What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    John_Mann I just wanted to say thanks for the conversation.
    I would like to pick it up again later.

Cofty, I can assure you that you're by far the best of your kind in this entire forum. You really have a powerful intellect.

Would be great if you joined our spiritual (or intellectual if you wish) militia and we could hail together our Heavenly Mother Mary.

Angels in Heavens would compose songs about your conversion.

The invitation is open until your last breath.

Think about it my friend. I'LL pray for your conversion.

https://youtu.be/WVzbNPm1U8s

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Personally upon leaving the W.T I would answer, being a decent husband, father to my son, not doing too much harm in the world, and finding inner contentment is purpose enough in life for me. I would however suggest that to believe we can express in words what life's "purpose" is, is to assume that we can put into words, or some, formula, the entire nature of the cosmos.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Here's a commentary by Bishop Barron about the problem of evil (caused by natural disasters).

https://youtu.be/vx8ZMkWL8hw

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent

Maybe God is and isn't.

like shrodingers cat

if God is all knowing he knows wot it is to be omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent and not and you can only know if you are, maybe.

I have to admit i havent found a lot of porpoise to life other than groeing old

• Landy
    Landy
    If anything, a reality without a supreme being seems even more mysterious to me!

Ancient civilisations across the world have agreed with you, yet all their 'mysterious' things have all been explained through scientific endeavour.

yes there are things we don't understand but scientists revel in uncertainty - it gives them something to work at and they'll get there eventually.

Every year that passes the universe is just a little less mysterious.

• cofty
    cofty

John_Mann - Bishop Barron is either stupid or dishonest.

You already know why his waffle does not even begin to answer the challenge. He lyingly pretends god did not cause the tsunami he only permitted it. Even if that were true - and it isn't - that still makes god a moral monster.

The god of Jesus created the world complete with moving and sticking tectonic plates. We know that continents have been on the move for millions of years. The omniscient god of Jesus knew about the growing pressures under the Indian Ocean during the centuries prior to the disaster. On the morning of the event he observed the Indo-Australian break free and begin to rebound. The omnipotent god of Jesus could have effortlessly dampened the rebound - he chose not to. He watched the wave of less than a metre rise to the surface. The god of Jesus who calmed the storm on Galilee could have quelled the wave and nobody would have known anything about it. No free will would have been infringed in any way. He failed to do so.

The god of Jesus knew that the wave would kill a quarter of a million people and cause suffering and harm millions more. He did nothing.

The god of Jesus did not permit the suffering of the Asian Tsunami - he caused it. He murdered them wilfully, deliberately and with malice aforethought. He made a world that was perfectly designed to kill its inhabitants and passively observed the consequences.

If a man lays landmines around a village and watches children walk across the minefield he is guilty not only of a crime of omission for failing to call a warning but of a deliberate crime of commission.

Also see number 2 in the summary here...

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Bishop Barron is either stupid or dishonest.
    He lyingly pretends god did not cause the tsunami he only permitted it.

He's just trying to find some answer. He knows the official position of the Church is the total mystery about the problem of natural evil.

Even though nothing he said in video is "fresh", I think he made a good job summarising the existent views about the problem.

The god of Jesus did not permit the suffering of the Asian Tsunami - he caused it. He murdered them wilfully, deliberately and with malice aforethought.

I cannot change your view about it. And I can't give you an ultimate solution rather than mystery.

But I can say causation and permission are two different things.

Considering the atheist scenario, how do you explain the problem of evil?

Do you agree only a conscious mind can conceive/perceive evil?

What is the evolutionary advantage in perceiving evil in nature?

I would like to know your answers to these questions in a purely atheist scenario.

• cofty
    cofty
    But I can say causation and permission are two different things.

Not if you omniscient and omnipotent it isn't.

God designed the world to kill millions of it's inhabitants. This cannot be reconciled with other things Jesus taught about his god and father. Jesus is god. He cannot lie. Therefore god cannot exist.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Cofty calls god a "moral monster" and he's right to do so. I watched that video in full and was sickened by the Bishops attempt to absolve god. Shame on him.

This was my clunky attempt last year to explain how I see the problem of theodicy, it's a bit long and maybe I'll edit and pare it down one day but I stand by it;

The Monster

• cofty
    cofty
    Do you agree only a conscious mind can conceive/perceive evil?

I couldn't answer that until you tell me how you are defining evil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit