"Reinstatement Party" Called Off Per The Society

by minimus 96 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    after his reinstatement it took him two months to rise to MS and another three to become elder, to much outrage of the cong. Nobody takes him seriously.

Greven,

What part of the world are you in? I have never, ever, ever, heard of such a thing! In 3 months after re-instatement he was made an Elder? Privledges aren't even re-stored that fast with prayer being the last privledge and this can take 6 months to a year. Never has the society honored such a thing as a position being restored in 3 months after re-instatement.........especially an Elder.

Gumby

• Jourles
    Jourles

Here is yet something else to consider. Ask yourself, why is it that the Society does not want us to applaud or have a party for someone who has been reinstated? It is because "there may be some who have been personally affected or hurt—perhaps even on a long-term basis—by the wrongdoing of the repentant one." But, after reading Jesus' account of the prodigal son, was there anyone against the party the father held? I am going to include the entire parable of the prodigal son in case a few have forgotten how it goes. The bolded part is the primary emphasis:

*** Rbi8 Luke 15:11-32 ***

Then he said: "A certain man had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the part of the property that falls to my share.’ Then he divided his means of living to them. 13 Later, after not many days, the younger son gathered all things together and traveled abroad into a distant country, and there squandered his property by living a debauched life. 14 When he had spent everything, a severe famine occurred throughout that country, and he started to be in need. 15 He even went and attached himself to one of the citizens of that country, and he sent him into his fields to herd swine. 16 And he used to desire to be filled with the carob pods which the swine were eating, and no one would give him [anything].

"When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many hired men of my father are abounding with bread, while I am perishing here from famine! 18 I will rise and journey to my father and say to him: "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Make me as one of your hired men."’ 20 So he rose and went to his father. While he was yet a long way off, his father caught sight of him and was moved with pity, and he ran and fell upon his neck and tenderly kissed him. 21 Then the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Make me as one of your hired men.’ 22 But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quick! bring out a robe, the best one, and clothe him with it, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened young bull, slaughter it and let us eat and enjoy ourselves, 24 because this my son was dead and came to life again; he was lost and was found.’ And they started to enjoy themselves.

"Now his older son was in the field; and as he came and got near the house he heard a music concert and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants to him and inquired what these things meant. 27 He said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father slaughtered the fattened young bull, because he got him back in good health.’ 28 But he became wrathful and was unwilling to go in. Then his father came out and began to entreat him. 29 In reply he said to his father, ‘Here it is so many years I have slaved for you and never once did I transgress your commandment, and yet to me you never once gave a kid for me to enjoy myself with my friends. 30 But as soon as this your son who ate up your means of living with harlots arrived, you slaughtered the fattened young bull for him.’ 31 Then he said to him, ‘Child, you have always been with me, and all the things that are mine are yours; 32 but we just had to enjoy ourselves and rejoice, because this your brother was dead and came to life, and he was lost and was found.’"

How does this parable compare to the Society's view of not "stumbling" someone in the hall by not applauding? The father in this parable basically told his other son to suck it up and accept it. "Get over it becuase your brother came back." Shouldn't witnesses follow both the father and son's example here? The father could illustrate the reinstated one's family or friends in the congregation and the other son could illustrate someone who was wronged by the reinstated one. Or was Jesus in error about this entire parable? Does the Society really know better than Jesus does?

I never thought of the prodigal son before concerning reinstatement in this way. Do you mean that there was actually a topic that Minimus posted that got me thinking???

• Jourles
    Jourles

I just thought of something else. We have a brother in our hall that is working towards reinstatement right now. Since I miss a lot of meetings, I may need to ask an elder when the time nears about when he may be reinstated so I can attend the meeting when the announcement is made. I am going to clap for him and see what comes out of it from the elders. If they try to pull out a Watchtower, I am going to pull rank and throw Luke 15 back at them and see what reasoning they use. Should make for an interesting experience.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Even more WT quotes that back up the father's party(but in no way say you cannot have a party):

*** w91 8/15 p. 28 Do You Remember? ***

How does Jesus’ illustration of the prodigal son show what our feelings and actions should be when someone is reinstated in the Christian congregation? (Luke 15:22-32)

Our goal ought to be to imitate the father, who showed happiness at the return of his prodigal son. Hence, we should freely speak with the reinstated brother and encourage him now to make progress in the truth.—4/15, page 25.

*** w91 4/15 p. 25 Imitate God’s Mercy Today ***

Jesus’ illustration of the prodigal son brings up a danger that we need to avoid. The older brother did not rejoice at the prodigal’s return but was resentful. May we not be like that, harboring ill will over a past wrong or begrudging a person’s being reinstated. Rather, our goal is to be like the father, who illustrated Jehovah’s response. The father was happy that his son, who was lost and seemed as good as dead, was found, or came to life. (Luke 15:25-32) Accordingly, we will freely speak to the reinstated brother and otherwise encourage him. Yes, we should make it evident that we are showing mercy, as our forgiving and merciful heavenly Father does.—Matthew 5:7.

*** w98 10/1 p. 17 Imitate Jehovah’s Mercy ***

The parable of the prodigal makes it clear that Jehovah desires erring ones to return to him. Indeed, he holds the invitation out to them until they prove themselves beyond hope. (Ezekiel 33:11; Malachi 3:7; Romans 2:4, 5; 2 Peter 3:9) Like the prodigal’s father, Jehovah treats with dignity those who do return, accepting them back as full-fledged members of the family. Are you imitating Jehovah in this regard? When a fellow believer, who for a time was disfellowshipped, is reinstated, how do you respond? We already know that there is "joy in heaven." (Luke 15:7) But is there joy on earth, in your congregation, even in your heart? Or, as with the older son in the parable, is there some resentment, as if no welcome is merited for one who should not have left God’s flock in the first place?

Doesn't get any clearer to me. We should imitate the father's example. By following his example, we should throw a party for someone who is reinstated. NO ELDER CAN ARGUE DIFFERENTLY.

• undercover
    undercover

Good application of verses 25-32.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

That's one of my favorite articles, the 'faithful' son gets a pretty good bashing because of his attitude.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Prisca:

A really good book to read on the development of the New Testament Canon is by Bruce Metzger. The book is entitled:

The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance

I got a copy of it from Amazon.com

Jeff S.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

well i think the WTS has a valid point. i mean, instead of spending money on a party, gifts and booze, you could be donating the cash to the WTS instead, which would be honouring jehovah of course, rather then men.

and that is what i think all this anti-party stuff is about, trying to free peoples money for donations instead.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Jehovah was never "mean" or "nasty". Why does the Borg-Org portray God to be so controlling? I would be willing to say that God is upset at the WTB&TS!!

It is obvious that the WTB&TS are after TOTAL CONTROL AND ARE NOT IN THE "GRACE OF GOD"

• Jourles
    Jourles
    you could be donating the cash to the WTS instead, which would be honouring jehovah of course, rather then men.

DOH! Now why didn't that cross my mind before. **slaps forehead**

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit