On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Cofty

Our beliefs should be commensurate with the evidence. That is what it means to be rational.

There's the issue that I see. There is simply no existing 'evidence' that one person would accept for what another person might have seen or experienced. Plus the 'evidence' provided by science evolves over time.

I understand that you do not take into consideration whether or not the belief is beneficial to the believer and those around her/him?

Before you go any further constructing a straw man please go back and read my first post on this thread on page 1 carefully.

Now this is what I'd call a bit over-'robust'. Not quite an ad-hominem, but perhaps a beginners attempt at mind-reading?

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Belief changes but evidence does not! Science evolves with understanding of new discoveries not new light.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

IMHO ...the best way to frame the OP's argument is to avoid, if humanly possible, debating like Donald Trump and instead debate like Ronald Reagan.

....of course I could be wrong.

@ poopsiecakes - thanks for inserting that emoticon. I truly got a good laugh from it.

• cofty
    cofty
    There is simply no existing 'evidence' that one person would accept for what another person might have seen or experienced - RV

Personal "experience" is by definition subjective and does not count as objective evidence.

Plus the 'evidence' provided by science evolves over time. - RV

So what's your point? The scientific method discovers new things every day. Theology hasn't added a single thing to the sum total of human knowledge in thousands of years.

you do not take into consideration whether or not the belief is beneficial - RV

I do unless the person is trying to also pretend their beliefs are true.

Now this is what I'd call a bit over-'robust'. Not quite an ad-hominem, but perhaps a beginners attempt at mind-reading?

I have no idea what you just said but your obsession with "tone" is tedious in the extreme.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

TS100

Belief changes but evidence does not! Science evolves with understanding of new discoveries not new light.

I entirely agree with your point as I understand it. The misuse of 'new light' by the Watchtower is a joke.

'Evidence' - by which I mean reproducible results given the same experimental conditions - does not change, but can be refined and the accepted theories for the results can change.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Purpose apparatus method and observation that's what leads to new understanding.
  • Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Cofty

Personal "experience" is by definition subjective and does not count as objective evidence

Exactly. But that does not mean it cannot or should not contribute to a person's belief system

So what's your point? The scientific method discovers new things every day. Theology hasn't added a single thing to the sum total of human knowledge in thousands of years

I thought this was about respect for beliefs rather than theology. Dare i whisper 'strawman'?

I do unless the person is trying to also pretend their beliefs are true.

Good. But we are well beyond the over-simplification of 'truth' as the watchtower uses it, I hope. In fact, if the person is trying to force beliefs on others as 'truth', I would agree with you

I have no idea what you just said but your obsession with "tone" is tedious in the extreme.

Perhaps you are tired. Let's continue another time.

• cofty
    cofty
    I thought this was about respect for beliefs rather than theology. Dare i whisper 'strawman'?

Go back to the context and you will see it is specifically about respect for theological beliefs. So no not a straw man at all.

we are well beyond the over-simplification of 'truth' as the watchtower uses it

Truth is about beliefs that align with reality. Religious superstitions don't qualify.

Perhaps you are tired. Let's continue another time

Perhaps you are finding it difficult to express yourself succinctly. Let me know when you work out what you wanted to say.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Well, since you insisted, Viviane.

I insisted on nothing. At least try to be honest before you attempt to demean others. Otherwise, we would have to call your reputation into question and therefore dismiss every single thing you say until you provide evidence to corroborate.

Since we've already seen you fallaciously suggest someone insisted on something, explain in detail why anyone should trust another word you say? You claim the truth and prove nothing but false to it. Why, in other words, should not every word you speak be treated as suspect since you've already lied and said I insisted on something? Why should we not expect you to be lying again?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Explain how have I lied?

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit