Growing up a gay Jehovah's Witness (My Life Story)

by m0nk3y 263 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr. Ted
    Mr. Ted

Hello GentlyFeral:

All I have is a memory of an old PBS documentary in which a researcher conducted orientation-changing therapy for months or years and put together a paper to be read at a conference. (By the time the conference occurred, he had collected more info which convinced him his own paper was wrong. He tried to take it off the program, but I can't remember if the conference organizers insisted on it being presented or not. Anwyay, he told everyone at the conference that his own "de-gaying" therapy program didn't work.

Are you thinking of Dr. Gerald Davison, professor of psychology at USC? In 1971 (?) he developed a treatment for homosexuality called "Orgasmic Reorientation." Along with his "research," he made a documentary film of how this therapy would work. He initially believed in his therapy -- but by the time it was shown at the American Psychological Association -- he knew all of his "research" wasn't effective.

Ted

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Mr. Ted,

Are you thinking of Dr. Gerald Davison, professor of psychology at USC?

Yes, that is the man -- thank you!

GentlyFeral

• tartarus
    tartarus

Jring01 Why is it that people can never just leave others alone to find their own path?

It's about choice. Narth provides alternative view and it works for some. And you're right in the end it really comes down to what an individual wants or doesn't want to believe. It's about choice.

• Texman55
    Texman55
    There isn’t anything left to say except I wish I didn’t have to go through all of this to get where I am today.

Oh man. I wish you didn't either. Our family circumstances were different, and my 'nervous breakdown' came years later, long after I'd left the borg.....but your story is my story, baby. And probly most gay people's story in that cult, more or less. We prayed the same prayers, on our knees begging Jehovah for help.....help that never, ever came. We cried the same tears. The same acid of despair ate us away inside, drip by drip.....that horrible inner pain that nothing and no one could ease.....because we knew we were so rotten....dispicable....sinful monsters.....beyond all hope of redemption.....even God hated us.....and we hated ourselves through and through.....we longed for death....and we knew we deserved to die.

Straight people who read these words of ours, many of them just don't get it. They will think we are just dramatizing....living up to some "weird stereotype" as someone has put it recently. But gay people know we are relating the simple facts as we lived them.....the horrors NO straight boy or girl ever has to face, has no concept of.....having no right to exist.....a waste of breath, a waste of flesh. Evil....filthy....sick....perverted....ugly....unmentionable....unnameable.....in the eyes of everyone else it seemed. And not just among the jw's either.....but throughout most of the rest of the population too, "worldly" though they might be. Straight people just don't get it.....until we speak the truth.

They think we celebrate Gay Pride because we think we're so special and better than everyone else.....just arrogant.....but you and I know that's not so.....oh yeah maybe we are a little more fabulous, haha (wink)....but we celebrate our Pride because......WE LIVED. We didn't die, after all......like all the world and even God Himself wanted us to, so we thought.....we lived, we survived.....and somehow, we prevailed against all the darkness that tried to take our lives from us......unlike so many gay kids who didn't.

Your story made me weep for them....for you....for myself. We have to keep telling our stories.....even when straight people tell us to shut up and go away.....because it is The Truth.....and it makes us free.....and them too, if they have ears to hear and eyes to see. Thanks for sharing this powerful story. Love ya man.....all the best.

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

Josh!! wow!!! You are AMAZING!!!!! Thank you for your story!!! It is horrible that thewitness made you feel that way yet I am sooooooooo proud of everything you have done to get where you are!!!! You and Rob really need to talk!!!!!

• BFD
    BFD
    But gay people know we are relating the simple facts as we lived them.....the horrors NO straight boy or girl ever has to face, has no concept of.....having no right to exist .....a waste of breath, a waste of flesh. Evil....filthy....sick....perverted....ugly....unmentionable....unnameable.....in the eyes of everyone else it seemed.

They think we celebrate Gay Pride because we think we're so special and better than everyone else.....just arrogant.....but you and I know that's not so.....oh yeah maybe we are a little more fabulous, haha (wink)....but we celebrate our Pride because......WE LIVED. We didn't die, after all......like all the world and even God Himself wanted us to, so we thought.....we lived, we survived.....and somehow, we prevailed against all the darkness that tried to take our lives from us......unlike so many gay kids who didn't.

BRAVO ! ! ! ! !

Texasman will you marry me?

BFD

• dinah
    dinah

I can only imagine how it would feel to grow up JW and gay, (or any other fundamental group for that matter).

They have a way to make everyone feel worthless and inherently evil as it is.

• Texman55
    Texman55

BRAVO ! ! ! ! !

Texasman will you marry me?

BFD

Sure, babe. Soon as you can get here.

Oh but dadgumit, forgot....already have a BF.....unless maybe you'd be interested in a menage a trois? (wink)

REICHSFUEHRERCENSORS PLEASE NOTE: the preceding message was encoded partly in french specifically to avoid "giving offense to new seekers of Truth." Approved by me (signed) Joe Rutherford (hic)

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi Josh, I only came across your story now. I had a friend back in the JW days - I knew in my heart he was gay, but being a JW boy he also had to fight it. When I left I went to him and told hime no matter what I'd be here for him when he decided to come out....a couple of years later he phoned me up and told me had come out to his family and "friends". Most turned their back on him. I cried over the phone because I was happy he could be open about it and could only imagine HIS relief. We're still friends today!

I'm happy that you had a good ending to your story!

Thanks for sharing.

• oddpotter
    oddpotter

well i'll condense my story some.

I think most gay people go through a period of feeling useless.
    Its scary. You really don't feel human.

The loneliness and fear of discovery is quite overwhelming.

I outed myself when I was 10. I told my parents that I was playing
    around with other little boys. They dismissed it and ignored it.

I outed myself again when I was 20 and at Bethel. I fell in love.
    Its hard to be in love with someone and not be able to tell them.
    I told them and was sent home. It was fairly clear why I had
    been sent home but again the subject was ignored.

Then I finally outed myself for good when I was 30. Left the
    organization. Started a new life.

Being shunned by family and friends is experienced by others
    than gays of course. Being shunned did an enormous amount
    of psychological damage to me which seems to be getting
    worse as I get older.

I'm glad that I have my partner Mitch with whom I have had
    a 20 year long relationship and my friends who I don't
    stay in contact with as much as I should. They all lead
    such busy lives.

Share this

Google+