Overlapping Generations

by JRK 66 Replies latest jw friends

• JRK
    JRK

I remember when that came out, my mother didn't catch it in the original article in the WT. It was in one of the review "Do You Remember" thingies that she caught it. She asked me if it means what she thought it meant. I told her yes, and it took her a while to wrap her head around it, to compartmentalize it so she could move on.

She was an old woman at that point and knew her time was short. I understand that she had invested most of her life in the organization.

What I don't understand is why there wasn't a mass exodus from the religion when they came up with that bullshit. I would have thought half would have left. I guess mind-control is a powerful thing!

JK

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

It caused me to leave. Perhaps ernest can chime in and explain, with knowledge of ancient greek, where jesus ever used the world “overlapping”. Im not counting on it, though

• Dagney
    Dagney

Hi John.

This came out at an assembly right? I remember a friend telling me about it, and that his COBE brother said to him after the talk, "we were duped."

The COBE still going strong, or so it seems. The friend is out, but just out 6 mths or so.

Another friend, former elder now out, said, "it's all BS. It all depends on how much BS you can stand." Although a simplistic statement, I think it's true. For us here, we couldn't take any more BS. Others seem to let more pile up.

Edited to add: I think about this all the time. I can't believe people are still in. I know all the reasons...but jeez louise...it's two thousand f**kin EIGHTEEN!!!!!!!

• waton
    waton
    This came out at an assembly right? I remember a friend telling me about it, and that his COBE brother said to him after the talk, "we were duped."

I think jws want their worldview to be correct so much that they, like the fabricators of that this desperate " let us rescue 1914" ploy, - want to make, will it to come true. The calculation of the long lives involved will take the concept into the failed prophecy centennial though. Die hards indeed.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    What I don't understand is why there wasn't a mass exodus from the religion when they came up with that bullshit. I would have thought half would have left. I guess mind-control is a powerful thing!

Because they are conditioned to believe any kind of bullshit they are told. You have to know that the overlapping generation nonsense is not the first or only nonsensical thing that they throw at them.

That one may look to you like it's so obvious that how come so many people miss it, but I'm sure that's the case with a lot of their other nonsense. It speaks volumes to some JWs and they start wondering, or no effect at all.

• longgone
    longgone

My thought is that although there was no mass exodus immediately, it did make many JW's realize that the organization invents new lies in an attempt to cover up their old lies! Armageddon was supposedly around the corner and still is after over one hundred years. 😒

I gather this from how often it comes up on this forum as one of the reasons that people begin to wake up and leave eventually. It made no sense to me so I started questioning everything else.(Officially disassociated myself last month.)

• asp59
    asp59

Proverbs 28:13

He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.

Think they just should put it out there if they did just so as Bible wrote or if they have committed serious errors in ther explanation.

Cause if this is God organizing and some things are not being bless, they should say what and maybe shut down does areas of worship that are not being bless.

This explantation about overlapping generation and other things gonna become pretty old when organization goes deeper and deeper in trouble now.

• JRK
    JRK

1914 is so lame now. It is a freaking joke. I don't care how much saccharin they shovel on it it is still bullshit. Sweet shit is still shit. 104 fucking years. One generation. I am so glad that I am out. I wish everyone could be, but some chose to stay. What was it that Barnum used to say, a sucker is born every minute?

JK

• maksutov
    maksutov

My JW wife says she takes some things with a pinch of salt. She knows some teachings are BS, but still wholeheartedly believes they are right about most things.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I’ve noticed that some JWs seem to take it almost as a badge of honour, display of loyalty, or high level spirituality, that they “believe” the overlapping teaching without questioning it. It reminds me of the high levels of Scientology, where belief in alien gods and planets or whatever is a sign of advanced understanding or maturity.

I’ve never heard anyone even attempt a rational defence of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit