Growing up a gay Jehovah's Witness (My Life Story)

by m0nk3y 263 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I don't know how I missed this thread. I will go back and read the rest of the story(s).

Josh, I am glad you got out of the WT's influence and are being true to yourself. That should be an easy, natural thing to do...but, we all know it's not that easy. There are always people who think 'their way' is 100% 'right' and can 'rightfully' condemn everyone else for being 'wrong.'

You've showed good courage. Good for you.

Rabbit

• Bufftang
    Bufftang

I just read your story after searching on the internet hoping finally to find some like-minded and supportive people. What I found was somewhat different. Your story basically summed up a lot of the things that I am feeling. I am just coming through the better side of a nervous breakdown, have suffered with what was described as anorexia, but was really just symptomatic of the way that I was feeling. I cried the whole way through reading your story, and by that I don't mean that I was sobbing, but those real tears when they just run down your face.

I have always wondered how those involved in a religion so forgiving and "together" can be so closed off to something that it doesn't like or understand. Having been brought up as a Jehovah's Witness myself and coming out as a result of my life falling apart, with a really nasty break up, my Mum seemed to throw herself back into "the truth" as a result of my words. I can at least be grateful that my family was there in its own way when I needed them, I do wish that they could also have shared in my happiness.

I just wanted to respond to what I had read and to let you know that you have given me some food for thought. I am glad that you have found happiness and I hope that it continues.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Hi Bufftang and everyone else here as well, I do drop in regularly to read your posts but I feel I have fallen silent probably out of shear laziness hehe. Thank you Bufftang for your thoughts and I want to wish you all the best for the future. I am very happy these days being free from the borg. Late last year (during my birthday in fact) Chris proposed to me. So we have the joy of planning our dream wedding, we just booked our place for our reception *GORGEOUS* It's quite overwhelming, I am as you can imagine extremely emotional because I never really thought I would be planning my wedding so yes hehe. My mum and her new husband (who are still JW orientated) are coming and I am honored to have her walk me down the aisle. Without boring you anymore with the details Chris and I are very happy Love Josh

• symoin
    symoin

I want to say thank you for putting your story out there. I also grew up in JW - canberra and had a hard time of it coming out and leaving. I left in 1999 and moved to QLD where i came out a few years later about 23 YO to my family and friends. I really related to your story and would like to extend my love and light to you. I now live in Wellington NZ with the love of my life. I have recently started to reach out to x JWs as a part of healing for myself. It is also in the hopes of meeting up with others so that i can do my part in a recovery net for any x jws that would like help. You have inspired me to start writing my own story so that others can know what i went through. anyway, i just wanted to thank you for your story and for being alive - it sounds like you have made it free from the JWs and are very happy now.

• symoin
    symoin

I want to say thank you for putting your story out there. I also grew up in JW - canberra and had a hard time of it coming out and leaving. I left in 1999 and moved to QLD where i came out a few years later about 23 YO to my family and friends. I really related to your story and would like to extend my love and light to you. I now live in Wellington NZ with the love of my life. I have recently started to reach out to x JWs as a part of healing for myself. It is also in the hopes of meeting up with others so that i can do my part in a recovery net for any x jws that would like help. You have inspired me to start writing my own story so that others can know what i went through. anyway, i just wanted to thank you for your story and for being alive - it sounds like you have made it free from the JWs and are very happy now.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hello, I dont normally read these threads, but I think in overlooking them I am missing another viewpoint in growing up in the Cult. My question is, do you find a higher amount of gays/lesbians that come out of the WT, as opposed to other religions?

• mia_b
    mia_b

One of my best friends in the troof is gay. it's so sad - i haven't seen him for 3 years. he's trying within the borg and managed to not get df'd when his guilt over a realationship with another bro bought them both to confess their "sins" to the borg. we went on holiday together after his split and we spent the whole hol talking about the people we wanted to be with. we sure opened the eyes of the other bro with us!

who btw was WARNED against associating with me "because of what happened between her and her father may have effected her spirituality" he wasn't even in my cong - i never knew the elder and so had to tell about the abuse to someone i didn't really know! so much for confidentiality.

mind you i never got in trouble for going on hol with 2 bros. i think they'd given up on me by that point.

i hope my friend ends up as happy as you one day. maybe i ought to send a link to this post... the borg is so cruel heaping on that guilt to something entirely natural i know what you mean by not being sure about the past - if it didn't happen we wouldn't be us. i might even still be in the borg SHUDDER

• happysherpa
    happysherpa

Hi Josh

reading your story... was very breathtaking, it touched my heart... i have grown up as a JW with confusing sexual feelings... it took along time for me to except that i was gay.

It took along time for me to decide to breakfree from the JW livestyle

I was made to feel very bad.. and i was treated very badly.. i was disowned by my friends and family.. and found myself very alone.

I have met someone very special to me now... but i still sometimes find it difficult mentally.. and physically

i would love to hear from others... who really understand how im feeling and the battles we have to go through.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Glad you're here happysherpa!

Wishing you all the happiness you deserve as a beautiful human being!

• Emma
    Emma

Josh, I'm touched at how your story has brought so many new ones to posting; I wonder how long some may have been lurking. Thank you and welcome to the newbies.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well, Josh. Keep us up to date on the wedding!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit