How Do You Handle Death?

by minimus 57 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

For most Witnesses, the ressurection hope keeps survivors going. I knew of some JW's that were in such denial that they would want to believe that "they're just sleeping but are still alive to Jehovah." Others would bust themselves "in the work", while others would "Mourn as the nations do". As of this moment, how do you handle death, especially that of a loved one?

• donkey
    donkey

you rot...

• smack
    smack

My nephew suicided 11 weeks ago. At the service, my brother spoke about how his youngest daughter asked him how she would recognise her brother when he came back.

She is only about 7, and she couldn't/wouldn't attend the service, her choice.

That was the first death that really affected me, he did it for many reasons that I understand.

I cried for the first time in 30 years.

I'm usually OK about death, we are born, we grow, we die. I'm looking forward to growing old and going. But I think each death affects all of us differently.

I think this question is, how long is a piece of string.

Steve

• Hamas
    Hamas

Like I handle everything else.

I just take it as it comes.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Death is just nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Englishman.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I seem to be able to put it in the back of my mind when someone dies, then it sort of stays there and comes up to haunt me at times. The more people close to me that dies the more it reminds me that I'm next.

My brother just learned that his wife has cancer, they don't know the details yet, the doctors will explain Tuesday. Hope it's not another death sentence. Death happens more often as your friends get old and it is a constant reminder to get busy and do whatever you enjoy while you are still alive.

Ken P.

• minimus
    minimus

Ken, that is sad news indeed. I hope she will get better news than you might expect.........Eman....That's 1 way of looking at it.

• rekless
    rekless

When my son died of leaukemia at the age of 18 just a week after graduating from high school, It took me 12 years to be able to talk about him with out crying.I was an elder at the time. When down the hill very fast. That was my beginning on leaving the WTS. When my wife died 12 years later I cried everyday like the nations do. I feel as if the witnesses can turn love on and off as if it were a faucet. The resurection will make all thing happy so what me worry, that is the attitude most had. My daughter never shed a tear at her mothers death, just told me she hated my guts. We haven't spoken in three years.

• minimus
    minimus

It says something when a religion can control how we actually feel when a loved one dies. All normal responses go out the window. Most Witnesses deal with death in a restrained roboyic fashion. They are even afraid to express their genuine sadness because of what people might think about them. Crying may be considered too excessive!......A terrible shame.

• cat1759
    cat1759

When Dad died my unbelieving Aunt and Uncle came to town as I had to travel also.

My mom kept saying, why are you crying, you know he is coming back. You are so dramatic. Then later in front of my aunt and uncle, i understand why you are crying, because you left the organization. You are no longer a believer in Jehovah and you have no hope of ever seeing your father again. My wonderful Uncle came over and talked to me, about what I have no idea, i was to drunk to give a crap. My aunt and Ex husband pulled me through at the funeral in the kingdom hall. I didn't cry, I had taken some valium.

I drank myself for two weeks straight. Actually every day I was not behind the wheel and my co worker was driving, i was drinking. Until my 40th birthday, two months and two days later. I was given some 15yr old wine, and the some pot. I got so sick I couldn't move. After that I went to work and would never come home.

Always believeing that those living will never die came back to roost, guess what they do die. I should be shocked? No.

Life isn't what we expect. It is what we have to live with.

Cathy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit