How many JDubs would believe this ridiculous statement?

by Sour Grapes 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Exelder
    Exelder

ha ha

I have never actually heard the Smurf story or any issues with Smurfs. Perhaps it never reached us here in the UK.

We ALWAYS heard horror stories about people buying stuff from second hand stores.....suits and scarfs trying to strangle and squeeze people to death and toy building blocks reassembling themselves to make scary messages.

I used to be terrified of ELO's "Mr Blue Sky" because it contained the 'Satanic Death' march at the end the song and was riddled with backward messages.(except it wasn't of course)

And does anybody remember the story where John Denver supposedly made an announcement at the beginning of one of his concerts where he asked if there was any JW's in the audience, and if so, they were told to leave.

JW's LOVE stories like this.

• tiki
    tiki

They believed it....they ate it up. But some of us didn't.....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

As a Brit living in Britland, we didn't hear of the Smurf story. I think it would have been treated as a bonkers story, probably spread by 'bitter apostates™'.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I think the only ones who would believe would be ones young enough to play with Smurf dolls.

By the way, I have heard that one too, way back in the early 90s.

I am 99.99% sure this is an apocryphal story.

• sir82
    sir82

Can't hazard a guess on exact percentages, but a significant majority would believe it to be literal fact, and an even higher percentage (nearly everyone) would act as if it were literally true.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

In 1986, Phil Phillips published a book called Turmoil in the Toybox

Phil Phillips is the author of Turmoil in the Toybox (1986), Halloween and Satanism (1987), Saturday Morning Mind Control (1991), and Dinosaurs: The Bible, Barney, and Beyond (1994), among others. Turmoil in the Toybox is about how the Smurfs, Care Bears, My Little Pony, He-Man, Mighty Mouse, Cabbage Patch Kids, and Rainbow Bright are all wicked devil toys straight from the pits of Hell itself leading our precious children into ruin. The other three book titles speak for themselves. Halloween and Satanism includes some, perhaps unwitting, but still overt anti-Semitism on display in the author's choice of images and captions.
    Practically his entire repertoire of works fall under the "80s/early 90s Christian paranoia/sensationalism" market. They're also unmentionably bad.[citation NOT needed] His books were sold in every Christian bookstore, on prominent display right next to those of Texe Marrs.

You can view 10 youtube episodes of the book here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrMoVWl5KA

In the following youtube video, "Deception of a Generation (demonic toys)", Phillips discusses the Smurfs at 1:12:30. The Smurfs are, according to Phillips, representative of dead creatures (blue with black lips), homosexual (because the only female is Smurfette who magically changes to male in one episode) and Papa Smurf casts spells:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnjdq32u-MU

I don't think that the Smurf legend originated with the JWs - they just picked up on Phil Phillip's insanity and ran with it. The 80s were rife with Christian paranoia - most of the occult legends originated with right wing born-agains in the States

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Fuckin Idiot! So glad I am out.

ducatijoe

Are YOU the Smurf?!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    the smurf doll jumped to the floor and ran to the back of the hall."

I guess the smurf thing could happen and jw's would believe it happened. They just watched a 50 minute video at the RC and believed that a"big fish" swallowed Jonah and he lived for 3 days inside that "big fish" and was then puked up on dry land!

just saying!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I was about 9 or 10 when the Smurf sensationalism was going around. Did anyone else here about Witness babies being found dead in their cribs, covered in bruises, surround by Smurf toys or wallpaper? That story went around my congregation.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I didn't believe the things about the Smurfs at one time.

Then I heard that there was a Smurf in prison in Arkansas for assault and battery on a child in a crib. Upon checking the court records, I saw it was true.

I now believe that they can be dangerous.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit