For any that still believe in God and Jesus, what is your reasoning on this matter?

by BourneIdentity 88 Replies latest jw experiences

• Onager
    Onager

There is no evidence that the god of the bible exists. So you believe without evidence and call this faith.

There is no knowledge about the god of the bible that does not come from other men. You either read books or listen to speakers to gain knowledge about god.

Therefore you do not have faith in god, but in men first. You have faith that what you have been told by these men is true.

This leads to a logical contradiction because the bible says: Psalm 146:3 - "Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help."

To believe in god you have to have faith in the men who wrote, translated, published and interpreted the bible for you, but the bible says not to trust them. So if you believe the bible, you can't believe the bible and if you believe in god it is because of your faith in men and nothing else.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    cofty3 months ago
    God, the Father is an awesome being ... His words are alive. His word is Jesus ... Jesus has all of the authority of God the Father. He is like the hand of God ... He loves his word with so much love that his LOVE is alive ... To me, his love is the Holy spirit. Not an active force, but true to the scriptures, showing all the attributes of a coherent being. - TPWSYF

I am really struggling to see how your description gets us even close to the christian trinity but I'm going to have another read at it over the weekend and then get back to you with a thoughtful reply.

You never did reply to my explanation of the Trinity. - TPWSYF

Yes you're right I never did. There was nothing to reply to as you didn't explain anything. You just offered a couple of metaphors about the personification of god's word and actions.

Reading your posts here above suggest that you are lying or you are forgetfully ignorant. Maybe you should see your doctor..

• cofty
    cofty

Saying that Jesus is like the hand of god and the holy spirit is like the personification of his love doesn't even begin to answer my simple challenge.

Insulting your interlocutor might suggest you are aware that you have nothing except hand-waving and personal attacks

• niknak
    niknak

Psalm 103

Praise for the LORD'S Mercies

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I have no respect for a person that pretends to be a knowledgeable source, but rejects scientific evidence.

Don't insult us with fairy stories about what you think are one's beliefs, just have the balls to say you won't believe despite all the evidence against your position because it makes you happy to do so. I could respect that.

ps- the Shroud of Turin also confirms Christ's blood type as AB. Now how could anyone know that?

• cofty
    cofty

It's always fascinating to watch Christians take refuge in dogma, platitudes and personal abuse.

I remember a time when I also had to hide from reality in order to protect faith.

the Shroud of Turin also confirms Christ's blood type as AB - TPopeWSYF

That's hilarious!

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I don't anymore.

But there is only 1 reason to believe.

Fear of death being the end.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

You're right Lofty!

[Lofty, as in, that's your opinion about your own beliefs because every Christian is a moron, so you'll treat them that way....hilarious] I have to say that it's fascinating tome that you're fascinated by your own boorish messages. Look below for a chuckle

cofty4 hours ago

It's always fascinating to watch Christians take refuge in dogma, platitudes and personal abuse.

I remember a time when I also had to hide from reality in order to protect faith.

Sounds hypocritical based on your own posts.

cofty7 days ago

I have no respect for faith that pretends to be based on scientific evidence.

Don't insult us with fairy stories about 'eucharistic miracles' just have the balls to say you believe despite all the evidence against the dogma because it makes you happy to do so. I could respect that.

Imagine if you actually researched it instead insulting yourself?

Don't be afraid...because

The Truth Will Set You Free

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Onager11 hours ago

There is no evidence that the god of the bible exists. So you believe without evidence and call this faith.

There is no knowledge about the god of the bible that does not come from other men. You either read books or listen to speakers to gain knowledge about god.

Respectfully, although you are right as far as each of us are not witness to personal and profound intimate communication / revelation with God, there is still a large amount of evidence.

One example of evidence could be the way the apostles and 90% of the early Christians leaders were tortured to death is evidence. Why die for a lie? To what end?

While it is possible for men to die for a lie, it is not possible for the lot of sinners that made up the apostles to go thru what they went through and not fold up if it were a lie in my opinion.If they KNEW it was a lie, they would have recounted when the blade started to peel their skin off of their bodies. It's common sense.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Materialism is a dogma just as sure as any religion is. Just because it is the dominant ideology of the age we live in doesn’t make it any less dogmatic. In fact, probably more so, because people become complacent and assume that, because it’s the received orthodoxy of the day, it therefore stands above other beliefs as more respectable or reliable. The fact that materialism is the current accepted wisdom should make us more rigorous in challenging its claims, not less so.

There are serious problems at the core of a purely materialist account of reality that cannot easily be dismissed. Such as, if everything that is real can be explained in terms of material causes and effects, then what is consciousness? Since we experience consciouness directly, and the material world only indirectly, would we not be more rigorous empiricists if we affirm the reality of consciousness as primary, and remain more sceptical about the nature of the material world? And if we are to use empiricism as a bedrock for understanding, how do we cope with its shaky foundation? In that, what evidence can be produced to support the statement itself: “we should only believe statements on the basis of evidence”? And then, why do we suppose the human mind is capable of posing and answering fundamental questions about reality in the first place. Is this anything more than just wishful thinking?

It’s not just those who believe in God who have difficult questions to answer. If you eliminate God as an explanation then you are also left with a formidable set of difficulties. At least many theists acknowledge the difficulties associated with their beliefs. Some atheists seem to cope with the difficulties of their worldview by pretending they don’t exist. Or maybe they genuinely don’t understand the problems their view of reality throws up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit