Why do some Jehovah's Witnesses choose to be atheist or agnostic?

by Cassaruby 123 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    Is it possible that you did choose chocolate over vanilla and it's as simple as that?

I LIKE CHOCOLATE. I DON'T CARE FOR VANILLA. DOESN'T GET ANY MORE SIMPLE THAN THAT.

Okay, I gotta get outta here. I've got real stuff to do back in reality. . . . smh . . . .

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Why do you like chocolate?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

First - Jehovah's Witnesses have done an amazing job over the years proving that all other religions are false. It's true. Once you see that Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong, you've now reached an important point in existence - the realization that all religion is false.

Second - So now that you know all religion is false, who is "God"? It can't be Jehovah, Jesus, Allah, Odin, Zeus, Ra, etc. So, we are left with a nameless entity that has never communicated anything to mankind.

Third - Science is merely acknowledging what we observed. There is nothing that has been observed that even suggests there is a "God" other than what is man-made.

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

Does it even matter if something is true or false when as humans we can't stop making meaning either way?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

You still have enormous amount to learn. Offering advice is presemptuous unless one is asked for their opinion. Indeed, until the day/night we all return to dust we all have much to learn.

-BoCotR

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Casseruby,

When we are reading great literature we are not asking if something is true or false - we simply require that it is coherent. Then we allow it to cast its spell on us by allowing ourselves to enter the picture portrayed.

Adam and Eve were doing something similar when they envisioned the snake as talking back to them in a similar way that words on a page become part of a conversation we have with a book. Oral societies conversed with the book of nature

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

You win breakfast.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    Does it even matter if something is true or false when as humans we can't stop making meaning either way?

On that basis we might as well believe in fairies. But you have said that you do not and I do not. Any particular reason you have no faith in fairies?

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I think I agree with you Ruby. I like the poetry in your interpretation too

• Cassaruby
    Cassaruby

I choose not to believe in fairies, except for metaphorical fairies. Like grimms fairy tales is a book I like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit