What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Cofty

I'm not sure I really understand the question. I don't mean to be flippant when I say that my personal philosophy can be summed up as "shit happens".

I understand the definition of these two possibilities is very hard to put in clear words. We are in a very hazy territory. That's why we created art...

Being between an " evil monster" and "shit happens" it's just like Odysseus caught between Scylla and Charybdis.

https://youtu.be/svWINSRhQU0

• Fernando
    Fernando

Schooling for the next/real/eternal life?

• A Ha
    A Ha

Slim, rest assured that any atheist who spends any time discussing religion on the internet is well acquainted with the Dunning-Kruger effect, but you're misapplying it here. A "mastery" of the subject matter is not required here.

Let me ask you a direct question: If the Most Perfect Mother keeps her children locked in a closet for years, and I say that behavior is incompatible with being the Most Perfect Mother, is that an example of the DKE? If your answer is "no" then you've misapplied the DKE.

• a watcher
    a watcher

Life is what you make it.

My purpose in life is to love and be loved by Jehovah and Jesus.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Good explanation of the reasons why the problem of evil doesn't necessarily disprove a loving God, especially the third video.

https://youtu.be/V4z9Y2u30Qs

https://youtu.be/prWSGbDW3LU

https://youtu.be/L67dlpMgDa4

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    If the Most Perfect Mother keeps her children locked in a closet for years, and I say that behavior is incompatible with being the Most Perfect Mother, is that an example of the DKE?

Context is everything. Say the the mother was German, the children half Jewish, the years 1938 to 1945, and the location Munich.

I am simply saying it is at least possible there are things about reality, our human predicament, and the history of life that we don't fully understand and are not in a position to understand. It is at least possible that there may be further layers of insight into our situation that may give a new and different perspective.

In order to uphold that the problem of evil definitely rules out a loving God you have to make some pretty bold claims for human knowledge. You have to say that humans have got this all figured out and there is nothing we could ever learn in the future that could materially alter our perspective.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Good explanation of the reasons why the problem of evil doesn't necessarily disprove a loving God, especially the third video.

Seriously? You watched that video and thought it was a good explanation?

1. His first point is an old as the hills and totally moronic. 'If God exists we would expect that many of his reasons for doing things are stuff we can't figure out.' This pre-supposes that God is a being that will not communicate his reasons for doing things. But if such a being exists why should we bother to be interested in it?

2. We can figure things reasons God might have lots of the evil in the world - and he lists free will and a cause and effect universe. No we can't figure it out! Because why would a vastly intelligent being who can create life, the universe and everything not be able to set up things up so that they don't create such evils. Why did he create us with the ability to see evil and not create a universe that doesn't contain it? That's why the big bang and evolution makes more sense to me. I look at Parasitoids and ask myself, does that look like the work of vastly intelligent creator or the result of evolution? Because if they were created, that God is sick.

SBF - I hope you get answers to your questions. You come across as a slightly tragic figure who has lost his JW faith and now just restlessly searching for meaning in life. I feel sorry for you.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    In order to uphold that the problem of evil definitely rules out a loving God you have to make some pretty bold claims for human knowledge. You have to say that humans have got this all figured out and there is nothing we could ever learn in the future that could materially alter our perspective.

No you don't. It's no bold claim to say that a quarter of a million people not drowning in a tsunami is better than the deaths of all those men, women and children.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I am simply saying it is at least possible there are things about reality, our human predicament, and the history of life that we don't fully understand and are not in a position to understand.

Maybe. Maybe not. As that advertising campaign said:

There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

Enjoy your life SBF. Stop spending time worrying about these things. You can never get this time back.

• cofty
    cofty

I watched the third video.

I am glad I watched it because I doubt a better argument for theism exists, and yet the argument does not work in the case of the tsunami.

To argue there is a good reason to drown a quarter of a million men, women and infants is impossible. It requires contradicting Jesus about the definition of godly love.

Therefore the god of Jesus does not exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit