Question to all JW

by JesusFreak88 47 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Hi JFreak,

I hope by now you've figured out that this is an anti-JW site! Pretty amusing, but actually some of the same questions you would ask of JW's should be asked of your beliefs (as has been pointed out). Before you go on a thumpin your Bible, maybe you could explain the existance of Chaldean and Sumarian texts (such as the Epic of Gilgamesh) that pre-date Genesis and contain accounts that mirror (almost verbatim) the Flood, Moses and others? Plagerism?

With that in mind, who is tells you that the Bible is "inspired" - the Bible? Kinda like JW's telling people they are right because THEY say so.

Don't you find it a little peculiar that the Bible is riddled with stories of Divine interractions, healings, and miracles - yet none of those things occur in the real world? Sounds like every other religion on the planet. Myths of 'a long time ago in a place far far away'.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    FreeWilly said: Before you go on a thumpin your Bible, maybe you could explain the existance of Chaldean and Sumarian texts (such as the Epic of Gilgamesh) that pre-date Genesis and contain accounts that mirror (almost verbatim) the Flood, Moses and others? Plagerism?

There are pre-biblical accounts which have certain parts which have certain very close parallels to some Old Testament accounts in Genesis. For example the Sumerian and Babylonian "Adam" and "Flood/Gilgamesh" accounts. These are described in Halley's Bible Handbook. These close similaries can be interpreted as providing strong eveidence that both they and the biblical accounts come from a common account. If the creation and flood accounts actually happened the way the Bible says then we would expect to find accounts such as these in very ancient tablets. This does not mean however that the Biblical account actually came from these pagan sources. God through the hand of Moses could have in later times revealed an inspired historical account of these events in order to convey the history of these things to men.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    ravyn said: it is not a well established fact that jesus existed. do some research on 'josephus' claims' and you will find out that they still cannot agree that josephus is the one who wrote the one-liner about jesus since it is not his style and there are no other references to back it up. there is also no proof that the apostles existed.

There is aboundant evidence that Jesus and the apostles existed. We have writings from discipes of the apostles.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/53501/1.ashx

ravyn said: however there is much proof that the idea of a god-man born to a virgin in a manger with animals watching and angels singing, who was baptized in water, performed miracles, had a last supper with twelve of his students and was crucified and resurrected was in existence for thousands of years before xtianity hijacked the myth. do a websearch on Mithras. see my post from a couple of days ago about Ass-Worshipping Hebrews. If you want to be a xtian, fine. but dont condemn JWs for believing in a different brand of xtianity than you do. if you want to make a good defense you need to know everything there is to know about your religion, including the stuff that is difficult to accept.

The following arcticle deals with the claim Mithrasm was an influence on Christianity:

http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_04_02_04_MMM.html+

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Hi Hooberus,

You said: These close similaries can be interpreted as providing strong eveidence that both they and the biblical accounts come from a common account. If the creation and flood accounts actually happened the way the Bible says then we would expect to find accounts such as these in very ancient tablets. This does not mean however that the Biblical account actually came from these pagan sources. God through the hand of Moses could have ....

Perhaps, but condiser this. In addition to parallels in the flood account, there are also parallels in the baby Moses account. The legend of Sargon of Akkad or Agade in Sumerian, tells how Sargon was was born of a priestess who put him in a basket in the river (similar to the story of Moses). A gardenerfound and raised him under Istar's protection. Sargon grew up to become the cupbearer to the King of Kish. He then overthrew the king, and set up his own kingdom at Akkad.

The only problem is the this legend dates BEFORE Moses existed! Coincidence?

Yeah, I guess we find some way to rationalize everything so that the God of the Bible is plausable, however, I feel, it will always exist in the minds of men - absent from the real and tangible. Ancient, supernatural stories from places far far away removed from any of the realities of everyday existance.

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

Truthfuly, the Bible does not say anything conclusively about anything. In symbols, in representations, figuratively, and on and on, ambiguously, but no clear definition as to what anything means.

It took Jesus to explain just what the Old Testament MEANT in PARABLES and on and on, and still things are not clearly understood for a fact. That is not to say that the Bible is not from God, neither can it be said that the Wachtower is not God's agent because the Bible does not meantion a wt specifically. The WT claims to be God's agent, prophet, proxy, whatever that means. The Bible not mentioning the WT specifically does not mean that it is not what it claims. God knows what he means. God also knows the meaning of what he wrote in the Bible, and also if he did "inspire" it, and just exactly what does 'inspire'" means as he defines it. Many people in the days of Jesus were not convinced of Jesus identity. And today the jews and many other religions reject xtianity after having examined the "Bible" are still not convinced of Christianity. Yet a lot of people are convinced of their doctrines using their logic leading to their conclusions, or as true belivers using eroneous logic.

On the one hand the ransom makes sense, on the other hand if Jesus PAID for sins why is human suffering required from God? Why do people still die for a debt that is paid in full? Jesus said I am comming quickly thousands of years ago. Honestly, "quickly" does not mean thousands of years to the person waiting for Jesus.

The WT is the authority on the Bible, whatever that means. I beleive that if God did have a rep on earth today it would be the wt.

• Pepper
    Pepper

They make croaking sounds like the the green frog above. To bad to bad, you great frog for in one hour your croaking will come to an end. Blah Blah Blah..... See I can be profound too. pepper

• smack
    smack

hey j freak I think they may be using irony on ya

American man 'gets' irony.

Jay Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the

concept of irony.

"It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said, "Great weather eh?" and I thought - "Wait a minute, no way is it great weather". Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate.

Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use irony himself in future. "I'm, like, using it all the time" he said. "Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them and I said "Hey, great weather".

Steve

• smack
    smack

what, am I the designated thread killer?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit