Do you still believe in God?

by FormerlySandL 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Nobody hears "the music of the spheres" more clearly than those who investigate what can be known of our cosmos.

From the microscopic universe of the cell to the vastness of deep space. Reality is more awesome than we can even imagine. Nobody mutes the music more than those who destroy the wonder with cheap superstitious answers.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Acts5v29,

You stated "I can show you why God does not - and cannot - intervene in badness." As you're still posting on this thread I would like you to address my questions I posed to you on the very first page of the OP.

God could have simply wiped the early ones out and started again - but that would not have proved His contention, which was goaded by the adversary. So Man became independent, and that issue has to prove itself - God's intervention would only violate the terms. God cannot intervene until Mankind learns that it cannot survive on its own
    -Acts5v29
    • What about when God drowned almost everyone on the planet in the flood, wasn't that intervention?
    • What about the tower of Babel when God confused all the languages and spread everyone apart, wasn't that intervention?
    • What about when God helped Judah kill 500,000 men, wasn't that intervention (2 Chronicles 13:15)?
    • What about when he killed all the firstborn (including babies) in Egypt, wasn't that intervention?
    • What about when God ordered the genocide of the Midianites, Amalekites, the people of Heshbon, and the people of Bashan - wasn't that intervention (1 Samuel 15:1-9, Numbers 31:7-18, Deuteronomy 3:3-7, Deuteronomy 2:32-35)?
    • What about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, wasn't that intervention?
    • What about God sending two bears to maul children to death for calling Elisha bald, wasn't that intervention (2 Kings 2:23)?
    • What about God giving Jeptha victory over the Ammonites on the condition that he sacrifice his daughter, wasn't that intervention (Judges 11:30-39)?
    • What about God giving Samson strength so he can kill 30 men for their clothes, wasn't that intervention (Judges 14:11-19)?
    • etc.

Clearly God can intervene to cause destruction and death. And it's not just humans that experience suffering. It's also animals that suffer and die too. What about them?

• Heaven
    Heaven

There are about 5000 or so species of mammal on the Earth which includes us homo sapiens. However, there are over 1 million described species of insects, and of those, around half of them are beetles... which leads one to conclude that God sure loves beetles.

• theliberator
    theliberator

Sorry Cofty. But I am in the company of the giants.

“As we conquer peak after peak we see in front of us regions full of interest and beauty, but we do not see our goal, we do not see the horizon; in the distance tower still higher peaks, which will yield to those who ascend them still wider prospects, and deepen the feeling, the truth of which is emphasized by every advance in science, that ‘Great are the Works of the Lord’.”

Sir Joseph J. Thomson, Nobel Prize winning physicist, discoverer of the electron, founder of atomic physics.

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

Good morning Xanthippe

Good evening Acts. That's great. I have a good heart and I am totally sincere in that unbelief. If God intervenes with Christ I will be happy to hear their guidance when truth becomes apparent as you put it. Meanwhile - I am an atheist.

In that case, you have a better start than many - believers or unbelievers.

best wishes

• cofty
    cofty
    I am in the company of the giants

No you have found a webpage with lots of quotes. So what?

Why do you think what people believed at the dawn of science is relevant?

• theliberator
    theliberator

First off. I love that website! It isn't just "what people believed at the dawn of science". Many scientists feel the same way today. These scientists are "real scientists". Those early scientists would probably still believe in God, because now we know that we and the universe are incomprehendibly complex. Even Darwin was stumped by what he seen. He probably would not of even come up with such nonsense if he knew just how complex life is. You are a part of a much larger indoctrination. One of the biggest scams the world has ever seen.

"Quotations (such as have point and lack triteness) from the great old authors are an act of reverence on the part of the quoter, and a blessing to a public grown superficial and external."

-- Louise Guiney

• Heaven
    Heaven

The issue of theodicy was the beginning of the end of God for me. I was 10 and the Ethiopian drought and famine of the 1970s was raging, killing 100s of thousands of people. Apparently God hates Ethiopia as this area seems to be regularly hit with this kind of suffering.

Religions claim God is loving and just but words are only words. Reality does not measure up to these claims. It is deeds, behaviours, and actions that speak as do the lack of these. There is no normal human father on the face of this Earth that would not do all within his power to see that his children are cared for, that they receive the necessities of life - nourishment, love, shelter, clothing, medical care, education, and support. Any father who does not look after his children when he has the power to do so is negligent and delinquent - simply put, evil.

This quote by Sam Harris is worth considering:

• cofty
    cofty
    First off. I love that website! - libby

Of course you do. It saves you the hard work of reading a book and maybe learning something.

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

Well Heaven, as any child who cries at having a painful operation comes to realise, there is usually a reason.

What if the child were determined to hate his father who sent him for chemo? Even a child could understand that, in the longer term, there was a good reason.

There's a reason for our Heavenly Father's inaction too, but it seems people would rather enjoy their hatred than consider they might be mistaken. I know its painful to revisit the seat of disppointment - but children manage it. They are made upset, they cry, they go into a lonely corner,... but they don't build a barrier, they don't say "never again". They wipe their eyes, they try again - perhaps because they're too young and vulnerable and they don't know how to build a shell for themselves - and there is too much in the world that they feel is out there for them to waste blocking out what they do not yet understand. Its only as we get stronger that we feel we can isolate ourselves - but that strength keeps out many things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit