Anyone recall someone disfellowshipped for gluttony???

by James Mixon 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

haaaaa thats funny!

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

The Prince Regent - later George 4th - had some extremely bad press due to his excessive appetite. Just thought I'd throw that in...

• Hecce
    Hecce

*** w74 3/15 p. 168 Is It Gluttony? ***

Actually, whether a person is thin or fat, his attitude toward food has much to do with whether he is being gluttonous. Is food the big thing in his life? If in the presence of others, does he selfishly ignore their needs and take far more than his share? Is he grossly overweight but exercises no restraint at all as to food, habitually gorging himself? Does he feel uncomfortable, perhaps even getting sick, because of having eaten too much? If this is the case as a matter of course, the individual has a definite problem. He needs to learn self-control.

In areas of this nature, the Christian does well to examine his inclinations. He is under divine command to do all things, including eating, for God’s glory. (1 Cor. 10:31) Manifestly the person who gorges himself whenever given the opportunity is not bringing glory to God. He impairs his mental and physical powers. Owing to his lack of self-control, others come to look upon him with disdain, and he brings reproach upon Jehovah God. That is why one who persists in making a glutton of himself has no place in the congregation of God’s people. Greediness, with which gluttony is definitely associated, is one of the works of the fallen flesh. Concerning those engaging in such works the inspired apostle Paul wrote to the Galatians: “Those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom.”—Gal. 5:21.

So the Christian has good reason to work hard in being a good example in moderation. His relationship to God is involved.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Our overweight family members are struggling with depression. Most are on anti depressants, drink too much and have trouble surviving financially.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    So the Christian has good reason to work hard in being a good example in moderation.

Is an elder who is fat because he over eats moderate in habits? How about other overweight persons in the Cong?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Approximately 4 out of 5 citizens in Samoa, Tonga and Kiribati are obese or overweight, US is 37th on the list....An obese person in my mind one who can not get out of bed, unable to walk, 400-500 pounds...

• jp1692
    jp1692

JM: An obese person in my mind one who can not get out of bed, unable to walk
    Well that's not how the medial profession defines obesity. Here's a medical reference for you:

"Obesity is beyond being simply overweight. It's very common -- more than 1 in 3 U.S. adults are obese."

If your BMI is:
    • Below 18.5: underweight
    • 18.5-24.9: normal
    • 25-29.9: overweight
    • 30 or higher: obese

What you describe, James, is someone that is even beyond what is called "morbidly obese" by medical professionals that work in this field:

"An individual is considered morbidly obese if he or she is 100 pounds over his/her ideal body weight, has a BMI of 40 or more, or 35 or more and experiencing obesity-related health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes." - What is Morbid Obesity? (University of Rochester Medical Center)

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

OK, so I'am 170 lbs and 5'11" so if I gain 50 pounds I'am obese or just overweight..

• jp1692
    jp1692

James, I'm not your personal health advisor. Do the calculations using the medical resources above or ask your doctor.

• eewx2
    eewx2

This used to bother me as I am a glutton. I used to feel incredibly bad about my sin. If they ever did DF for it I probably would have been first in line. I still struggle with food and I am losing. For me it's a comfort thing. That and I hate myself and always have.

My mother always hated that I am fat. She used to lecture me endlessly.

Now my husband on the other hand has lost over 200 lbs since we left the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit