So, for all you fans of big fat books (like, say, Harry Potter) ...

by dedalus 61 Replies latest social entertainment

• Brummie
    Brummie

Oprah gets right on my nerds.

Anyhow I really only popped into say hi to Safe4kids

Brummie

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

You have nerds Brummeister?? And hi backatcha, dude

Ok, the title was Before Women Had Wings, by Connie May Fowler...it really struck me b/c I could relate to so much of it.

Dana

• dedalus
    dedalus

OK, so, I appreciate the "light" tone of this thread, and I'm greatly amused at the ribbing I've (deservedly) received over my "pre/post" blunder. However, no one has really addressed the question of my post, which went beyond the superficial "Are you reading this book?" What I want to know is, is anyone else uncomfortable about the Oprah book club, for the reasons I've briefly mentioned, which are fleshed out in the article I posted?

Probably the answer is "no."

Dedalus

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I noticed the bit about it being about tote bags. Just so you know, all the money raised on the book club items she sells goes to charity.

I think it is great she is 'using her power for good.' Encouraging people to read great literature (eduacating, really) and raising money for charity: whats wrong with that?

My 2 cents!

-LisaBOBeesa

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    What I want to know is, is anyone else uncomfortable about the Oprah book club, for the reasons I've briefly mentioned, which are fleshed out in the article I posted?

I find it a bit strange that someobody would read a book just because Oprah Winfrey liked it. To me, that would probably be a reason to avoid it. Having said that, encouraging people to read classics is a good thing (especially if they're the kind of people who normally watch Oprah) but repackaging them so they have Oprah's big fat thumbs-up on the cover is obviously just a marketing ploy. I mean, has East of Eden ever been out of print? Does it need a new Oprah edition or does she need the royalties she'll get every time some housewife buys an Oprah-approved copy?

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Is it just me, or do any of you think it's strange, almost disturbing, to see a bunch of people, almost entirely pre-or-post menopausal women, waving this book over their heads, screaming with the same sort of unbridled glee exhibited on, say, a drabby-housewife-makeover episode?

The above was just RUDE and I don't even like Oprah

Anyone that encourages anyone to read should be respected. Does it matter WHO, also she chose a classic and your stereotyping of the age base it reaches is ridiculous I have read this since I was a teen and I'm 39. My daughter loves the book and is 20?????? Have you read it or just going by something you've read.

I actually have a re-print of the first edition I bought of E-Bay. The story is wonderful as everything of Steinbeck.

The average person doesn't read enough why not read instead of questioning the motives of those that encourage it.

PS This is Sheila not Thunder oops

• Princess
    Princess

Nope, doesn't bother me ded. I haven't read East of Eden...yet...but I might. I don't watch Oprah and don't follow her book club but I agree with Thunder SheilaM. She gets women (and men) excited about reading. I have read several of her book club selections over the years and for the most part, I didn't like most of them. They tend to be unbelievably sad or depressing. Sometimes she strays from those topics and picks something I've already read or was going to read. I noticed she had a Maeve Binchy book on her list, and it was great.

I read every day when I get up and frequently in the evenings. I'm having a hard time putting down Harry Potter right now. Within a hundred pages of the end, but I gotta work sometime! I get to read a bit while my daughter is in Hula this afternoon.

• riz
    riz

I was going to say what FunkyDerek said. He beat me to it. I loathe daytime talkshow hosts and their minions.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    find it a bit strange that someobody would read a book just because Oprah Winfrey liked it. To me, that would probably be a reason to avoid it

Funky: I am in school with kids that DON'T read. We are presently marketing Thunders book and you would not believe the people that READ nothing. Despite the fact that Oprah makes me wanna hurl I applaud that someone is pushing reading. I don't care if Howard Stern gets his own book club whatever can get people reading I am all for. Many of the books are very, very good. East of Eden is a wonderful book. It speaks of the good and the evil in the world and everyone needs to experience that.

• talesin
    talesin

east of eden - a great read, although it's been abt 10 yrs since i read it.

re oprah, at least she's a 'role model' who's got millions reading. and, yes, all the profits from said merchandise do go to charity.

mulan - mists of avalon is one of my top 10 books. what a coincidence you mentioned it as i just watched the movie last nite. i thought the movie left out a lot actually. for instance, all of morgaine's training, how they made the robes from the specially dyed blue thread. the relationships were not really well explored. on the whole, though, a pretty good flick. i think it wud have been better as a mini-series, but they're not too popular these days. it was 'accurate', but imho, not enough detail to really 'get' the story.

if you liked the author, she has written abt 30-40 other sci-fi fantasy books - i suggest the "Darkover" series. they don't have to be read 'in sequence. you'll either love or hate them.

HAPPY READING TO ALL!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit