Has your life gotten better as an athiest/agnostic?

by StinkyPantz 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanF
    AlanF

I think he's nice, but stubborn too, SP. But being stubborn because you have facts behind you is different from being stubborn because you "just believe". One is reality-based and the other is valueless.

Oxnard needs to learn the value of not "just believing". There are plenty of resources that people on this board can point him to, if he really wants to learn. I suspect he may be testing the waters here, with people he knows can debate with facts. Otherwise why would he waste his time? Without facts he knows perfectly well he's not going to get to square one with hard-headed ex-JWs, nor will they tolerate his preaching, even though it's a subtle kind of preaching.

AlanF

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

AlanF-

I totally understand what you are saying. 'Course, I'm not the one with the issues. . . Maybe a part of Ox Ham will calm down and at least read. OR he'll refrain from getting involved in debates until he has "accurate knowledge" of both sides.

I was a bit offended by something he said to me while we were chatting. He said that a year from now, he'll have a career and a wife and won't have time for petty stuff like research. That affected me because I'm married and a student and I work, but I still see a value in research. He made it sound like I have no life since I care about such things. He also knows that I am a Forensic Science major and that's why scientific proof is so valuable to me. He basically said it was a waste of energy, faith is all that's needed. Oh well. .

• AlanF
    AlanF

SP, if Oxnard said stuff like that, then he's a complete moron.

AlanF

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Well, we just see things differently I guess. I refuse to base anything on faith, and for him, that's enough. I guess if that makes a personal comfortable, that's fine with me.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    SP, if Oxnard said stuff like that, then he's a complete moron.

A moron with better things to do than sit around and try to act smarter than everybody else. Hate to burst your bubble people, but there are a lot of people that don't look at all the evidence from every side. I think I'll take SP's advice and stay out of these threads. I want to enjoy life for a change.

If you all want to sit around and get paranoid every time a believer comes by, then go ahead.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    I was a bit offended by something he said to me while we were chatting. He said that a year from now, he'll have a career and a wife and won't have time for petty stuff like research. That affected me because I'm married and a student and I work, but I still see a value in research. He made it sound like I have no life since I care about such things. He also knows that I am a Forensic Science major and that's why scientific proof is so valuable to me. He basically said it was a waste of energy, faith is all that's needed. Oh well. .

Well talk about being able to dish it out and not take it. You can force things down my throat I'm obviously not interested in. You can insult me. Insinuate that I'm ignorant, dumb, and uneducated, yet when I make a comment that offends you, heaven forbid. Not only do you take offense, but you have to run back to your group and rat on me.

Well boo hoo hoo SP.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Well, Oxnard, it appears that you did indeed express the totally moronic opinion that research is worthless.

Only morons continue advancing moronic opinions when challenged.

AlanF

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Ox-

Do you see that your words are insulting those that have spent time doing research? It's not cool. You want people to respect you, but you aren't respecting other people. I chatted with you offline hoping to come to some understanding and possibly make a friend.

A moron with better things to do than sit around and try to act smarter than everybody else.

Who is doing this, and how? If you are referring to AlanF, he acts like he's smarter because he is (sorry Alan, I'm sure that you won't like me saying that), he can't help but sound intelligent . Hehehehe.

Hate to burst your bubble people, but there are a lot of people that don't look at all the evidence from every side.

What a sad, sad thing to admit. I hope that you never sit on my jury.

If you all want to sit around and get paranoid every time a believer comes by, then go ahead.
    Actually, I think most of us are more confident than paranoid. I respect many believers. Take Jgnat for example: she is one of my all time favorite posters. We disagree on lots of issues, but she has taken the time to calmly and respectfully explain stuff to me. I get hotheaded sometimes, but she has acted in a "Christlike" way when dealing with me. It's actions like these, that keeps my respect level high for Christians and athiests alike.
  • Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    Well, Oxnard, it appears that you did indeed express the totally moronic opinion that research is worthless.

Only morons continue advancing moronic opinions when challenged.

If I'm so moronic, then why are you wasting time with me?

"Who is more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Oxnard said:

:: Only morons continue advancing moronic opinions when challenged.

: If I'm so moronic, then why are you wasting time with me?

Because I think you have some potential. "Hope springs eternal" is one way to put it. Perhaps these discussions will gradually percolate into your thinking apparatus and turn on some lights.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit