Judge sanctions WTS - $4k per day penalty for not producing sex abuse documents

by Simon 221 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Apparently, Watchtower did not file their brief by the deadline on 2/24. It does appear that they have 15 more days from 2/27 to file the brief or the case at the appeals court would be dismissed.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    15 more days from 2/27 brief

That is close to the Ides of March.

What will the context of the brief be about and what bearing does it have on the motion wt filed with appeals court? - for those that are interested.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Looks like Zalkin law firm has found the winning ticket. This will definitely get his clients bigger settlements out of court(to stop further inquiries.)

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Fisherman, the "brief" would be the written legal argument by WTBTS why the original Court decision on document disclosure is wrong.

I haven't been following this case closely, but I find it very strange that WTBTS hasn't filed a brief. From memory there could be a lot of money at stake in this case because there were a large number of victims in the relevant congregation. If WTBTS doesn't file a brief, WTBTS would have no argument to not pay the accumulating $4000 per day. Perhaps WTBTS is trying to string it out as long as possible, and hope to settle.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    why the original Court decision on document disclosure is wrong.

Didnt wt file a motion with a higher court challenging the legality of the related document disclosure decision?

The answer is yes, wt filed a motion; the "brief" is the legal document stating the arguments in support of the motion wt filed in the appeals court.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I am not sure if you are disagreeing with me, Fisherman. We are saying the same thing.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    We are saying the same thing.

That is true.

Just in case someone here did not understand, just added some more detail without commentary.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver
    Due to the appeals court case management system online, it does appear that Watchtower is using outside counsel for the appeal. Which is common, generally it is a good idea to get an attorney on appeal that knows the local court rules and procedures when making an appeal. It is also a bit common for there to be some confusion when both general counsel of an organization hires outside counsel to handle a matter, sometimes there are lines that get crossed.
  • kpop
    kpop

I heard the WT hired one of the most expensive law firms in the UK to "fix" their legal problems and then once they got it where they wanted they let them go. Can anyone confirm this?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Richard Oliver you are not saying that wt has yet filed the related brief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit