Hung Jury in California case (videotaped beating of teen by police officer)

by happyout 40 Replies latest social current

• George W Bush
    George W Bush
    That is definitely time for the officer to either calm down or walk away

Yes cops should walk away during an arrest. It would help to clear the air, give the nuts a chance to regain blood flow and make for a feel good feeling all around.

• Redneck
    Redneck

Amac

I've wasted plenty of hours watching "COPS" and have never seen any of them slam someone like this police officer did.

ya should seen the one today then..I even thought the officer went overboard on his handling of the criminal..

remmeber he had his legs limp to so whats to hold him up??

Holding someone up is a little different then body slamming them.

Try it then...have someone do a lil demo with ya...ya lay person against a car they will slide off..if ya dont use force to hold them there from the start...and slamming them on the trunk well wouldn't that just knock the wind outta ya and make ya wanna stop resistain?

Because he punched him he should be fired from his lively hood?..

When his livelyhood requires him to NOT punch people, then YES, he should be fired.

No his lively hood requires him to protect and serve..His job requires the willingness to die in the line of duty for anyone...and if you resist and harm him human nature sometimes kicks in and you react..That wasn't his best day am sure..he was on the force 3 years and now he is out because of that?..1 supposed mistake...Thats absurd ...

You must not realize how ridiculous that sounds. Do you not realize the importance of limiting the authority of those we put into authority? Leniency for those who go beyond their given authority will only result in the problem growing further. Soon a cop could just punch someone for not liking what he says to him (just like the "good ole days.")

What the??? I am believeing I took the wrong turn am I still on earth??What are ya gonna limit??If someone resist ya just let them go?...I am just quessing you probably do not believe in police chases either..

So where did ya grow up? I mean ifn the cops just punched ya for no reason like ya saying there??...Ohhhh wait my name REDNECK I get it now ya insulting me thinking I am southern white trash..Just a good ol boy...yehawwwww ya got it bubba....

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Amac,

You said,

kid grab the cops nuts. If that's true, the punch in the head is more than justified.

So now police should be able to decide what punishment criminals get? That's nuts! Police officers DO NOT have authority to administer punishment and it should be KEPT THAT WAY.

Police officers should be qualified enough to control situations without losing self control. This police officer proved to many people that he cannot do that.

It's not punishment dude, it's called self defense. Resisting arrest is against the law, as is assault on a police officer. If the guy grab his nuts, he was justified in punching him, IN SELF DEFENSE. You ask more of this officer than is possible for most human beings, if someone grabs my nuts, they're getting hit. That's not lack of self control, that's measured response.
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

Jelly is right on this one.....who knows what all the facts were durning the trial....

• teejay
    teejay

>>>> you can actually see the kid grab the cops nuts. If that's true, the punch in the head is more than justified.

You may be right, Yeru -- maybe the kid did grab the cop as you say -- but didn't the cop slam the kid onto the back of the car BEFORE that? That's what *I* saw.

Anyway, the jury has spoken. The cop is innocent.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Over the years the "helping attitude" has morphed into a "us against them" relationship. We, as civilians, do not trust law enforcement (or the Government) and Law enforcement does not trust the public. Do we get the Government that we deserve? Kind of a screwed up mess--huh?

The small town with the local yokels which know just about everyone is an exception to the general rules. However, I know there are some local Law enforcement that need a good "rotor rooter" workout to get rid of the heavy handed problems.

Who is to blame? Yes, some people ask for the problems they get. Can't argue about that. To be in Law enforcement each person must or at least "should be a cut above" the average citizen in order to handle the various situations in a professional manner. It is more and more evident that the psyco-problem people have found a place to practice brutality and other detestable things. A police officer has for the most part, a thankless job. However, each person KNOWS the inherent problems which go with the job.--can't handle it, don't take the job!

Why are the rough necks in any Law Enforcement agency as well as other alphabet soup agencies allowed to carry firearms, missuse authority, attempt to intimidate, always considered to be righteous until proven otherwise or political pressure change? Most "officers" are allowed to kill at the drop of a feather if they feel threatened (remember, "just feel") and the average citizen can't defend themselves in the same, equal manner? I guess the average person walking around is too stupid to figure out when their life is in danger. The reality is that the average person is expendable! This will become more evident to the population as the years tick by. Or should I say, BYE, BYE?

Oh, don't believe what you see. Video tape lies and we don't understand. Never upset the status quo. It could be bad for the health of everyone concerned. All of us should do what we are told (like the Borg-Org) and NEVER, NEVER ask any questions. Just kiss the ring of your own local "protectors." Control is much easier that way........................

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Factoid: If someone grabbed me in the same manner without being provoked, I would have to get medieval with that person!

• amac
    amac

Yeru -

it's called self defense.

It's only self defense if you are fending off personal bodily harm. Taking a 16 yr old kid that is handcuffed, body slamming him and then sucker punching him is not self defense. That is why you see one of the other officers holding him back.

Obviously, by the verdict, this is all a matter of opinion and interpretation of what is beyond reasonable for a police officer. I happen to think he was wrong and not well suited for the job of a police officer. Whether or not he gets punished is no big problem to me, as long as he is not a police officer with the authority to put more people in handcuffs and decide to punish them with sucker punches. Police officers need to learn to leave punishment to judges and jurys.

Redneck -

Holding a person on the hood of a car is irrelevant to body slamming and punching them.

What are ya gonna limit??If someone resist ya just let them go?...

Are you serious? Or are you acting thick for dramatic effect? You limit them to NOT PUNCHING PEOPLE IN THE FACE. No you don't let them go. Put them in cuffs and put them in the back of the cruiser. You limit their authority by NOT ALLOWING them to administer punishment to any suspect or criminal.

Ohhhh wait my name REDNECK I get it now ya insulting me thinking I am southern white trash
    I don't believe I referenced your name OR insulted you. The "good ole days" was an attempt at irony referencing the past when police officers had a little more freedom to hurt people, it had nothing to do with your name, despite the fact that I don't understand why someone would embrace a moniker that commonly holds a derrogatory meaning. Whatever floats your boat though.
  • happyout
    happyout

The officer who punched the teen was NOT found innocent, the jury was hung 7 - 5 in favor of convicting him. The case will be retried.

Obviously there are different opinions of what is "reasonable force" "self defense" etc. What I have not been able to understand from any of the messages that appear to be in favor of this former officer's actions is, what if the guy lied?? The video's DO NOT show the teen grabbing his genitals, the former officer's story was NOT backed up by any of the other officers on the scene, and his department felt his actions were out of line enough to fire him. Given JUST THOSE FACTS, why are you still protesting in favor of the former officer?? If one or two of the other officers had testified that they saw the teen grab the former officer, then I would probably understand where you are coming from, but since they did not, I really don't get it.

And by the way, George Bush, when I suggested that the former officer walk away to calm down instead of body slamming and punching the teen, it was with the awareness that there were many other officers on the scene. You know, the same officers that grabbed the former officer and prevented him from assaulting the teen further??

Happyout

• Redneck
    Redneck

Amac

Aight now let see where to start ok ,age 16 is irrelevant they wouldnt know that and a 16 year is old enough to know a badge means for them to listen and not fight them..Presonnel bodily harm..Squeezing a mans nuts is bodily harm...

Holding a person on the hood of a car is irrelevant to body slamming and punching them.

Punching them yes is irrelevant slamming them....Tell ya what try it and then talk to me about it...a limp body is one of the hardest things to hold up its dead weight..

You limit them to NOT PUNCHING PEOPLE IN THE FACE.

So let me get this straight now..an officer is not supposed to hit a person in the face either..Is this for fear of killing that person or ??

You limit their authority by NOT ALLOWING them to administer punishment to any suspect or criminal.

Uhhhh they arent allowed to administer punishment...

I am willing to say that him punching the kid was a bad judgement call on his part..but buy human nature someone grabs ya ya will hit them...But the way I understand you is that officers should treat everyone with kids gloves..What is your idea of reasonable force then?

it had nothing to do with your name, despite the fact that I don't understand why someone would embrace a moniker that commonly holds a derrogatory meaning. Whatever floats your boat though.
    Main Entry: red·neck
    Pronunciation: 'red-"nek
    Function: noun
    Date: 1830
    1 sometimes disparaging : a white member of the Southern rural laboring class

Well I feel that those who wanna judge me because of what they percieve as a derrogatory name ...There lose..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit