October 1, 2017 TO ALL BOE IN NIGERIA Re: Local Needs For the Week of October 16-22

by wifibandit 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ok--lets all agree--the letter is a fake.

but i very good one--with the right idea.

now---how can we improve on it ? need to get a better version out there on the internet.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Whose italics are they in the paragraph about children should be encouraged to see donating regularly as part of their worship? Are they wifiBandits?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Watchtower letters normally emphasise with bold not with bold italiics.

https://jw.servehttp.com/en/letter.php?is=20170918LTC_us.pdf

I think it's a very bad idea to fake a letter like this. How can we know what's real in future? How can historians and journalists document authentic developments of the organisation? Very troubling, actually.

• sir82
    sir82

It seems the claims of "fakeness" here are based exclusively on the awkward syntax used in the letter.

I'm not convinced that is the end-all and be-all for determining authenticity.

Have you heard Nigerians speak English? The wording of the letter fits in with the patterns I have heard from natives.

If the letter originated from the Nigerian branch, I don't find the language all that odd.

I would not be so quick to dismiss it based on merely awkward phrasing.

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

If the letter came from the Nigerian branch office, then the language and verbiage are not off to me. This African use of English is not unusual, even well educated Nigerians will not usually sound like westerners, even brainwashed ones.

My question is about a letter from the branch read out for a local needs mtg. I guess that would for if the congregation is seeking assistance from the branch to pay local bills which seems to be an issue.

The WT doesn't really want to be supporting poor people in Africa, they don't feed them, why would they provide a meeting hall?

• flipper
    flipper

To actually say " contributing is part of your worship " ? WTF ? Whatever happened to the old adage by Russell back in the 1800's that " we will never beg for donations " ? Oh that's right- THAT was Russell - these WT leaders are nasty corporate sharks swimming in the water looking for financial bloodletting out of JW's wallets. Incredible how demented this organization has gotten

• sir82
    sir82

To actually say " contributing is part of your worship " ? WTF ?

They've been saying that for decades. "Honor Jehovah with your valuable things" and all that.

What has changed is the frequency and urgency of that message. It used to be an occasional feature of a WT study article, in the rotation every 2 or 3 years.

Now it seems to be about every 2-3 months, along with videos & letters.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Whatever happened to the old adage by Russell back in the 1800's that " we will never beg for donations " ?

Flipper, that went by the wayside a couple of years ago. The begging has been fairly constant on jw tv and in the watchtower, along with ATMs at conventions and online payment forms.

I doubt any of the new recruits have any idea what Russell said, or for that matter even care who Russell was.

I've only been gone 10 years and barely recognize the religion. I actually want to go back to a meeting to see what it is like these days.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    If the letter came from the Nigerian branch office, then the language and verbiage are not off to me. This African use of English is not unusual, even well educated Nigerians will not usually sound like westerners, even brainwashed ones.
    Not saying the letter is fake one way or the other but you forget that branches in Africa still have their fair share of white Westerners in senior positions just to keep the locals nicely in line.
  • freddo
    freddo

Two more "concerns".

1. The branch address on the letter is different from the one currently shown on the jwborg website although it matches the printed address at the back of the 2016 yearbook, (could there be two locations like Patterson and Wallkill etc?) although the phone number is correct if phoning internally.

2. The bible verses quoted are 1984 NWT not 2013 RNWT. As an English speaking country (official language) why are they not using 2013 RNWT?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit