KiddingMe

Marked

• LogCon
    LogCon

m

• Balaamsass2
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Interesting history for new ones to the site.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

We used to have a lot of such posts on this site, when the likes of AlanF and Leolaia were regular correspondents here. Where have they all gone!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Reading this 16 year old thread jogged a memory I had talking with a brother from Croydon who told me a prominent brother in the London bethel had been reproved due to alcoholism and now worked as a gardener in the Bethel grounds. Could this have been Chitty? I quote from Alan F's first post in this thread where he says: " Likely this contributed to his being dismissed from Brooklyn and reassigned to the London Bethel a few years later. There he worked at an assignment of little responsibility"

Truthseeker

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Ewart Chitty - born c. 1898, died about 1993, must have lived into his mid-nineties.

As a popular song has it - Only the Good Die Young !

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I used to sit at the governing body table for all my meals, when I was at bethel in 1976-1977. I couldn't believe that no one noticed that Greenlees and Chitty were gay. I was only 18 at the time and as a naive JW kid, I didn't really have a grasp on the full scope of what that whole business was all about but I knew something was afoot with these two.

I chastised myself for thinking such a thing but it turns out I was on the right track. Greenlees, was a total flaming gay guy and as I would conclude years later, was like a Scottish Quentin Crisp and Chitty was so old feeble and frail, one could hardly see him as being anything to worry about. He was a walking skeleton with dentures at the time and one couldn't imagine him as ever having any kind of impure thoughts or tendencies.

There was a small swimming pool at Brooklyn Bethel and the one and only time I tried to use it I saw another Bethelite walk out of the Locker room into the pool area,totally naked. He appeared to be so tired that he didn't realize what he was doing because he suddenly stopped, turned around and headed back into the Locker room. I figured he had intended to go into the sauna or take a shower but had somehow in his exhaustion, made a wrong turn. GB member Dan Sydlik and I were the only ones in the pool at the time. When brother Sydlik saw the naked guy, he immediately got out of the pool and headed into the Locker room. Naive me figured the naked guy was going to get chewed out for walking into the pool area where sisters might have been present. Now after reading this post, I'm wondering if there was more going on.

Looking back, I remember being creeped out by seeing the naked old lumpy Dan Sydlik looking at me in the lockeroom as I changed. I remember putting it down to the fact that he was a GB member and the booming voice of Jehovah in the dramas and I was a lowly Bethelite seeing him in a very human and vulnerable state.

I'm thinking about my young trusting and naive self and I am wondering where was Jehovah and his supposed spiritual direction when all this crap was going on at his headquarters? Oh Yeah...it was all a hoax!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit