The Biggest Issue Is Not Guns—It Is Mental Health!

by minimus 102 Replies latest jw friends

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    If you leave a knife on the kitchen table and a mentally unstable person takes ur and slices up a bunch of people, then what? Get rid of knives. If a nut is intent on killing someone they will find a way. They will use a gun , knife, machete, rope , poison ,box cutter and so forth.

Looks you are so focused on trying to be right, that you didn't even read my entire answer, and you don't even realize the silliness of your answer.

All you need to do is to pause and think that if you are having dinner with your family in a public place and someone walks in determined to kill everybody, do you want them to have a gun or a knife.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If you can defend yourself at home, you should be able to defend yourself when you go out - I'm ignorant of US gun laws and I'm having some trouble fully subscribing to this.

A guy should be able to shoot a burglar in his own house, but wield a gun in the street?!

It's already illegal to kill people - yes, agreed.

if you remove all legal guns you will cause many many more gun deaths - I'm not sure I follow ... please be patient with me and explain. XD

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    If a person leaves a gun on top of the table, that person is mentally unstable or and idiot to begin with. I live in the USA, I need one more year to be able to purchase a gun, I've already taken several classes on gun ownership and one of the first things you learn is proper handling and storage of a gun.

I think you actually need to take classes in comprehension, because you didn't even get the point of my example. Obviously, my point is not really about a physical person leaving a gun on top of a table, but a greater point about how easy to make it for someone to get a gun

• minimus
    minimus

It’s not that easy to get a gun legally....but of course you can ALWAYS find a person who will sell or trade you one.

If I’m at a restaurant and someone comes in with a gun or a knife I’d be thrilled if someone dining would stop the attack with their knife or gun. Problem solved in that instance.

if someone decides to gas an entire subway and their agenda is to kill, there’s not much anyone can do about it. Soft targets will always be around.

The bottom line is that too often it’s people who are deranged that commit the atrocities. If they could get steady help, things could very well be different

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Among other things about gun ownership that is worrisome is the fact that someone who is mentally stable today and eligible to own a gun can become unstable next month or next year and still have the gun at his or her disposal.

• minimus
    minimus

Just like driving a vehicle! Perhaps they should more regulations right??

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001
    if you remove all legal guns you will cause many many more gun deaths - I'm not sure I follow ... please be patient with me and explain. XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because if all legal guns were removed, only the criminals would still have their weapons because they don't care about the law and won't turn them in. One thing that you don't hear much in the news is when a legal register gun owner does go in and stop someone from carrying out their evil deeds even further. Even if guns weren't the issue, those who are determined to cause harm would still find a way.

With all that said, to legally own a gun, requires an extensive background check on the purchaser. My husband had to go through that background check, and it took ten weeks before he was approved. On the plus side for those who choose not to own a gun, the criminals don't know who does or doesn't own a gun, unless someone advertises it.

There are even places still in the United States today that if you or someone in your household doesn't own one, your life expectancy won't be very long, not because of the human factor, but wildlife. There is a very long history with this tool, and this alone is what makes gun ownership a hot topic for this country. This nation was founded by the way of the gun. All a gun is is a tool, and it all depends on who handling this tool. It takes the human factor to decide how it is going to be used. Will it be for the benefit or the harm of others?

• Simon
    Simon

There are something like 30,000 incidents of defensive gun use per year - people using guns to protect themselves. If those people aren't allowed guns then some number would become victims.

Assume that criminals are not going to obey any gun control laws because ... laws already exist and they already break them.

So "lets make NEW laws!" is simplistic if people think it will make any significant impact. This isn't going to be fixed through legislation directly, it needs societal changes.

• minimus
    minimus

And this is why I say the media shares responsibility. They are very dishonest in their reporting. Report how many lives are SAVED because someone had a gun.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It’s not that easy to get a gun legally ...

Min ...

You know better than that.

As long as you don't have a felony on your record and can breathe and fog a mirror under your nose, you are good to go.

Here in Florida, I could buy an assault weapon as fast as buying a Big Mac at McDonalds.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit