Over-protective parent?

by GrownMidget 61 Replies latest jw experiences

• cognac
    cognac

So, I guess what's child molestation in one country is perfectly acceptable in another.

Excuse me while I go vomit...

• DogGone
    DogGone

GrownMidget,

You are right, morality and the law are not the same thing. The age limit is 16 in Canada, too, so a 16 year old with a 50 year old is perfectly legal here too.

But, as you say, "socially acceptable or not...."... feelings about social acceptance influence how a parent reacts. It can also depend on the maturity and experience of the youth and on the family's sense of morality. I simply don't have enough information to condemn either yourself or the parents. As Simon said, though, parents often err on the side of protection and that is good thing. Therefore, without condemning anyone, I'd answer your original question with a, "likely not".

• cognac
    cognac
    feelings about social acceptance influence how a parent reacts.

No, I've seen firsthand the effects of what this can do to a kid.

16 is ok, why not 15? The kid we are talking about might be 16. Why not 14, it's only the difference of a year. Could we push for 13?

Don't get all mad at the JWs for child molestation on a young teenager when at the same time you are ok with someone playing with this sort of fire.

At some point, a line needs to be drawn. Saying, "maybe 16" is a problem. At the very least, it's playing with fire....

• DogGone
    DogGone

Big difference between legal and "perfectly acceptable" cognac!

But, yes, what you call child molestation is perfectly legal in many other countries. In some, it is even perfectly acceptable. I'm sorry this is upsetting, is this new information for you?

It seems you are incorrect about the US age of consent laws. What is perfectly legal in Washington state and Nevada is a sex crime in California and Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent

• DogGone
    DogGone

I agree, the effects can be devastating. I've also seen it first hand.

16 is ok, why not 15? The kid we are talking about might be 16. Why not 14, it's only the difference of a year. Could we push for 13?

Doesn't the same logic work with any other age? If 18 is ok, why not 17?

Anyway, I never made any of the laws, I'm just a Bubble Puppy. I told you that I find the 1/2 age plus 7 to be reasonable guide. I'm not defending the different laws or societal norms, just pointing out what they are.

Don't get all mad at the JWs for child molestation on a young teenager when at the same time you are ok with someone playing with this sort of fire.

Um, are you talking to me or is this meant for another poster?

• cognac
    cognac
    I'm sorry, I'm just gonna have to walk away from this thread. It's just gotten to upsetting for me...
  • DogGone
    DogGone
    Sorry for upsetting you cognac, it wasn't my intent. Hope you feel better.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Two sheltered JW kids give each other the eye at an assemby - 16 and 20

Theproblem is that normally it would just be a stage , little crush whatever life goes on just use protection no problems

but in JW world they are forced to marry so naturally you have to keep the poor kids on a leash!!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    it's sadly to say but it is this kind of upbringing is what hinders young adults social development and communications skills amongst other adults in the real/dating world. Revolting!!
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I missed this particular thread when it first appeared, maybe because when i read the words "overprotective parent" alarm bells go off in my head. "Overprotective" is a backhanded slap, a way to insult with kindness a concerned parent and my gut said the thread wouldnt be a happy fun time thread...

Then i decide to read the thread anyway.

yep. Backhanded slap, thread not ending well.

I have a daughter in the age range your speaking of... She is, unfortunately, rather well devloped physically for her age. Someone like you would undoubtly mistake her for even a little older.

There is no way under the heavens i would allow you to speak to her at 20 or 21. You would have gotten one warning. Its completely and totally unthinkable that ANY parent would allow this! Its not overprotective. Its appropriately protective of someone who, at best, is an emotionally stunted goofball who has no business near my daughter.

The final insult.... You bought her a gift. You stalked her and found out what size she wore and bought her something to wear. The authorties would have to lock me up and put me under the jail to keep me from you....

Nic, cognac, doc and viv all make really good arguments. I dont expect you to understand what lines you crossed or why so many of us feel so strongly about this. Its appalling that you were able to make a thread about this and actually expect support, that you actually think the parent was "overprotective".....
    and not justified in protecting her daughter from a pedophile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit