Parker 95 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Parker
    Parker

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I'm an ex-JW who actually faded from JWs. I'm here to drop by every once in a while to ask a question or two. Also, I prefer not to seek out a debate forum because I have no desire for debate. Also, even though it's been a long time since I was a JW, I still research information about religion and science. Plus, religion is a highly charged topic, and to the point where you can seriously offend and upset people of various Christian faiths.

But regardless of all the ends and outs of the various beliefs of various Christian faiths, I would say that the bottom line for fundamentalist Christian belief is that Jesus believed that Adam and Eve were real and historical people. And the Christian faith is based on that belief. However, even though, I'm not an expert in science, science itself points to it being impossible for the human race to have come from only two people around 6000 years ago. But I started this topic because even at this point in my life, I sometimes think twice about the whole religious thing.

Therefore, does anyone support the historicity of the Adam and Eve story, or do you disregard the Genesis story as being real and historic? Please feel free to share your point of view.

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Parker welcome to the forum.

Don't worry too much about offending others by questioning religious dogma. Facts don't require our consent.

Humans evolved from non-human ancestors over millions of years. We are evolved apes not fallen humans. This much is a fact as certain as anything that science has established to be true. Religion - if it wants to be taken seriously by intelligent people - needs to respect reality. The vast majority of religions have found ways to accommodate evolution. It is mostly Muslims, fundy xtians, JWs and many ex-JWs who still struggle with it,.

Evolution is a Fact - parts 1-40...

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Hi Parker and welcome.

When I first woken up I wasnt interested about the origin of the human race. But I did have (and still do have) a fierce scrutiny to whatever is presented to me, regardless of who presents it.

Visiting museums and letting the evidence speak for itself and watching YouTube video documentaries, reading etc and seeing what they actually prove was a lot of fun.

Yes, we evolved. Yes that opens up more questions, but those questions are welcome in the scientific community, not shot down and ridiculed. When people talk about how "creation had it first" when it comes to the eye or sense of smell or the human foot - they're actually unwittingly talking about how well evolved we are for our enviroment.

Ever wonder why we dont have the eyesight of a hawk or sonar like bats so we can navigate in the dark? If we really were created by an intelligent designer we'd have the best of everything surely?

Hawks have excellent eyesight because the evolved in a different enviroment gradually over millions of years.

Bats have sonar because the evolved in a different enviroment gradually over millions of years.

The ones that didnt have the traits to survive in their enviroment died and didnt get to repoduce.

When it comes to evolution belief is optional, participation is not.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

Therefore, does anyone support the historicity of the Adam and Eve story

The Adam and Eve story is structured in history as a single reference to ancient mythological expressions.

There were and are many other mythological stories to the creation of the world in which we live by other ancient civilizations to be noted.

Why this came about is that humanity in the past didn't have the knowledge of which we have today, the ancients had to endure through the ignorance of which they were forced to inherent.

Human ignorance is a indefensible fact but I think we should keep an open mind to discoveries which may appear into the future.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

There is overwhelming evidence now that humans were existing on the planet for around 100000 years, atleast. This is Way far back than the Adam and Eve time line.

Adam and Eve is a fairy tale story and its no wonder than this mythical Jesus beleived it. The biblical writers created a Myth called Jesus and made that myth beleive the adam eve story. That what I beleive what happened.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi Parker! And welcome.

Many were born-ins to this religion or in our case my wife and I....... were exposed to the JW world view by one or two of our parents....usually our mother's........ after they converted.

To be honest........ our families were totally ignorant about what their new religion was about.

Never having to die was it's big selling point. So living in a 'Paradise Earth' was reassuring. Except paradise earth was never mentioned in the Bible.

What they actually joined was a corporation before it became a religion. One that could and still can......... change it's beliefs and rules.

Jesus was brought up in the Hebrew religion and tradition. So there is no doubt that he would have believed in Jewish history like Adam and Eve, the great Flood. ...etc.

The biggest problem with Jesus was that he never wrote anything down. We know him only by hearsay. Even Paul could not fill a postcard on both sides with quotes from Jesus.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

''I would say that the bottom line for fundamentalist Christian belief is that Jesus believed that Adam and Eve were real and historical people.''

Hence, I don't believe Jesus knew as much as people think he did.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    the bottom line for fundamentalist Christian belief is that Jesus believed that Adam and Eve were real and historical people. And the Christian faith is based on that belief

Would it surprise you to learn not all mainstream churches subscribe to a literalist interpretation of Adam and Eve?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Of course he did.

The poor boy lived 2,000 years ago. Only 100 years ago, modern "learned" men believed the same thing.

Jesus was as much a victim of his culture as those "learned" men were.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Anders that is the problem. Liberal churchs might not believe in literal Adama and Eve but Jesus did.

Paul did for sure.

Also the old earth creationism that JWs and Liberal churchs push is debunked by Exodus 20:11- For in six days the LORD/YHWH made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit