"Reinstatement Party" Called Off Per The Society

by minimus 96 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    Paul was charged with organizing congregations, congregations in which Gentiles and Jews were to be amalgamated. This is far different than Jesus' task of gathering Jewish disciples and sending them forth to preach the Gospel.

Another gem. Good observation IW

If people knew MORE about "Paul" ..... you know.....the guy that wrote the disfellowshipping policy in (1st.Cor. from which this thread is really based on...........then nobody would be confused, and this whole subject would be clear.

Paul has a bit of a history.

• anotheropenviewpoint
    anotheropenviewpoint

I agree with Englishman... the example of the prodigal son is a good example.

Let's see if they do come out with something in print... I highly doubt it though

and if they are wrong... hey, sae-la-vi so what if they are wrong?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

They already have things in print about this.

• minimus
    minimus

Six, WHERE? Where does it state that family and friends cannot have a get together because a person got reinstated???

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Not sure if you'll find a party directly referenced, but I know they've detailed the "attitude" the cong. should have about a reinstated one. Rest assured, their description of that "attitude" does not resemble the attitude of the father of the prodigal son. Actually, I think there may be mention of parties or gatherings. Maybe blondie will be able to find something, I don't have the CD loaded anymore.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

IW wrote:

Paul was charged with organizing congregations, congregations in which Gentiles and Jews were to be amalgamated. This is far different than Jesus' task of gathering Jewish disciples and sending them forth to preach the Gospel.

Indeed. Paul in fact says that he was to be the apostle to the nations; he did organize congregations, patterned after the jewish congregations.

Is it right? Should what Paul says have the same weight as what Jesus says? If the two conflict, which they do very often, who should we listen to? The WT has always listened to Paul, because Paul brought with him the high need for control and rules that he was used to from his previous religion. Is it right? Should the Christian congregation today be run with the same rigid control that the Pharisees employed in the first century? (Could Paul be wrong about some things? Witnesses can't even think this thought, much less puzzle out what he might have been wrong about and resolve it, because we are not taught to think for ourself or even think critically about anything.)

OR: Is that not what Jesus got rid of? NO longer would worshipers have to be concerned with what a group of men thought was important to please God; Jesus set the standard, just 2 laws: love God with all your heart, mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. Christians would make mistakes and struggle to know what God's will was for them, but it was THEIR place to find it.

And it was not Jesus' intention for Paul to replace one high control religion with another. That, in fact, is what Jehovah's Witnesses, my lifelong religion, has done. The result is what we see today: a group that is elitist, dictatorial and deadly to members who cannot tolerate the high control.

• wednesday
    wednesday

fornication, adultry, smoking. these are the major reasons people get DF. they happen . Would seem to me they could be forgivnen and everyone get on with their lives.

A sad thing for some JW couples is the adultry and remarriage one. I know someone who did this and the husband cannot be "used" by jah until his former wife either remarries or dies. He'll have to wait till she dies, in this case. Seems sort of harsh. people get divorced all the time. Also, in this case, the adultry did not break up the marriage, they were already separted.

In my experience, very few are friendly with the reinstated. A few offer a hand, but they are shunned socially.So much love.(not!)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

IW wrote:

Paul set out many rules, rules that he apparently thought were necessary for the orderly and efficient operation of the congregations he served. In fact the precedents for many of the Watchtower's practices can be found in the writings of Paul.

The key words for me here are orderly and efficient. What about Jesus' life was orderly and efficient? WHY is that even important? The news about Jesus spread like wildfire; it did not need the efficient publishing machine that the Society strives for; such a machine is too much like the very efficient heirarchy of the Jewish system. It was corrupt; it did not fill the needs of the people but it sure did have a nice tidy body of laws and rules that spelled out how to live; Jesus saw fit to get rid of it.

Paul simply wanted to reinstitute the system of congregations of the Jewish systems, this time with the message of Jesus.

Why? Where did Jesus ask for this?

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think Paul was in opposition to Christ. I think that as the congregations grew, special order was needed. I don't think this is contrary to Jesus' teachings. I think the WBTS changes the real meaning of Paul's words and wants JW's to act like the Jews (that lost God's favor)..........Or maybe Paul's opinions were just that.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Pistoff

If Christians are to believe the Gospels they must also believe the rest of the NT. To say that what Paul instructed may not be correct or with the approval of Jesus is to call into question also the inspiration of the Gospels. Either the whole is valid or the whole is in question, it cannot be both ways. All the books of the NT were made valid by the same process, to call that process partially incorrect is to destroy all trust in that process and in the selection of all the books of the NT, including the Gospels. This is the problem Christians have when they attempt to disregard any of what Paul wrote. Such things as head coverings and male headship in the congregation are in the NT and should be practiced by all Christian Churches who claim any part of the NT is inerrant or the word of God. imo

BTW, I am no longer a Christian.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit