Does this make you feel good? Coz it makes me feel bad.....

by ScottyRex 68 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

"Point I thought is that this jerk could be sitting infront of my mum or worse still my 90 year old nan"

With that being said ........ lets think about this, when we are trying to help other people. Are we really helping or hurting.

Think about a small child,... your little girl, your Granny, your ill brother .... imagine what you would want to happen right in front of their faces. A kinder softer message may be the result.

clarity

• azor
    azor

I wonder if this happened at the same time throughout the world what impact it would have. Bursting the bubble of belief so many have of Jahs protection. In my opinion to many are acting like this was some sort of horrific act. Their ceremonies do not merit respect or consideration. If we lived in a different time or were an offshoot of Islam our lives would be in jeopardy.

I am not an activist. I would like to be but can't due to time constraints and other pressing obligations. I refuse to criticize activists. Including those I disagree with. I draw the line at violence, and believe that sort of behavior should be prosecuted and widely condemned. Civil disobedience however is a time and again proven tactic.

• Magnum
    Magnum

azor: In my opinion to many are acting like this was some sort of horrific act. Their ceremonies do not merit respect or consideration...... I am not an activist. I would like to be but can't due to time constraints and other pressing obligations. I refuse to criticize activists

I don't have anything against activists, but I feel that I have the right to criticize. I feel that the guy in the video was immature, sophomoric. He just came across as being a jerk. It seemed that his intent was purely destructive. I don't necessarily have anything against that. I think sometimes destroying something is positive. However, even if his intent was to be purely destructive, he didn't accomplish his mission. He just made himself seem uncouth and immature.

I believe that if one is going to be an activist, even a militant one, he should be dignified and mature. The guy in the video just seemed like an arrogant drunk college boy.

• pbrow
    pbrow

azor, we are all activists to a point. You can and hope do to the small group that you have influence over. The journey of a thousand miles starts with a raindrop or something like that. It takes all kinds and I hope that everyone here participates in the level of civil disobedience that they are comfortable with.

pbrow

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    It takes all kinds

No, it doesn't.

Many here will remember the pepper spraying antics of Danny Hazsard or the interminable tosh of Rick Fearons 'Johnny the Bethelite'.

There are some 'sorts' we can do without.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Ok, no it doesn't. Nicolaou is the be all end all expert on what kinds of antics / tactics it takes to get every single person out of dub land. I bow to your all encompassing knowledge of all things ex-jdub.

pbrow

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Finally! Recognition.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

It seems to me that the "if it helps just one person" rhetoric is ill-conceived.

Shouldn't we be looking at net benefit? If it gets one person out but drives ten people further in to where they're less receptive to TTATT, was it really worth it?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Good point GT.

pbrow, how about you;

1. Address the specific examples I gave you.

2. Don't extend my argument.

3. Recognise the weakness of ad hominems.

• pbrow
    pbrow

People will wake up when they are ready to be woken up. People who are thin skinned and looking to be offended and yell apostate will always be thin skinned looknig to be offended and ready to yell "apostate" Fuck those people, they will (or will not) wake up when they are ready. If this dude stood up and said "toast the generation of 1914" then jerked off in the wine glass and then smashed the glass over a 90 year old grandmother's head, I would agree that would not be the way to go. He didnt. He promoted himself, left the bldg in less then 2 minutes and went about his merry way.

I am not saying its the only way. I am saying it is one way. To say that the confrontational aggressive is NEVER going to work is to disregard the nature of the human primate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit