What Is Your Favorite Jewelry???

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I have always loved rings and earrings--I still have two holes in each ear, but I have not been able to wear much for the last few years because of health reasons. I have never really liked necklaces because I have a short neck, unless they are the pendant type or long strands of pearls--my favorite. But lately I have been getting into bracelets and even made my own charm bracelet last year. I have always worn ankle bracelets too, and still do even tho I have gained weight.

Brooches are nice with blazers and sweaters and coats. I don't wear many scarves because of the short neck aagain, but I like pretty brooches and have a few old family ones.

Ravyn

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    diamonds are more valuable than rubies

Introduction:
    Ruby is the most valuable member of the corundum group, which also contains sapphire. While rubies and sapphires share a chemical composition, the materials that give ruby its color occur less frequently than those that give color to sapphire, therefore, ruby is more rare. Some large, fine quality rubies are more valuable than comparable diamonds. There are no specific rules for differentiating a pink sapphire from a ruby. Rather, it just makes sense to market lighter stones as fancy pink sapphires as opposed to lower quality rubies. Ruby is taken from alluvial deposits because mining its primary sources is not economical. Some government-owned mines use machinery, but most ruby is collected in a primitive fashion by washing river gravel and sand and then picking the valuable material out by hand. The July birthstone is one of the most popular gemstones and is designated for the 40th wedding anniversary.

History of...
    In ancient times and through the Middle Ages, the word ruby was used to refer to all red gemstones. No distinction was made between ruby, pyrope, spinel, and almandine. In fact, many famous rubies from assorted European royal jewelry have since been recognized as spinels. Some of these are the Timur Ruby and the Black Prince's Ruby. In 1800, the word ruby was assigned to red, gem-quality corundum. Today rubies are often cut in the countries where they are found. Cutters in these countries focus on maintaining maximum weight, so sometimes the stones have to be re-cut to correct proportion problems. In the 20th, century synthetic rubies with remarkable similarities to their natural counterparts were developed. The synthetic stones can be identified by their tendency to transmit shortwave ultraviolet light, a characteristic that natural rubies do not posses.

Care Tips:

• minimus
    minimus

That may be true Shelia, but generally speaking, diamonds are normally worth more than rubies.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Min,

One must also take into account the worth of the giver to set value on the gem. I would rather posess a chunk of coal given by a friend than a diamond from an enemy.

Of what value is a honking rock in an engagement ring possesed by a woman in a loveless marriage?

I don't know anyone of substance that would judge a piece of jewlery as their favorite based solely on the "cash value" of the item.

Thunder

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

hey Thunder!

you mean to tell me if an enemy gave you a diamond you wouldn't sell it and buy a new Harley?

I would.

Ravyn

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Point taken Ravyn!

• minimus
    minimus

"One must take account the worth of the giver to set value on the gem."......Tell that to the jeweler that buys the "gem". I don't think he'd care.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    One must take account the worth of the giver to set value on the gem

Simpleton, he was speaking of a GIFT not a business transaction. Also, I don't know how you totally missed what I said about my engagment band and why I chose the stones I did. But I think you don't bother to read others posts and THINK about what they said before you come up with an elderish quip, which has neither relevance nor fact behind it.

• minimus
    minimus

Isn't calling someone "simpleton" being "rude"?.......I do and did read all your comments. Now what is "an elderish quip"? Is that like a "publisher's rebuttal" or one of the "rank-and-file's complaint"?

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

An Elderishquip is something you spew on a daily basis. You don't bother to 'read with discernment." You just spew. That was not as rude as you were on Stinky's thread. I think you are what I thought you were a borg drone. One of those sniveling little elders with the comb over that has to belittle others to feel better about himself and his lack of a life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit