Do you still believe in God?

by FormerlySandL 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I still believe in the Christian God of the Bible and His Son Jesus Christ.

However, there is a footnote to my belief.

Science has yet to prove where or how the first living cell came into existence. Some ascribe to the theory of panspermia while others dismiss the idea outright while offering no explanation.

This is where it gets weird.

Science continues to find fossils that point to humans being around longer than previously thought. We all know the Genesis account very well.

Science also continues to understand how incredibly complex the human anatomy with all its functions are.

Nature also points to being designed and created for humans to live comfortably.

The thousands of different animal species with their intricate characteristics also point to someone or something having designed them.

Then there's the question of spirit entities residing and interacting among humans. If there is no God, then who or what are these entities?

So while I do still believe in God and Christ, there are some questions that I cannot answer and science has been unable to.

My five scents

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

Good evening Anders,

Assuming your God exists, She is part of the problem by not making it abundantly clear that everyone is doing it wrong by following religions that lead away from Her.

I don't see that as God's fault - He guided Moses, but the Hebrews quickly took to their own ideas, even before they'd crossed the Jordan. He sent the Christ, but that soon deteriorated into philosophy and competition.

Religions treat knowledge as essential for salvation, but God does not say that. If we have good heart - even if we are total unbelievers but are sincere in that unbelief - then that is fertile ground for following when truth becomes apparent, truth which we have missed during our earlier years. When God intervenes, the question of religion will be pointless, as the Christ will guide us without the need for a "middleman". The problem is whether we - individually - will want to.

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

Good evening Stephanelaliberte

In the end, weather I believe in God or not does not change the fact that I chose to be a good person. I want to do good around me so that once I pass away, people will be able to remember me as a good guy.

So, if there is a God that has some higher purpose for me at that point, I don’t see why he would not judge me on my action rather than my beliefs.

A good heart with sincerity - what could anyone see as wrong with that!

• cofty
    cofty
    Nature also points to being designed and created for humans to live comfortably - Tenacious

That is like the puddle that wondered why the hole in the road was the perfect shape.

The earth is mostly uninhabitable. Earthquakes, volcanos and tsunamis regularly kill millions of earths inhabitants. The sun causes thousands of fatal cancers every year. Shall I go on?

The thousands of different animal species with their intricate characteristics also point to someone or something having designed them.

99% of the millions of species that have ever lived were not up to the job and have gone extinct even before humans appeared. There is zero evidence of intelligent design and lots of evidence of bad design.

Then there's the question of spirit entities residing and interacting among humans. If there is no God, then who or what are these entities?

Figments of your imagination.

Science has yet to prove where or how the first living cell came into existence.

Actually they are getting there. Every mystery ever solved has turned out to be not magic.

• cofty
    cofty
    He guided Moses - Acts5:29

Among god's instructions were how to take and abuse slaves. Orders to commit infanticide and forced marriage/rape, a command to murder apostates and a plan to commit genocide against numerous local ethnic groups.

• FormerlySandL
    FormerlySandL

Figments of your imagination.

This is actually a really interesting point and may be the only thing that could make me reconsider my argument.

I don't know if spirit creatures are a figment of our imaginations and I wouldn't want to find out. I would never ever get involved with spritism, witchcraft or quija boards.

Would you Cofty?

• cofty
    cofty

Ouija boards etc are harmless children's toys.

The only magic thing about them is that if you make everybody wear a blindfold they suddenly don't work anymore.

There are no "spirits" it's all just superstition.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    If we have good heart - even if we are total unbelievers but are sincere in that unbelief - then that is fertile ground for following when truth becomes apparent, truth which we have missed during our earlier years. When God intervenes, the question of religion will be pointless, as the Christ will guide us without the need for a "middleman". The problem is whether we - individually - will want to.

Good evening Acts. That's great. I have a good heart and I am totally sincere in that unbelief. If God intervenes with Christ I will be happy to hear their guidance when truth becomes apparent as you put it. Meanwhile - I am an atheist.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just wanted to point out that in many ancient civilizations the stars that the ancients observed in the sky were deemed spirits or lesser gods/angles associated to a greater God as it were.

This assertion that supernatural spirits exist or are available to be connected to humans in various ways is again non-provable under critical scientific evaluation of evidence.

• theliberator
    theliberator

“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who – in their grudge against traditional religion as the ‘opium of the masses’ – cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Albert Einstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit