Should I Convert to Become a MORMON??

by Latte 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I stand by my comments on shunning - this was from several local mormon sources.
    Whether or not that is general policy, or policy in Britain alone, I don't know.

As for the masonic symbols, that bothers me little, but the superstitions regarding the wearing of such "holy undergarments" are kinda scatty.

The "exclusive guardians of truth" position has to set alarm bells ringing.

• Simon
    Simon

I've heard from peolpe that Mormons do shunning too.

It may be like the JWs do though - some peolpe can leave and are fine but like most closed sects / cultish groups, if they think you are a threat (because of what you know) then they will try and prevent people having any contact from you. This is the reason that both organisations practise shunning ultimately.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

That would be like leaping out of the frying pan and into the fire!!!

I was talking to a former Morman a while back who had gone quite high up and he told me something that would but the Watchtower siciety to shame.

He said that the temples that they have are not open to the public but there are certain areas reserved for those who reach certain states of spirituality. The more spiritual you become the more secrets you are exposed to (a bit like freemasonry)

He said that the thing that made him question the faith was when he was told that when you reach the top plain of spirituality, and then die, you will become a God over your own planet....and that our God was once a man on another world!

Now that is unbelievable....do you want to get involved in a religion that believes that.?

The Mormons and JW's are very similar.....don't be fooled by them.

• Robdar
    Robdar

If you are feeling froggy...jump

There is one light and yet many paths.

Take the one that most interests you.

Robyn

• glitter
    glitter

The whole "magical knickers" thing fascinates me. But not enough to convert to try them on.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    The whole "magical knickers" thing fascinates me. But not enough to convert to try them on.

Several months ago I commented on the "magical knickers" the mormans wear...here is what I posted:

"I've got several Morman friends ... some wear the 'underware' some do not.

The underwear (they call them garments) are worn only by members who have been to their Temple (like couples who are married there). Just being baptised doesn't do it. I am told that the garment itself is nothing 'mystical' or weird, and is thought of as a religious vestment, like Rabbi's who wear the Tallit (prayer shawl) or Yarmulkah. Like a lot of religious vestments or symbols, the garment is a reminder of the Temple and is worn on the body as a reminder of the scriptures that indicate that the body is a 'temple of God' for housing ones spirit and to treat it with respect accordingly.

Now you may agree or disagree on the need for religious vestments, whether they be Communion dresses, Yarmulkah's or garments.... different strokes for different folks .... however, I do not think that anyone's religious attire should be a source of ridicule."

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

do yourself a big favor and go buy all of Marion Zimmer Bradley's books starting with The Fall of Atlantis, The Forest House, The Priestess of Avalon, The Lady of Avalon, and Mists of Avalon.

It will cure you from xtianity. I really can't even let myself get sucked into this thread too deeply because the arguments of fundys that they are right and mormons are wrong are so infantile it is beyond even the effort it would take for me to refute any of the garbage. and I dont want to offend individuals.

Ravyn

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Latte,

Some of the little discussed beliefs of Mormons...That God was once a man just like us, and that he had a Father who was God, and that there is an infinite line of gods that were once human, and that YOU TOO can become a god.

There is a "hidden" mother goddess from whom all spirits were born from the conjugal act between her Hubby Jehovah and her.

No alcohol, no tobaco, no drinks with caffine.

The "Elders" aren't the same as in the Society. The "Elders" have no authority, it's vested in the Stake President (Presiding Overseer).

One meeting a week my a$$! One CHURCH session, sure, but with the ladies auxiliaries, seminary (bible study) etc there are so many meetings that they finally declared one day a week FREE from meetings so as to allow families to spend time together, most locations use Monday as that day.

Each President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) is considered a Prophet and CALLED a Prophet, of almost equal standing with Joe Smith. Their "governing body" called Qurom of the 72 I think actually VOTE on what is and isn't inspired utterings by this prophet (not quite sure on this part of the equations, but this is my understanding)

Aside from the KJV Bible and the Book of Mormon, here's a list of other "scriptures" of the LDS, "Principles of the Gospel" "Doctrines and Covenants", "Pearl of Great Price", and the Patriarchal Blessing Each (male?) LDS recieves from his Bishop is considered "Personal Scripture"

God Lives on a planet called Kobal (or some such name), Angels travel on Light Beams,

Of all the whacky fringe religions I've run into, these guys are actually my favorite. The 2nd best Chaplain I ever worked for is LDS. When I was in Germany and Tennesee I always made it a point to kind of watch over the missionaries, who are basically 19 year old kids away from home, trying to do what they believe in. These guys and gals have to fund their own missionary trip. I'd just make sure they weren't being harrassed by the Army folks too much and make sure they had a good meal now and again if the local congregation fell through for some reason.

They do Shun EXCOMMUNICATED members, but I'm not sure about those who just disassociate.

They have WATER instead of wine at their communion services.

They do a "Temple Work" part of which involves going to their nearest Temple and having themselves "baptized" over and over again for their dead relatives and friends, from generations ago. The LDS have some of the best geneological records available. After they've done their "Temple Work" They are then authorized to wear what is "usually" a one piece temple garment that looks like a boxer shorts and t-shirt jump suit. Funny as heck watching an Army Medic trying to pull up the Mormon guys T-shirt in front of me, he was trying to listen to the guys lungs from the back, gave the kid the wedgie from HELL. HILARIOUS!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    After they've done their "Temple Work" They are then authorized to wear what is "usually" a one piece temple garment that looks like a boxer shorts and t-shirt jump suit. Funny as heck watching an Army Medic trying to pull up the Mormon guys T-shirt in front of me, he was trying to listen to the guys lungs from the back, gave the kid the wedgie from HELL. HILARIOUS!

Gee Yeru....

Do others get as much of a laugh out of the silly catholic 'dresses' you guys wear as you do regarding other's religious vestments?

BTW.... again, they DO NOT SHUN.... I would challenge anywone on this board to show me that it is policy or and 'understanding' that they do. In FACT, if someone does shun someone else, they are not living their religion in trying to follow the example of Jesus.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Double,

I myself make jokes about certain Catholic Garments and rituals, that's human nature. Besides, the Catholics don't wear the "dress" all the time and under their regular clothes, so there aren't as many opportunities for something funny to happen to a Catholic. No, I concede that in the JW sense of the word they don't shun, but I've seen several of thier more notorious excommunicated apostates avoided, but not by family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit