The Biggest Issue Is Not Guns—It Is Mental Health!

by minimus 102 Replies latest jw friends

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

in other words, if you have a person in your family that is mentally unstable, and you leave a gun on top of the table and this person takes it and shoots 20 people, can you just say "well, the issue is that the person was mentally unstable"

If a person leaves a gun on top of the table, that person is mentally unstable or and idiot to begin with. I live in the USA, I need one more year to be able to purchase a gun, I've already taken several classes on gun ownership and one of the first things you learn is proper handling and storage of a gun.

You learn to Always treat any gun as if loaded and ready to fire ACCIDENTALLY.

A person who leaves a gun on the table is an idiot to begin with. you never leave a gun unattended.

https://youtu.be/EdlXeNC-9BI?t=331

Gun ownership, gun handling, gun storage is a serious thing.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    worshipers of old documents (written by people to fit their times and places) will do nothing and continue worshiping the Constitution and especially the second amendment

tell you what... you give up the first and we can then talk about the second. Im sure your good with that since they were both written “by people to fit their times and places”

• minimus
    minimus

Morph, did you know that some people want to get rid of the Constitution? Tough to believe, right??

• Simon
    Simon

The US has a combination of opioid over-prescribing, easy access to firearms and an ongoing, nearly 20 year old war. Throw in media bombardment of constant hate and aggression and what do people imagine will be the outcome?

The rate of homicide is going down overall but mass-shooting are going up. The best thing that the media could do is stop talking about so much because people copy and stop inflaming society with the idea there is a civil war going on (or wishing for it).

PS. Anyone posting 'fake school shooting' claims and conspiracy nonsense have and will be deleted. We don't need that shit.

• Simon
    Simon

For those who imagine that the US can and should give up the 2nd amendment right to own guns: there is a much greater argument that it is valid and a right than the argument used to claim that abortion should be legal (seriously, read the original Roe vs Wade case, it's laughingly ridiculous as a legal basis).

If you are unable or unwilling to consider giving something up such as abortion / planned parenthood as a bargaining chip in return for greater gun control legislation then you are not really serious about the problem and if you think legislation is what is needed and will make a difference then nothing will change because it ain't gonna happen without more support and it can't be forced without it (that's the point of it after all).

Also, the UK, Australia and Canada are different countries with different issues. Claiming that some law passed 30+ years ago really changed things is disingenuous - the countries have never had the same cultures or issues as the US and have other problems with violence that focusing on shootings alone conveniently ignores.

• minimus
    minimus

I agree that the media does us no favors.

They exacerbate things . I would love to see them push helping people with mental health issues. Use their ability to make mental health assistance a real issue.

I don’t think the news media really cares about these things. It’s all about who can report first and how can they get better ratings. They are simply not worthy of our trust.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Morph, did you know that some people want to get rid of the Constitution? Tough to believe, right??

Hard to believe? I was replying to one. He called the constitution an “old document” and tried to call people who respect it and support it “worshippers”. Yea i believe those morons abound and will themselves “worship the old document” when it suits them.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This is gonna make me as popular as a ginger stepchild but I don't think US citizens should have the right to bear arms in public.

If someone who owns a gun defends themselves at home, fine, but citizens shouldn't have the right to bear arms in public.

This is retarded, and a leftover from centuries ago.

• Simon
    Simon
    If someone who owns a gun defends themselves at home, fine, but citizens shouldn't have the right to bear arms in public.

If you can defend yourself at home, you should be able to defend yourself when you go out. I don't think there's an argument to be made other than perhaps 'open carry' but even then, it's targeting the wrong people and the wrong situations.

People who are going out to shoot people are not going to say "oh no, I can't, I'm not allowed to carry a gun out the house!".

It's already illegal to kill people. Imagining a new law against the tool used will make any difference is fanciful IMO. The solution is to address the cause and the gun isn't the driver for why people do it, it's just the tool they use.

Also remember, there's no magic wand that can remove all guns and if you remove all legal guns you will cause many many more gun deaths.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    This is gonna make me as popular as a ginger stepchild but I don't think US citizens should have the right to bear arms in public.

I have no idea why you mention this as it was not factor in the shooting being discussed. California has some of the most strict gun laws in the country. Open carry is not legal and was not a factor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit