Your feelings for the former travelling overseers

by Hecce 81 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

I can only go with my gut as a child/teen, but the name Grant Suiter (sp?) makes me kinda nauseous. THen there was Levi. *shivers* There was a Wally Drury, either he or his brother was a CO or DO at one time, he seemed a good person. Owned a large cleaning business, and employed some of us by contract - well paid. I was making about $20 / hour (by contract, but I was a good and fast worker) as a young teen - a small piece of a large contract he had, which was an hour after school, then in the evenings once school was no longer part of my life, and gave me some economic freedom, after my educational freedom was taken away.

They weren't all bad people, but I would hazard to guess that the 'middle management' has grown more harsh and bitter since the early 1970s. After all, $h*t rolls downhill, and before it reaches the congo, it splats all over the COs and DOs. Pathetic, but it's their choice. *shrugs* I really feel bad for anyone who is staying in for family, children; it's a hard row to hoe, and I understand why. Chin up, you have lots of support here. xx

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

LisaRose: From my reading of many posts over the years, it appears that the higher up you went in the organization the more you were exposed to the scheming, cover ups and manipulations, therefore anyone that high up undoubtedly knew there were huge problems in the organization, but chose to say nothing, instead contributing to the lies and cover-ups, simply to maintain their status in the organization. How many were unfairly disfellowshipped on their watch? How much child sexual abuse did they cover up? How much were they aware of the suicide risks? What lies did they knowingly tell? So, no, I do not feel sorry for them.

Touché LisaRose so eloquently summed up.

Some might remember a long time DO, Wayne Johnson one arrogant, egotistical, piece of work. Never saw him crack a smile a total “company man.” He sure liked to strut around the assembly hall. All his ass kissing minions would capitulate to his every command.

Also a CO named Jack Brodie old school type wanted everyone to agree no matter what he said. He had a bully like attitude. Don’t know where these two are today.

Good riddance to them all. They are all getting just what they deserve. No sympathy from me.

• Hecce
    Hecce

For me it was difficult to understand the degree of cooperation between the CO and his buddy at the service desk. We had one particular guy whose mission, was circuit after circuit to dismantle the experienced elders.

From his first visit he started an underground campaign against the senior elders in the body, and by his third visit he had created a net around them and was ready for their removal.

Eventually the elders in the circuit got wind of what he was doing and started fighting back, this resulted in his entire tenure being fight after fight.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I can't recall EVER a CO taking an interest in the average/lowly JW (unless they have money). If you weren't a Elder, MS, Pioneer or someone with a title they couldn't give a rats ass about you.

Some come in the congregation with their list of foods they can't eat and their demands. I have demands too but I have to work to pay my bills and have a family to raise. No time for demands in everyday life.

They latch on to the ones who have money, pick up the dinner tab and an open bar. Poolside would be nice too. We've seen that first hand.

• Hecce
    Hecce

I had a good experience with a young couple in the circuit work, at one time we were supposed to rehearse for a Convention and gathered at their place. It was a group of about 6 brothers, after the rehearsal we were very surprised when all of us were invited to dine with them, the sister said that she was following her family custom that whoever visits their place has to eat with them.

They were the exception

• tiki
    tiki
    Too many of them were out of touch with reality. They didn't get what working for a living, maintaing a home and balancing other activities meant. In order to really understand the congregants they should have had to live the life they did....have a job, take care of themselves....the life of dependence on the support and generosity of others seems very selfish and unrealistic.
  • stillin
    stillin

Now and then you get a good one. One particular DO called ahead to the local PO and asked whether there were any currently inactive ones who might want to go out in FS with him. He actually called my home the week before his visit and asked me himself what I thought of the idea.

I turned him down because it was never about titles to me, but still, it was a nice gesture on his part.

Other than an occasional exception, the rest were company men. I think that these days they are oriented toward delivering "decrees" to the BOE rather than any actual mingling with the riffraff.

• Hecce
    Hecce

Before the WT took over the expenses for transportation and medical for the CO's, it was abusive the amounts that the congregations and circuits used to pay for that. As far as the auto, it was the personal ownership of the brother, it needed replacement like every 3 year. If your circuit was in a well off area; the purchase of the car was going to be your circuit's duty with considerable expense for the brothers.

Many abuses and fights due to those expenses.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    We had a DO and wife stay with us for a week back in the 70s. Actually I felt sorry for the wife, she was really lonely and unhappy. Unlike the CO, who returned to the same congregations and got to know people, the DOs never got to know anyone , as they kept moving between circuits. Really a lonely life back then
  • Hecce
    Hecce
    I remember that some of the sisters in the circuit work were suffering with breast cancer. It seems that the frequency was higher that normal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit