Anyone recall someone disfellowshipped for gluttony???

by James Mixon 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I've know some incredibly obese JWs but never known one to be disfellowshipped. It is the ultimate in hypocrisy, since an obese person will die earlier than a smoker, and gluttony is mentioned in the Bible as a son whereas smoking is not.

Whilst my father was a Curcuit Overseer he did prevent one brother from being appointed as a Ministerial Servant on the basis of gluttony.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Even openly ignoring the doctor's orders to just WALK a little! But, no. Not even that. How does it not hurt their conscience to be up on stage and say "hey everybody! Imitate me! As I imitate JC!"

How does he remain an elder yet not preach? The old school jws , mostly gone or in their 80s and 90s now, stayed remarkably fit in the UK through lots of good old fashioned walking in the ministry. I hear in the states people drive more due to the vast distances. Or is it the case that's a modern phenomenon ?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Jwfacts It is the ultimate in hypocrisy, since an obese person will die earlier than a smoker, and gluttony is mentioned in the Bible as a son whereas smoking is not.

I used to work in a liver unit, and research demonstrates that obesity is more damaging to the liver than smoking and oftentimes even alcoholism.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

In the 70's the brothers would get together once a week to play basketball, we were in great shape.There were Elders, MS and sometimes missionaries we had a great time, well they put a stop to that. We need to spend that time in the ministry not playing football, basketball, golf or beach volleyball..

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    James Mixon - Eating is the only enjoyment for JW's, so I understand

James you forgot the only true enjoyment for a helluva lot JWs, alcohol !!

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

You need at least two skinny people in good standing to witness a fat glutton gorging on burgers, bacon and tubs of ice cream in order to initiate an investigation.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

1988 wt publication discusses how to avoid gluttony and also talks about spiritual gluttony. Don't know if it is still in print. Also, 1888 Zion's wt. Great spiritual food at that time.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

We must admit that gluttony is the most accepted sin in the Christian community, so JW's are not the only ones... Shirley: I forgot about the booze.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I visited a K Hall in West Palm Beach Florida a few years ago and the Circuit Overseer was visiting. He was morbidly obese, I'm guessing 5'10 or maybe less and well over 300 lbs wearing what had to be specially made suits. He looked like he was about to explode.

He gave a talk that highlighted the weeks activities and then started talking about how much Jehovah's people "loooove to eat, yes we looove to eat don't we friends?" He went on to mention how anyone could tell his favorite part of his visits are sharing meals with the friends. (he patted his giant stomach as he said this) everyone chuckled as if it were the cutest thing they'd ever heard.

I couldn't help think about gluttony and how that topic is completely ignored when obviously there were plenty of JW's with eating disorders (bless them) that needed help and understanding and a good example rather than having a dangerously overweight man, making light of his own problem.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    He looked like he was about to explode.

i just can't stop laughing at that line, I've seen many obese people, but they all don't look they're going to explode. So I guess if someone stuck a needle in this guy like they're going to burst a balloon that would be the end of him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit