The denial of 1975 when and how did they go about it.

by Crazyguy 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi.

My question. Was 1975 a rumor or was it in black and white. Did they print literature that pointed to that date. Even if they never directly said it was the end, what was the point of mentioning that date at all. So in reality it does not matter if the flock took it too far. As the kids say. You (the org) started it.

No one will say to the org. but you guys put in writing to keep watch of 1975. Who told us. You.

The org. has admitted have Jw's given incorrect dates for the end? The answer is yes. Check out the January 2013 public edition. I printed a copy and keep it on hand.

Tor

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This fictitious dating was used twice before by the leaders of the WTS., firstly by C T Russell in the early 1900's and again in 1941 and then once again in the late 1960's.

Evidence of the kind of lying devious corruption the WTS's leaders were involved in trying to promote the sales of their literature.
  • Ding
    Ding

In response to the OP, the Watchtower of July 15, 1976, p. 437 gave us the Adam-Eve creation gap explanation for why nothing happened in 1975. After 9 years of stressing how close the end might be, they gave it an indefinite expansion:

"What, then, does this mean? Simply this: That these factors, and the possibilities for which they allow, prevent us from saying with any positiveness how much time elapsed between Adam’s creation and that of the first woman. We do not know whether it was a brief time such as a month or a few months, a year or even more. But whatever time elapsed would have to be added to the time that has passed since Adam’s creation in order for us to know how far along we are within God’s seventh “day,” his grand day of rest. So our having advanced six thousand years from the start of human existence is one thing. Advancing six thousand years into God’s seventh creative “day” is quite another. And we do not know just how far along in the stream of time we are in this regard."

A 1974 Kingdom Ministry had praised JWs who sold houses and property in order to pioneer for chosing "a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end." But now the July 15, 1976 Watchtower (p. 441) blamed those same sheep for not taking care of their families' necessities:

"But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the “day” comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises."

By 1980, it was becoming clear that the Adam-Eve creation gap explanation was wearing awfully thin, and blaming the sheep was drawing a growing backlash of anger and contributing to a decline of membership and activity. Finally, nearly 4 years later on March 15, 1980, the Watchtower stated on pp. 17-18:

"In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

"In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date."

I believe that's as close as the GB ever came to an apology. Notice that they only admitted that WT publications implied that the 1975 expectation was more a probability than a possibility and so "contributed to the buildup."

No mention is made of the fact that if you didn't believe in the 1975 date at the time and promote the imminence of Armageddon as often as you could, you were considered spiritually weak or much worse...

I'm not aware that the GB ever retracted the Adam-Eve gap explanation. It's been 42 years now -- quite a gap!

They hoped 1975 would fade from memory.

Now they are presenting the JWs' wrong expectations and disappointment as a test of faith to show that JWs' loyalty is to Jehovah, not a date. The implication, of course, is that if you are still bothered by the 1975 failure (or the failure of another other WT dates) you aren't being loyal to Jehovah. Once again, it's your fault, not theirs.

The fact that they are still discussing this shows that the false prophecy issue (though the WT would never call it that, of course) is still troubling JWs or at least causing them trouble when talking with outsiders.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The 1975 date was very real . I was grown up and remember it all well . The printed stuff never actually used the words that defininitely said it would come. But the published mathematics made it necessary. They said things like " it could well be Jehovah's time" ...... that was good enough for most people. Well, it would, wouldn't it ?

I was careful not to say things any further than they printed, but in my heart I believed it.

In early 1976 we just thought either the calculation was a little off, or it was a test to see if we were loyal and ' not just serving to a date' . As time went on they amended the calculation with the comment that time had to be allowed for Adam to be alone in Eden and Eve created before the sixth day of creation ended . So we waited some more.

After some time you just get so used to just getting on with it that the whole '75 thing receded from our minds . Like many doctrines they didn't print that it was wrong ( as I recall) just never mentioned it again.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I recall a new publisher (spouse of a JW woman who was studying with an elder) make the comment during the WT Study that "the WTS/GB never said Armageddon was coming in 1975 and that is all apostate lies". The WT Conductor let the comment stand as accurate. They would all rather believe the lie.

Doc

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

1975 was alluded to in writing and confirmed in convention talks:

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

• sir82
    sir82

Franz showed that we do not, for we do not know how short was the time interval between Adam’s creation and the creation of Eve, at which point God’s rest day of seven thousand years began.

Clever.

On what Biblical basis did they determine that Armageddon must come exactly 7000 years after Eve's creation?

Of course there is no biblical basis. It was just another fevered hallucination from the increasingly loopy mind of FF himself.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Sadly, looking at the Paul Grundy chart provided by Anony Mous the conclusion is that the WT got away with it.

There was a slight decrease in publishers after 1975; but basically they were able to keep the majority of new converts since 1970 (700,000) and the number has kept growing up the actual 7-8 mils.

They are laughing all the way to the bank.

Who cares about 1975?

• sir82
    sir82

It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

This "apology" has always made my blood boil.

Passive tense - "it is to be regretted".

Bastards - a true apology requires acceptance of personal responsibility. "I apologize", not "it is to be regretted".

• Londo111
    Londo111

I believe sometime in the 80's, the seven 7000-year long "creative days" was pocket vetoed.

At that time, I remember 9th grade Earth science made all sorts of light bulbs go off in my head. My father and other older JWs still held onto the idea that the creative days started some 48000 years ago, but I had a hard time believing the continents were that young. We had some heated discussions.

Too bad I didn't wake up back then. I wish I had the Internet like kids today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit