"Reinstatement Party" Called Off Per The Society

by minimus 96 Replies latest jw friends

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

IslandWoman... I understand that's the Society's reasoning.

But the fact is... someone who is reinstated is supposed to be "repentant." They're supposed to have apologized to the person whom they hurt, and have proven the validity of their apology through any restitution possible. So they should have received forgiveness.

I know... it doesn't always work that way. But just because the judicial arrangement is screwed up is no excuse for the WTS to ignore clear biblical examples.

Besides, as far as I can tell, the rule applies to all cases, not just cases where there was a victim. There's no room for even the elders--let alone the actual people involved--to use their judgment and discretion based on the facts of the case.

BTW... as far as the 10-rule thing... it's now down to 5 years. I know because my father was d/fed (unfairly). After he was reinstated, the CO and the local elders wanted to use him again (because they knew that his d/fing had been unfair), but they had to wait 5 years or else the Society wouldn't approve it.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo
    She couldn't take being shunned. It mentally got to her.

Poor thing! She needed to have more friends who are not jws.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The question I would like to ask is why would anyone want back in to the Borg in the first place? Not to mention after seeing how controlling the dubs can be if this is not proof. Just shows you how many dysfunctional people there is out there that put up with this controlling type of BS.

Will

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Minimus,

And IW, you speak elderspeak quite well. "The impropriety of sanctioning" such a get-together sounds quite symathetic to the Society and it's approach to such "wrongdoers".

If you have something to say Minimus, go ahead and say it.

Hi Euphemism,

I appreciate your post, thanks. You wrote:

There's no room for even the elders--let alone the actual people involved--to use their judgment and discretion based on the facts of the case.

This is very true. But then it is also true that certain elders many times do not act in a fair or Christian manner and will show favortism to relatives or close friends. The Society cannot count on all their elders to always act with wisdom or fairness, and it will surely happen that some stupid elders would sanction a party for someone who has caused severe hurt and emotional pain to others in the congregation just because they are close to the individual being reinstated.

As for the Prodigal Son illustration, I hardly think that if the Prodigal had raped his older brother or went to bed with his father's wife that the father would have welcomed him as he did. In addition, when publishers are reinstated it has been my experience that for the majority of them there is an overflow of affection and quite a bit hugging from the members of congregation after the announcement is made, and certainly the family of the reinstated JW can have them over for dinner and their friends can do the same. What seems to be the problem is the announced party not a sincere and loving welcome back.

IW

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Keeping people so apart from each other in social situations constrasts so sharply with the WTS pictures in their publications of people gathered together in a picnic setting...all smiling and having a good time. Geez! You'd think the average dub would wonder out loud why they can't participate in such fellowship now....after all, aren't they supposed to be the "New World Society"???

I suspect that the Borg fears that the average rank and file dub would learn a lot from talking to their fellow dubs and comparing notes....Revelation indeed! Better to keep everyone separated and only allow mixing together at the KH where the elders can monitor them carefully.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Keeping people so apart from each other in social situations constrasts so sharply with the WTS pictures in their publications of people gathered together in a picnic setting...all smiling and having a good time. Geez! You'd think the average dub would wonder out loud why they can't participate in such fellowship now....after all, aren't they supposed to be the "New World Society"???

I suspect that the Borg fears that the average rank and file dub would learn a lot from talking to their fellow dubs and comparing notes....Revelation indeed! Better to keep everyone separated and only allow mixing together at the KH where the elders can monitor them carefully.

• minimus
    minimus

Why would anyone want to go back??? Pressure. Companionship. Guilt. Fear. Family. Friends.......And the Society knows this.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    IslandWoman wrote:
    But then it is also true that certain elders many times do not act in a fair or Christian manner and will show favortism to relatives or close friends.

Absolutely. But it goes back to what Jesus said: " Go, then, and learn what this means, ‘I want mercy, and not sacrifice.’" (Mt 9:13) The WTS takes the position that if there's a risk of the elders showing favoritism or otherwise messing things up, it's better to make a general rule on the side of strictness. Jesus' attitude, OTOH, seems to have been that it was better to err on the side of mercy, even if it meant that people would make mistakes.

When Jesus' apostles were arguing about who was the greatest, Jesus didn't endeavor to make some rule that would prevent them from ever doing so in the future; instead, he patiently readjusted them--several times--until they eventually got the point. When he left his apostles in charge of the worldwide preaching work, he didn't give them detailed rules on everything they would need to know (e.g. the circumcision and gentile question) but let them figure things out for themselves through trial and error and research and holy spirit.

This meant that mistakes were made on the way, and controversies that could have been avoided if Jesus had set down rules. (Ac 15:2; Gal 2:14) But by letting his disciples learn for themselves, he allowed them to display spontaneously what was in their heart, and gave them the opportunity to be built up to maturity, instead of remainin spiritual babes, dependent on rules. (Gal 4:1-5; Eph 4:12-14)

There's an excellent discussion of this throughout Ray Franz's In Search of Christian Freedom, but especially chapters 8 and 17.

I want to add that I fully respect your right to your opinion. My thoughts above are just my own opinion, as a practicing Jehovah's Witness, based on the scriptures and personal observation.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Right. Jesus was always merciful. He always put the needs of others as his #1 priority, even if it meant overstepping a law like don't do work on the Sabbath.

I've brought this to their attention, that every law is not black and white, but they don't seem to get it.

And yes, I do remember the parable of the son who returned and a big party was thrown.

Funny thing is, months ago when I was involved with the Borg, I heard an elder's daughter was going to have a HS graduation party. Hmmmm.....

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Euphemism,

You have made some good points. I would say though that while it is true that Jesus did not make rules, that was not the case with the Apostle Paul. Paul was charged with organizing congregations, congregations in which Gentiles and Jews were to be amalgamated. This is far different than Jesus' task of gathering Jewish disciples and sending them forth to preach the Gospel.

The establishing of congregations was a monumental task, one which required the appointment of men to care for the disciples after Paul left. It also required him to address many questions and problems that in the Gospels Jesus did not directly discuss.

Paul set out many rules, rules that he apparently thought were necessary for the orderly and efficient operation of the congregations he served. In fact the precedents for many of the Watchtower's practices can be found in the writings of Paul.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit