The Biggest Issue Is Not Guns—It Is Mental Health!

by minimus 102 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Crazy people shoot up places and kill people. Take away guns and they will find knives, poison, bombs , etc.

Seriously, there are a lot of mentally unhealthy people! They need professional long term help.

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

Seriously, there are a lot of mentally unhealthy people! They need professional long term help.

That's the real problem---There ARE A LOT OF MENTALLY UNHEALTHY PEOPLE!

https://infotel.ca/news/medialibrary/image/orig-mediaitemid43141-3298.png

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/50f0c59e6bb3f7b23800000b-1173-879/nuclear-weapon-bomb-castle-romeo-1.jpg

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

A lot of mentally ill people here in the UK too minimus... guess how many have gone into a school and shot up or sliced up a classroom?

To my recollection, the last one was the Dunblane massacre in 1996 with 17 casualties. In fact, random people taking up arms and randomly killing eachother isnt very common over here. Sure we still have gangs (who tend to target other gangs) and we have terrorism but nowhere near the level the USA has.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I don't think it's an either/or situation. I'm not saying that I have the answer, but let's try not to make it easy to go kill people. Knives take work. Bombs do too.

Mental help also doesn't equal mental health. My guess is that many mentally ill people that kill have had mental help in their lives.

Honestly, I think it's a problem of mental health, gun culture, and the media fame that comes with these horrible tragedies.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Take away guns and they will find knives, poison, bombs , etc.

Min ...

I bet if you polled the people affected by any of the mass shootings that have taken place in recent years (schools, nightclubs, movie theaters, etc.), you would find that they would much rather take their chances against a guy with a knife instead of a Glock.

Rub a Dub

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

You are missing the other component of this point.

Yes it's true that at the core, the issue is some sort of mental health issue. But then the larger question is, how easy do you want to make guns available to them?

In other words, if you have a person in your family that is mentally unstable, and you leave a gun on top of the table and this person takes it and shoots 20 people, can you just say "well, the issue is that the person was mentally unstable". Yes the person is unstable but you have made it quite easy for a catastrophe to happen.

Guns provide a fairly easy way for an unstable person to kill large amounts of people at a distance in a matter of seconds that a knife, or a rock, or a stick does not provide.

So aside from shrugging the shoulders and just chalk it up to mental disease, there is some responsibility to have enough measures in place to at least make it harder to these folks to get their hands on one. We don't have enough of that.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I can picture those at the NRA giving high-fives to each other since it appears the gun was purchased legally.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Yes, lots of mental problems. Let's make it harder for them to get guns. Of course the NRA and the worshipers of old documents (written by people to fit their times and places) will do nothing and continue worshiping the Constitution and especially the second amendment.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Mix people who are suffering from PTSD and the availability to purchase guns and you have killing massacres.

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental disorder that can develop after a person is exposed to a traumatic event, such as sexual assault, warfare, traffic collisions, or other threats on a person's life. Symptoms may include disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the events, mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues, attempts to avoid trauma-related cues, alterations in how a person thinks and feels, and an increase in the fight-or-flight response.These symptoms last for more than a month after the event. Young children are less likely to show distress, but instead may express their memories through play.[1] A person with PTSD is at a higher risk for suicide and intentional self-harm.]

• minimus
    minimus

If you leave a knife on the kitchen table and a mentally unstable person takes ur and slices up a bunch of people, then what? Get rid of knives. If a nut is intent on killing someone they will find a way. They will use a gun , knife, machete, rope , poison ,box cutter and so forth.

The system is so overburdened, people don’t pay attention to vets with PTSD. Spend money on people who truly need the help in the country before you go elsewhere to take care of strangers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit