What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    But you know is very easy to predict a tsunami and that region is very familiar with this natural problem.
    Why there was no warning about that tsunami?

If only there were some tool that would help find answers to questions...

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/WAD501A.html

• looter
    looter

Should I chuckle, Viviane? Did you really just say to have respectable beliefs in order to be respected? That just proves I wasn't dishonest in how you as so adiment that faith is wrong you don't have the ability to respect others faith even though it isn't wrong and isn't hurting you or anyone. You think it's wrong based on your own beliefs which is fine but when you treat others like myself like we are below you because we still believe in the bible, it just shows the type of person you are. You love to trample others on things you think are incorrect about them.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    What is the logical basis for ruling out the possibility that there may be a solution to the problem of evil that humans either don't or are not able to understand?

Let's unpack this post and answer it for you.

Of course there is that possibility. In Cofty's thread, which you should read, it's explicitly called that that this is a possibility, but that makes god a moral monster, an asshole.

There are various aspects of reality that the human mind is not able to grasp. We are not equipped to conceptualise more than three dimensions for example, although we theorise that many more exist.

Speak for yourself, first of all. Secondly, you are pretending that "grasp", conceptialize and theorize are the same things. We can grasp four dimentions, theorize it AND conceptualize.

So why should the inability of the human mind to conceive a solution to the problem of evil be proof that no solution exists?

Non sequitur. The solutions are "god is an asshole", "god is indifferent", "god is not omni" or "there is no god".

I am interested to know what an atheist response to this is, beyond mere sneering.

The response is "think about it using logic, reason, critical thinking, philosophy and reality instead of being a lazy twit and pretending that those things are 'sneering'".

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Should I chuckle, Viviane?

I certainly hope not. Systemic dishonesty is no laughing matter.

Did you really just say to have respectable beliefs in order to be respected?

No, I didn't. Try reading it again.

That just proves I wasn't dishonest in how you as so adiment that faith is wrong you don't have the ability to respect others faith even though it isn't wrong and isn't hurting you or anyone.

Well, first, you are wrong about what I said. Second, even if you weren't wrong, that's still not "proof". You made untrue claims, even after knowing they were wrong. That's what makes you and your claims dishonest. It's a systemic problem with self-righteous theists.

I specifically said my comment was NOT about faith. Seriously, try reading.

You think it's wrong based on your own beliefs which is fine but when you treat others like myself like we are below you because we still believe in the bible, it just shows the type of person you are. You love to trample others on things you think are incorrect about them.

Again, I SPECIFICALLY said it was NOT about faith. Stop pretending that what this is about. It's dishonest in the extreme.

• Landy
    Landy
    What is the logical basis for ruling out the possibility that there may be a solution to the problem of evil that humans either don't or are not able to understand?

Because it's not demonstrable and it's not provable. It's scientific terms it's a worthless concept. That's why it can be logically ruled out.

Until such time you can demonstrate it, obviously.

• cofty
    cofty
    But you know is very easy to predict a tsunami and that region is very familiar with this natural problem. Why there was no warning about that tsunami? - John_Mann

If that is supposed to be an excuse for god then it is a pathetic one.

It is precisely the same as deliberately driving a fleet of trucks, at speed, into a crowd of people and complaining that they should have heard them coming and got out the way.

Your god has been murdering millions of humans with tsunamis for thousands of years. Long before detection was possible.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Because it's not demonstable and it's not provable. It's scientific terms it's a worthless concept. That's why it can be logically ruled out.
    Until such time you can demonstrate it, obviously.

Asking scientific proof for a philosophical question?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's atheists who are making the positive claim, if they say that, because God's goodness and almightiness seem irreconcilable to us humans, therefore they are reconcilable in reality, and therefore there must be no Chrustian God.

What is the basis for making the human mind the measure for what can exist in the universe in this way? Since there are certainly things about reality that humans can't understand, on what basis do atheists claim that a solution to the problem of evil cannot be one of the things we don't understand?

Notice I am not saying that God necessarily does exist or that there is a solution to the problem of evil. Cofty has claimed that the problem of evil proves that the God of the Bible does not exist. But in order for that "proof" to stand you would need to exclude the possibility that a solution to the problem of evil exists that humans don't or can't understand it.

I know of no logical way to exclude this possibility, therefore I do not think the God of the Bible has been disproved.

• cofty
    cofty

SBF the Straw Man Slayer strikes again.

My argument is not that suffering is incompatible with the existence of god. It is rather that events such as the Asian tsunami are incompatible with other things that christians claim to know about god. All attempts to explain god's actions result in a story that is internally contradictory.

Jesus claimed to have been sent to reveal the nature of his god and father. Not only does christianity claim that god is love, it defines the meaning of love, and explains the importance of love expressed as positive action in the interests of others.

I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous... Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. - Matt.5

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matt.6

But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. - Luke 6

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. - Luke 12

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. - Jas.1

"Love ... always protects" - 1 Cor.13

The god of Jesus is also a god who is active in the world. Millions of christians demonstrate their belief in an immanent god every day. When they thank god for their food or pray for protection for a loved one or for a new job or help with any one of a million concerns they confirm that they worship a god who acts in the real world.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    It's atheists who are making the positive claim, if they say that, because God's goodness and almightiness seem irreconcilable to us humans, therefore they are reconcilable in reality, and therefore there must be no Chrustian God.

But they don't say that. Stop being dishonest.

I know of no logical way to exclude this possibility, therefore I do not think the God of the Bible has been disproved.

Try actually studying the philosophy you seem so fond of getting wrong and you might understand why you keep getting it wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit