Hung Jury in California case (videotaped beating of teen by police officer)

by happyout 40 Replies latest social current

• happyout
    happyout

Judge declares hung jury in videotaped beating case

Second officer not guilty of false report charge

Tuesday, July 29, 2003 Posted: 5:50 PM EDT (2150 GMT)

alt
    Story Tools
    Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article
    Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site

more video VIDEO
    alt A teen-ager whose beating by Inglewood police was videotaped said he had done nothing to provoke the attack. CNN's Thelma Gutierrez reports
    premium contentPLAY VIDEO
    RELATED
    Inglewood officer indicted in videotaped arrest July 17, 2002 • Protests seek officer's arrest in taped beating July 12, 2002 • Indictment: People v. Morse, Darvish (FindLaw, PDF)external link

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A California judge declared a hung jury Tuesday in the police brutality case against a white former officer who punched and slammed a handcuffed black teenager onto a squad car during a videotaped arrest.

The jury deliberated more than three days without reaching a verdict in a case that raised racial tensions and drew comparisons to the Rodney King beating.

Jeremy Morse, who was fired from the Inglewood Police Department after three years on the job, had faced one count of assault under the color of authority. If he had been convicted, he could have faced a maximum sentence of three years in state prison and a $10,000 fine.

Morse's partner, Bijan Darvish, was acquitted of filing a false police report. He had also faced three years in prison.

Morse was caught on amateur video shot last summer that showed him picking up then-16-year-old Donovan Jackson, slamming him onto the trunk of a patrol car and punching him in the face -- all while the teen was handcuffed.

Morse had been on the Los Angeles suburb's police force for three years.

The jury was deadlocked 7-5 in favor of conviction in the case against Morse.

Upon hearing of his acquittal, Darvish and his attorney banged their fists on the counsel table and quietly uttered "yes" as the verdicts were read.

Someone in the courtroom yelled, "No justice here!" and was silenced by Superior Court Judge William Hollingsworth Jr., according to a report from The Associated Press.

On Monday, jurors asked for a clarification on the instructions given to them by the judge about how to determine whether the use of force was "lawful and necessary."

alt

And during more than four hours of deliberations Thursday, the jury asked that the entire testimony of the prosecution's "use of force" witness -- a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department -- be read back to them.

The arrest sparked protests, raised racial tensions and led to comparisons to the Rodney King beating.

While the jury was deliberating, a coalition of government, church and community leaders urged calm. The Associated Press reported that hundreds of volunteers, including some former gang members, planned to flood the streets after the verdict to plead for peace.

People standing outside the courthouse on Tuesday during the verdict held signs saying "Peace After the Verdict," hoping to prevent riots like the ones that devastated the city after four white police officers were acquitted of state charges in the videotaped beating of King in 1992, according to the AP.

If you haven't seen the video (living in California, I have seen it repeatedly), at least pay attention to the fact that this officer was shown slamming the teen onto a car and punching him WHILE THE TEEN WAS HANDCUFFED.

I don't understand "justice" in America.

Happyout (who is not very happy right now)

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Man, that's soooooo injustice.

Yiz

• Hamas
    Hamas

Can you say.....

K K K ?

• happyout
    happyout

I still can't get over this. I am hoping it does not spark any violence and so far so good.

I wonder, though, what the jury WASN'T thinking??!!

Happyout

• Redneck
    Redneck

They were probably thinking..."damn that woulda hurt if he had grabbbed my nuts and I woulda punched him too "..

• jelly
    jelly

Redneck is correct. The little angle was grabbing the cops nuts. I would have clubed him like a baby seal. It has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with some twit grabbing a cops nuts.

Terry

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Ah so what your saying is that you and Redneck have no self control, I bet you two picked on guys smaller than you in school too. My Si Fu would have kicked you out of his class. There's something called resonable force, beating someone that is hand-cuffed is not reasonable force.

• jelly
    jelly

Actually an unreasonable use of force would involve attacking someone that was either not attacking you or unable to attack you. It seems that this kid was able to attack the cop with cuffs on so the cop had the right to get the kid to let go of his nuts.

No I am not a pussy or a bully, but if anyone grabbed my nuts yes I would punch them, if feel I am safely in the majority here. Nut grabbing equals automatic ass kicking for 99% of the male population, the other 1% likes it.

Terry

• Redneck
    Redneck

No self control little man?..This comen from a guy that threatens a man through his GF..You want to call me a pussy?..You really need to get ya prescriptions updated...Your whole comment was a joke for anybody thats seen your little Hissy fits you have here and on other boards..Your Si Fu huh...I forgot along with everything else you are a martial arts expert..I quess you would need that training if you were going to be running ya mouth like this huh.....

• obiwan
    obiwan

Sorry TH, but I have to agree. If my nuts where grabbed by some guy, I know it wouldn't be a pleasurable experience. I would be kicking someone else's nuts right back.

( And NO I didn't pick on kids smaller than myself, I was the one picked on, because I was smaller and a jw)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit