The denial of 1975 when and how did they go about it.

by Crazyguy 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I was pretty young in 1975, all I remember was a few complaining at the hall after and those at the door that razed us over it. Does anyone remember how they went about denying it and when this started. I do remember a scripture in Psalms about people being mighty and living longer so this was used. But not sure when they started denying it imminently or after a few years? I knew an elder that came in and was baptized in 1986 and he was of the belief that they never predicted 1975 . So the denial was still going on despite the admissions in 1980

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Crazyguy Just got a 911 distress call from the Governing Body up at Warwick. A transcript of the conversation is below:

• Hecce
    Hecce

The negative reaction was not immediate, there was a waiting period; based in the leeway of variable calculations of months or years. In the meantime, the WT started hinting that if there were improper expectations about the end, they were the result of false interpretations from the flock. The attitude was one of denial from the very, very beginning.

Like everything else in WT land it was a brazen denial of the reality and facts.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"Like everything else in WT land it was a brazen denial of the reality and facts."

Watchtower's "theocratic warfare"...aka...lying.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just to let you know the 1975 date was calculated by using mankind's supposed existence from Adam accumulated forward of 6000 years.

This fictitious dating was used twice before by the leaders of the WTS., firstly by C T Russell in the early 1900's and again in 1941 and then once again in the late 1960's.

Evidence of the kind of lying devious corruption the WTS's leaders were involved in trying to promote the sales of their literature.

• Chook
    Chook

The real answer is their response to history in the form of their new video which blames the poor brothers for selling their homes and leaving good jobs to promote the corporation. I love how Hecce uses the word brazen appropriately.

• Listener
    Listener

I was young and living in Melbourne at the time. All JWs in Melbourne were called to a special meeting at short notice early in 1975.

This is my recollection about it. There were some Americans from HQ giving us this important message, I can't remember who. We were told that there were some who were of the mistaken belief that Armageddon was to come by September/October of that year and those at Bethel felt it was necessary to tell us that this thinking was incorrect and how good it was of them to tell us beforehand, obviously they could never be accused of being false prophets because of this pre-emptive action. Also, it was the wise and smart ones who always understood what this 6,000 years was all about in the first place. They went in depth about this calculation, particularly how we didn't know when Eve was created.

The best spin of all was about saying it was only the weak ones who were letting this stumble them, falsely accusing us of being false prophets, these people were labelled as apostates' and to be kept far away from. Therefore it was inappropriate even to talk about this issue amongst themselves. The matter had been cleared up at the very meeting we were attending so there was absolutely no need for any further discussion.

• Hecce
    Hecce

This type of meetings came as a desperate recourse to reverse the careless information regarding 1975 that was preached from the top for a period of more than ten years.

Please remember that the written information pales by comparison with the information that was given by the top brass and their minions.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The 6000 years of mankind's existence was a conniving marketing ploy, argue or question it and you were labeled spiritually weak and should be watched.

Any time you question the teachings of the GB your deemed weak and you could very well be removed from a position in the congregation.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

They started damage control before the expected date. In 1975 they were already saying that we don't know the exact time since the year of Eve's creation is not known.

"Another speaker, F. W. Franz, the Society’s vice-president, forcefully impressed on the audience the urgency of the Christian preaching work.
    He stressed that, according to dependable Bible chronology, 6,000 years of human history will end this coming September according to the lunar calendar. This coincides with a time when “the human species [is] about to starve itself to death,” as well as its being faced with poisoning by pollution and destruction by nuclear weapons. Franz added: “There’s no basis for believing that mankind, faced with what it now faces, can exist for the seventh thousand-year period” under the present system of things. Does this mean that we know exactly when God will destroy this old system and establish a new one? Franz showed that we do not, for we do not know how short was the time interval between Adam’s creation and the creation of Eve, at which point God’s rest day of seven thousand years began. (Heb. 4:3, 4)
    But, he pointed out, “we should not think that this year of 1975 is of no significance to us,” for the Bible proves that Jehovah is “the greatest chronologist” and “we have the anchor date, 1914, marking the end of the Gentile Times.” So, he continued, “we are filled with anticipation for the near future, for our generation.”—Matt. 24:34." Watchtower 1975 May 1 p.285

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit