So, for all you fans of big fat books (like, say, Harry Potter) ...

by dedalus 61 Replies latest social entertainment

• dedalus
    dedalus

My interest in (obsession with?) this topic didn't occur in a vacuum ... does anyone remember the Oprah-Franzen controversy of 2001? She picked his book, he seemed uncomfortable being selected, and there began a controversy not unlike what's been on this thread.

A really good website about it all is here: http://www.complete-review.com/quarterly/vol3/issue1/oprah.htm

An except:

The Oprah-website (Oprah.com) devoted a few pages to The Corrections when it was announced as the latest selection for Oprah's Book Club in September 2001. One of the pages offers an introduction to and description of the book, with a final sentence that sums up:

Richly realistic, darkly hilarious and deeply humane, it confirms that Jonathan Franzen as one of our most brilliant interpreters of American society and American soul.

The typographical slip (or grammatical mistake, whichever you prefer) -- as rather than is, or a superfluous that -- is their mistake. It still reads that way in late January 2002, some four months after this page was first posted. No one has cared to correct the mistake -- indeed, no one seems to care at all.

This small mistake -- and the failure to make any correction -- seems indicative of this whole bizarre affair, where so little attention is paid to detail, where words really don't matter. All that matters is: Oprah !. All that matters is: Franzen. All that matters is: books sales. All that matters is: the triumph of personality over substance (because personality sells and substance doesn't).

A book was selected for Oprah's Book Club -- The Corrections. This book is what should be the center of attention. Instead, attention is focussed on two personalities and on what they say and what they represent. There are accusations and labels: elitism, snobbery, the "high art literary tradition", populism, implied (and actual) endorsements, and much more.

The books benefits: people hear about it, people buy it (though some react by also making a point of not buying it). Maybe people actually read it. But the argument -- the many confused arguments -- swirl elsewhere.

Jonathan Franzen walks around with his foot apparently firmly lodged in his mouth. Oprah Winfrey doesn't deign to comment.

The book continues to sell; perhaps that is all that matters. It seems there really is no such thing as bad publicity. Intentionally or not, Franzen hit the mother lode.

But there are costs and consequences. Not for Franzen: despite the stink around him he can laugh all the way to the bank. He never has to write a word again, never has to worry about money. And if he does want to write another novel, every major publisher would want a chance to publish it. Unassailable Oprah, too, isn't much affected by these events; indeed, there has hardly even been a word of criticism regarding her actions.

The losers ? Books. Readers. Literature -- if there still is such a thing -- and literary culture.

It's a bad thing that happened here, and people don't seem to realize how bad.

Dedalus

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Erm...I may be suffering from a touch of heat stroke here, after all, I live in the southern part of Florida and I mowed my lawn today...I keep seeing dark, long-haired men with stubble and olive branches out of the corner of my eye...but that's beside the point. And please don't accuse me of lacking the ability to read and comprehend what I read...remember, I was raised a JW!!!! Be gentle.

What exactly is the problem? Oprah has a huge audience, she started a book club and has helped launch many careers for writers who might otherwise wither away into obscurity, she's encouraged people to read, AND she's donated the profits to charity! I see it as a win-win situation, even the controversy highlighted above has benefited the author. Regardless of whether one is a fan of Oprah's show or not, surely the positives outweigh the negatives?

Dana, off to be bathed in oil (at least in my head )

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    cynical twenty-something

That says it all

• dedalus
    dedalus

Well, what can I say? As promised, I'll be watching Oprah come discussion time, though any observations I make will be shallowly dismissed, as they have been in this thread. Meanwhile, this is a dead topic; only funkyderek picked up on what I was saying.

My frustration with this thread is also my frustration with this board: few people bother to understand the views to which they so vehemently object, or even keep their objections relevant to the topic at hand.

Dedalus

• riz
    riz

I understood too, dedalus. funkyderek summed up what I was going to say.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Sorry, Riz.

Dedalus

• talesin
    talesin

mulan - yes, that is where my alias comes from. i love the arthurian legend and the merlin & arthur are my favorite characters. i just loved the whole thing abt the avalon training, the relationship of vivianne & taliesin trying to keep the old religion alive, etc., etc.

i tried to pm you, but ended up sending the message to myself (DOH!) haven't quite figured that one out yet.

there's an excellenet series of books by diana gabaldon - can't remember the names of the books offhand. about a 1940s woman who bumps her head and falls through a ring of standing stones in scotland. when she wakes up, she is back in the 1400s(?) just before the jacobean revolution. it's a really great story.

check it out.

• Xena
    Xena

does the end justify the means? in commercializing litature are you cheapening it? depends on whom you ask I guess

I am glad to see more people reading..lol would your rather they watch the made for TV movie ...but I do agree that these things to seem to get out of hand...I enjoy the Harry Potter books very much but am a bit disgusted by all the Harry Potter merchandising I see...I suppose the same might be said for the Oprah Book Club, yes?

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    My frustration with this thread is also my frustration with this board: few people bother to understand the views to which they so vehemently object, or even keep their objections relevant to the topic at hand.

This is a discussion board. I gave you my opinion just as you did. Just because I don't agree with you, does not mean that I did not address what you said.

Also, I chose to address the part that I did because I felt the other part was sterotypying and rude. Reading is fundemental, if we have women reading Steinbeck instead of the Enquirer and getting off on it and waving a book over their head. YEA maybe when they read Steinbeck they will enrich their views, their mind and stretch themselves to see things differently.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Sheila, you only demonstrate the sort of blindness I'm talking about. Your posts reflect so little understanding of what I've written, and you insist on repeating the same tired things over and over.

Also, I chose to address the part that I did because I felt the other part was sterotypying and rude.

Oprah's demographic is what it is -- middle-aged women. I'm not responsible for that. How is it stereotyping to simply state what one observes?

Reading is fundemental,

This is a meaningless cliche, and it doesn't begin to explain what the purpose of reading is. There's a difference between reading a stop sign and reading Harry Potter. There's a difference between reading Harry Potter and reading John Steinbeck. And there's a difference between merchandising, corporate exploitation, the cult of personality and literature as art.

if we have women reading Steinbeck instead of the Enquirer and getting off on it and waving a book over their head.

Who's stereotyping now? I never said middle-aged women read the Enquirer. Never even hinted at it.

YEA maybe when they read Steinbeck they will enrich their views, their mind and stretch themselves to see things differently.

See things differently, or see them the way Oprah tells them to? Maybe -- and this is a question more than a statement -- their minds won't be stretched that much at all. Maybe, several months from now, they will look around at all the stupid tote bags they bought and wonder what the hell they were thinking.

Meanwhile, as you keep repeating the mantra that "reading is fundamental and good," you've once again completely missed the nuances of what I'm saying. For example:

On the other hand, I've been to my share of graduate seminars, and I've seen great books disemboweled by the harsh scalpel of theory, in the hallowed name of "criticism." And I felt that was a disservice to art as well. Academia, with its descent into the exceedingly esoteric world of theory, isn't always doing what it should with literature, and in the wake of that failure, perhaps an Oprah-messiah is needed? As you can see, Sheila, I haven't reached firm conclusions all around.

As you can (or can't, or won't) see, I'm not 100% against what Oprah's doing. I recognize that she may be filling a void. I'm obviously ambivalent about it, though.

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit