I'm getting baptized

by BlackWolf 150 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

Thank you all for your amazing support!

I talked to my dad about the generation doctrine last night, I showed him job 42:16 where it says a generation is 35 years. I said I didn't understand how more than a hundred years could be one generation. But of course he just regurgitated the the same watchtower crap that doesn't make any sense. I still said I didn't understand (I honestly don't, how could a generation be more than a hundred years?!) It didn't really go any where though, he wasn't able to explain it very well... He said he needed to do more research. Hopefully this proves that I don't have enough understanding to get baptized. I did as a few people on here suggested and let him come up with an answer, but he didn't come up with anything very convincing.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    That was a good topic to start with. Discussing doctrine often won't get too far, as he will just blame his own limited understanding. If you have the CD library and can research with him how a generation used to be within a lifetime of 1914, you can say how that made a lot more sense, but wasn't even true. So the GB aren't guided by Jehovah if they are just making things up as they go along, and then making something else up when they are proven wrong.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

Hey Blackwolf, here's a thread on the generation scriptures that offered a point I found to be one of the best yet for shutting down their idiotic interpretation:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/478180001/how-did-matthew-use-word-generation

When describing the new understanding, they alluded to a muddied scripture in Exodus to explain what a generation is. However, if they looked right there in Matthew at the beginning of the book, generations are listed, and it isn't difficult to understand what one is.

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

Hi Blackwolf-I've been following your story on this thread. And WOW! I am so impressed. You are doing great.

I hope you are able to continue to resist the pressure to get baptized, but if not it's completely understandable to all us born-ins. It could be a lot less grief in the future for you, though.

Just keep putting the "burden of proof" on your dad, continue to not understand his explanations. If he's reasonable at all, he will see that you are not ready.

We are all rooting for you!

• Lieu
    Lieu
    Keep on going in this direction. You're not ready and it's a disgrace what your parents are doing.
  • HBH
    HBH
    Black Wolf, your doing great, we’re here for you. You can be confused about doctrine till the cows come home, but remember the crux of the matter to always put out there, no matter how much pressure is put on you.

This is about baptism question #2 and your 100% belief and dedication to the “spirit directed” org.

“This is the biggest decision of my life, so I need to be absolutely sure (about the org), because I can’t change my mind later.”

They can throw at you circular logic, tell you your life is in danger etc, but I think you can always play that card, and be “confused” till your 18, and get on with your life.

Stay strong,
    HBH

P.S. Make absolutely sure they can’t find out you’ve been on this (or other) “bad” sites.
  • TheListener
    TheListener

You are doing great black wolf. I'm sure this is all super stressful and can tend to take over your whole life. Stay strong and make sure to take some time for yourself and doing some things that you enjoy.

Your tactic with your dad sounds very good. The 'I don't understand' argument drives dubs absolutely insane. They really cannot understand how you can't grasp what they're telling you. It never crisses their mind for a moment that they may actually be wrong. Keep up the good work.

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

Thank you so much everyone. Sorry i havent been on here for quite a few days. :) My parents haven't mentioned baptism since I talked to them last so I'm hoping we can just forget this incident for the time being. I've told them I'm confused so that should hold them off for a while.

Ive really thought about things recently, i will be 18 next summer, and even though it will be hard I know I can move away then. Even though I feel really depressed sometimes I still try to have hope for the future and I think about all the things I want to do once I'm free. I can't just give in and forever live in fear of my parents and the Borg. Every time I go to the hall or participate in some jw activity I get a feeling of almost unbearable anxiety, like I need to run away from this place and these people. I can't be baptized and endure this forever! I thank you all for helping me to come to this realization. I'm going to let this thread go now. :)

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    Wow! So mature; stay strong!
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Sweet if they come back with more nonsense being up Matthew chapter one where it lists each generation. Always have the dumb question look on your face not the in your face look. Play stupid till your 18 them move. The best thing you can do is move away and not get baptised. They will shun you but maybe in time they will become less fanatical and you can have a better relationship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit