So, for all you fans of big fat books (like, say, Harry Potter) ...

by dedalus 61 Replies latest social entertainment

• dedalus
    dedalus

Xena,

I enjoy the Harry Potter books very much but am a bit disgusted by all the Harry Potter merchandising I see

Interesting comment, and it provokes a question: Do kids read these books because all of the merchandising compels them to, or does the merchandising exist because the kids love to read these books (and not other books)? I've always been a little suspicious of the mysterious way the Harry Potter books supposedly resurrected a literary appetite that had hitherto lay dormant in children. "These books get kids reading!" parents and newscasters exclaim. Well, why? They're good books, they tell a good story, they are so wonderful even for adults -- but haven't there been good books that tell good stories before? What's the difference here?

However, my complaint has been less about the way kids read these books, more about the way (some) adults read them.

Safe4kids,

What exactly is the problem? Oprah has a huge audience, she started a book club and has helped launch many careers for writers who might otherwise wither away into obscurity, she's encouraged people to read, AND she's donated the profits to charity!

I have to acknowledge that donating the profits to charity partly redeems the commercial aspect -- but doesn't make it any less commercial.

As for encouraging people to read, the distinction has to be made that she encourages people to read the books she herself selects and endorses. I doubt that many of Oprah's viewers read without her at their side. This brush with celebrity -- the thrill of reading what Oprah has read and understanding it more or less as she has -- is the draw, more so than the literature itself. Or so I'd argue.

As for launching the careers of writers who might otherwise wither away into obscurity, why choose Steinbeck? East of Eden was a bestseller when it was first published and has never been out of print. Why not rescue one of the writers history has neglected, has forgotten? Molly Keane, for example.

On this last point, I admit I am nitpicking.

Dedalus

• Xena
    Xena
    However, my complaint has been less about the way kids read these books, more about the way (some) adults read them

Would you mind expanding a bit on that comment? I enjoy the Harry Potter Books, but then I am a lover of fantasy..I have read all the Anne McCaffey books also...what can I say simple tastes

My daughter is a bit young for the Harry Potter Books just yet...she is just getting started on "chapter" books as she likes to call them and is actually more drawn to R.L. Stine (oh joy )....I am hoping to lure her into some Louisa May Allicot eventually but we shall see..

I think one of the things that made Harry Potter so popular was the negative publicity it initially got from some "churchy" groups..people wanted to see what the fuss was about and noticed that they were entertaining books, course the movies have helped boost sales also I am sure.

Unfortunately it appears to be a fact of life that some people are followers, I guess we should just be glad they decided to follow Oprah and her Reading Club instead of Rutherford and his huh???

• Robdar
    Robdar

I am currently reading The Mists of Avalon. Very thick, nearly 900 pages. Great book...............really good, and lots of things to think about regarding paganism and Catholicism.

Mulan, The Mists of Avalon is a fabulous book. I am going to go downstairs to my library and get it out to read again. Let me know when you finish it what you thought about it.

Robyn

• riz
    riz

dedalus wrote:

Sorry, Riz.

Thanks. It's quite alright.

• rem
    rem

Dedalus, I'll never forgive you for introducing me to Pynchon!

rem

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Dedulas:

I realize that your young, I also realize that you are focused on you and what you believe. I was reading classics before you were born. I started reading at 4 and I know what reading is and what it isn't, I also know how few people read and even fewer have comprehension skills.

As for this subject I'm done. You are only concerened with your carefully worded and edited ( as you said in chat) posts. I have a love for the written word. I know it's power and I know it's magic. I know how it can touch people and how it can take them to places that they not only will never see but that don't even exist but in the writer's mind.

I am truly sorry that you don'understand.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Sheila,

I realize that your young, I also realize that you are focused on you and what you believe. I was reading classics before you were born. I started reading at 4 and I know what reading is and what it isn't, I also know how few people read and even fewer have comprehension skills.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything. Are you suggesting that, because I'm younger than you, my posts are therefore less valid than yours? Does that make sense? If that's not your point, than what is?

As for this subject I'm done. You are only concerened with your carefully worded and edited ( as you said in chat) posts. I have a love for the written word.

Why do you call attention to my writing and editing as if attention to detail is a bad thing? Yes, I'm interested in the ideas I expressed in the writing of my posts. You are not. Why you ever bothered posting on this thread in the first place is a mystery to me.

I have a love for the written word. I know it's power and I know it's magic.

Too bad your love for the written word doesn't extend to the difference between its and it's, or the difference between your and you're, or the innumerable other mistakes you make in your writing. In fact, it's astonishing to me that a person who claims to love reading so much, and who aspires to be a writer, can so consistently and carelessly make the crude spelling and grammatical mistakes you do. Your writing online is simply appalling. Let's hope that's because you're careless and casual here, and not because you don't know any better.

I know how it can touch people and how it can take them to places that they not only will never see but that don't even exist but in the writer's mind.

There are a dozen things I could say that would, with a different sort of poster than yourself, lead to interesting remarks in an ongoing discussion. Obviously, however, I can't reach you. But, with this final remark of yours, I understand you better: you read to escape. There are other reasons to read, too, other ways to regard the exchange between text and reader, but you, I now believe, are incapable of fathoming anything but your own myopic, insipid cliches -- "reading is fundamental" -- on which you blithely thrive.

Dedalus

• dedalus
    dedalus

Xena,

Would you mind expanding a bit on that comment?

No problem. What bothers me about the way adults read Harry Potter (and, I suppose, other books, only one rarely hears them discuss other books) is that they twitter and chatter and backslap and yet say nothing. I've never heard anyone say anything about a Harry Potter novel other than "It's amazing!", "It's imaginative!", "It's so good!", "I read the whole thing in one weekend!" Well, fine, as blurbs these remarks suffice, but they don't have substance; there's no dialogue going on, and when a mass of adults reads a book, there should emerge a dialogue about it.

Americans, I suspect, are losing (or have lost?) the ability to speak critically of a novel, to consider and comment on its structure, its themes, its rhetorical methods, its methods of characterization, its style. An extensive theoretical education is not required for these sorts of discussions. With Harry Potter, I find that many adults are especially self-congratulatory about having read it; they wax poetic about some vague journey to some fantastic place. But beyond that, they don't have much to say.

I wonder, and have been wondering, if Oprah contributes to this kind of reductive experience of reading, or not. (I'm inconclusive, so don't hate me for what I've written!) I suppose I'll get a better idea when I watch her show.

Rem,

Dedalus, I'll never forgive you for introducing me to Pynchon!

Hee hee. I had a buddy in grad school who was a huge Pynchon fan. How he retained the details of Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon is beyond me. And I had a professor in undergrad who told me how, when she was younger, she and her college boyfriend, intoxicated beyond reason, wrote to Pynchon, begging him to come out of hiding, offering to be his secret assistants. Apparently, people who like Pynchon really like Pynchon. I think he's bulky and difficult but also a lot of fun.

Lately I've been on a rabid Updike streak. Maybe you'd like the Rabbit novels, if you haven't read them already? I felt like I was seeing the last five decades of American history through Harry Angstrom's eyes. And the writing, when it isn't too Joycean, feels crisp and new -- Updike was doing his own thing, writing in the present tense back then, and it isn't hackneyed, like a lot of present tense novels seem these days.

Dedalus

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Sheila, it seems you don't read carefully. I was talking about the activities of Oprah's book club, the swinging camera shots of her audience, which consists mostly of women about your age, waving the books over their heads, thrilling to the hype of ... Steinbeck?

Why not thrilling to Steinbeck? It doesn’t seem stange to me, Steinbeck is great! It seems strange that in our society a bunch of people reading him seems strange!

This is a curious cultural phenomenon. I'm not content to say "all reading is good" and complacently leave it at that.

Ok. I don’t know why, but that’s ok.

Anyway, that phenomenon is what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about your teenage years. I'm not talking about your daughter. I never said that only middle-aged women read Steinbeck.
    I am talking about the intersection of commerce and art. And one the one hand, Sheila, I agree with you. I want to live in a world where people read literature. And when millions of people are reading Steinbeck, that's good.

Ok, got it: intersection of commerce and art. You like that people read and that lots of people are reading Steinbeck.

On the other hand, I don't want to live in a world where a single media mogul can so pervasively influence literary trends, nor in a world where an entire demographic does what one person tells it to do.

That is a scary reality.

HOWEVER, if that is what you are really worried about (not literary elitism), it seems silly to worry about Oprah compared to the REAL power brokers out there who control such large portions of America’s media today that they ‘pervasively influence literary trends’ AND political trends, AND economic trends, AND moral trends etc! And they are not just influencing one demographic! Not only that, thanks to the FCC, these same people will now own even GREATER amounts of the media and have even greater influence because of the new change in the law. Now that is something to worry about.

Hell, The Disney Corp scares the crap out of me. Those guys make Oprah look like nothing. And talk about homogenizing and mass marketing literature and art! Look at what they did to The Hunchback of Notre Dame! These guys are criminal!

And you are worried about Oprah having too much influence? She just has one show, a web site, a few books and a charity organization.

I also don't want to live in a world where art is bowdlerized in shallow TV "discussions" ("It's a page turner!"; "It's like a movie!")

I understand that since you are such an intellectual, these ‘shallow’ discussions are at times tedious for you. Obviously the show is not for people as ‘deep’ as you.

Untill you can live in a world where everyone is as smart as you, you will have to put up with these things. I am sure Jehovah will take care of that in the new system!

with merchandise tie-ins (even if this raises money for charity, there's still something creepy about it, and it's that "something" I'm trying to understand).

I’m trying to understand, too.

I have similar reservations about Harry Potter. It's a franchise, but is it literature?

Yes, it is literature. Children’s literature.

Harold Bloom, portentous/pretentious ass that he is, might be asking the right questions. Are people reading for the right reasons?

Do tell: what are the wrong reasons for reading a novel? And who decides that?

Are they even reading for the reasons they think they're reading?

Well, since they are mostly ‘shallow’ people, probably not. Poor dears. I'm sure you know their motivations.

On the other hand, I've been to my share of graduate seminars, and I've seen great books disemboweled by the harsh scalpel of theory, in the hallowed name of "criticism." And I felt that was a disservice to art as well. Academia, with its descent into the exceedingly esoteric world of theory, isn't always doing what it should with literature, and in the wake of that failure, perhaps an Oprah-messiah is needed?

I think she obviously was a positive for just for getting people to read books again.

(Oh, and what is with all this religious language? ‘Oprah messiah’? Humm…perhaps my theory in my post above was correct!!)

Anyway, if you can stay in the context of these remarks, Sheila, you might have something useful to say in this discussion. I'd love for you to disagree with me, but I'd prefer the disagreement to be relevant.

How condicending and rude.

As you can (or can't, or won't) see, I'm not 100% against what Oprah's doing. I recognize that she may be filling a void. I'm obviously ambivalent about it, though.

Ambivalent. Got it.

Interesting comment, and it provokes a question: Do kids read these books because all of the merchandising compels them to

YES

or does the merchandising exist because the kids love to read these books

YES

(and not other books)?

No. Harry Potter just opened the door for my son. Now he is into other science fiction/space type books.

However, my complaint has been less about the way kids read these books, more about the way (some) adults read them.

As for the adults: I dunno. I read the first book and I liked it fine, but I don’t really care to go out and read the rest. So I can’t speak for those adults who you are talking about. I do know that people read lots of different things for different reasons. I don't think adults read Harry Potter for good enough reasons for you. I think they read it for fun.

As for encouraging people to read, the distinction has to be made that she encourages people to read the books she herself selects and endorses

What do you expect her to encourage people to read? Books she doesn’t select and doesn’t endorse?

I doubt that many of Oprah's viewers read without her at their side. This brush with celebrity -- the thrill of reading what Oprah has written and understanding it more or less as she has -- is the draw, more so than the literature itself.

Wow you can read the minds of all those people. Wow.

You have called the people who read books on Oprah’s book list middle-aged, Oprah-messiah followers who engage in shallow discussions of literature just so they can brush with Oprah’s celebrity. You say they would not read if Oprah didn’t tell them to. None of these statements have any basis in objective fact. You lump a great deal of people into one group. You have a bias. You have a prejudice. You are stereotyping, just as Sheila said you were. It is really annoying.

Or so I'd argue.

Yes, you do argue! So do I. (JW hang-over.)

And finally, Dedalus, you were incredibly rude to Shiela in that last post and were a real ….(no name calling allowed on this board, but you know what you were).

I'm sure you were just not thinking when you posted like that.

-LisaBObeesa

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I will definitely get it in the library.
    Thanks for mentioning (for else I should not know that I needed to read it )
    Re: I have read all the Anne McCaffey books also...what can I say simple tastes -
    I not only read them, I have them on my shelves and so are the books of Mercedes Lackey and lots of others (like Harry Potter).
    I just love fantasy.

This comment just popped up reading the first posting - then I read Xena's comment and edited.

Now I read some of the other comments and realize that this thread is N O T going about the topic,
    I will read the whole tread first and possible come back.

Oh, and reading this kind of books is not for an escape - its just fun - like traveling to other worlds.

Branda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit