The denial of 1975 when and how did they go about it.

by Crazyguy 43 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• waton
    waton
    ... basically they were able to keep the majority of new converts since 1970 (700,000)... Hecce:

In the aftermath, one Bethel speaker asked " What are we to apologise for ? or why?.... 700 000 new publishers.....?

• Hecce
    Hecce
    In the aftermath, one Bethel speaker asked " What are we to apologise for ? or why?.... 700 000 new publishers.....?

That is new to me but it doesn't surprise.

Brazen

• waton
    waton

It occurred to me at the time, that some smirking wt strategist viewed the episode as a particularly successful "campaign" that they feature all the time...like a hyper 30 hour aux. pioneer push at the CO's visit now in vogue.

A steep curve in the frantic and unrelenting effort to increase membership, to keep the workers busy.

• Moster
    Moster

"If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises".

Right. I believed what you told me and its my fault for doing so. So I continue to believe what you tell me? I don't save for my retirement, I just believe that "Millions now living will never die".

BUNK.

• freddo
    freddo

And as the 1970's progressed into the 1980's we all "knew" that "the generation" was getting along in years and so subconsciously 1975 mattered less.

Then in 1984 we had the elderly bethelites depicted on the front cover of the May 15th 1984 WT with the proclamation of "1914 - The Generation That Will Not Pass Away."

With comments such as the preaching work being completed in our 20th century (then changed on the CD-Rom) and this doozy from the 1971 "Know Jehovah" book. - still to be found on the 2014 CD-Rom.

*** kj chap. 12 p. 216 par. 9 “Until He Comes Who Has the Legal Right” ***

Shortly, within our twentieth century, the “battle in the day of Jehovah” will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom.

We were like the frog in the pan - warmed to boiling over 20 years. Then in 1995 it all came crashing down and now Armageddon overlaps and drifts but is of course imminent!
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Of course there is no biblical basis. It was just another fevered hallucination from the increasingly loopy mind of FF himself.

Yes but Franz got from Russell who used the same dating calculation in the early 1900's.

Franz was indeed loopy but he was also a decisive crook.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

As 1975 grew closer the Watchtower was already back pedaling a bit about that date being the end. For a while not much was said about it, some people still believed it was going to happen any time, others did not, mostly people didn't talk about it. By the time the Watchtower did talk about it, they basically tried to shift blame, acting as if some people "went ahead of the things written" when the reality was that they did everything they could to make people believe that the world was ending while not actually saying so in so many words.

I am sure some left because of it, but most people accepted the half hearted explanation, because to do otherwise would mean that they would have to admit they were wrong to put their trust in the Watchtower and also it meant would have to do something about it, something most people were not willing to do. It was just easier to accept the lane excuse and go on with their way of life. I know because I was one of those people. Like many, I had invested years of my life in the religion and wasn't ready to face the possibility that it was all just a lie.

• sir82
    sir82

Yes but Franz got from Russell who used the same dating calculation in the early 1900's.

IIRC, Russell taught that the 6000 years ended in 1874.

The additional 101 years, and subsequent hoopla, were FF's modification.

But yes, essentially the same dating system, just slightly different results.

• Gorbatchov
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The propagation of 1975 was just another exercise of the stupidity, ignorance and corruption of what the WTS has been involved in since its inception as religious publishing house.

It also spurred on the greatest increase percentage wise that the organization ever experienced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit