On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

CL

lol.

• bohm
    bohm

Coded Logic: Those are good rules, you idiot!

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

@ LisaRose - following are some gems I found, author will remain anonymous although they will likely recognize their handiwork:

It's somehow comforting to see that stupid posters are still proud of their ignorance and still posting away, proving stupid is something we can't fix, like a mental disorder

Perhaps you heard it in your head when you made it up. People often hear voices when they're confused.

Define god, calling yourself that is in no way a definition, no more than sticking feathers up your butt makes you a chicken.

We're still very SHORT on people making smart comments. Anyone?
    Protip: Adding "evidently" to your own mistake doesn't make me look bad. You screwed up. It happens. You let your feelings for me get the best of you.
    I've asked that several times. Stuff won't even response. Apparently his devotion to epistimiology extends to and embraces "Run away! Run away!"
    Well, we're stil SHORT on people with actual contribution to the thread than people SHORT on knowledge that think they contribute to the thread. Who will step up and stop this SHORTage?/also, tiny penises and brains
    So get off the internet, stop driving, taking medicine, using the internet, taking a plane, a train, eating, turning on your lights, drinking water, etc., because all of that comes to you courtesy of the same science you deride.
    What you just wrote has nothing to do with knowing the case of an ulcer. Fact. Thank you for yet again showing your lack of qualifications and errors in thinking in voicing your opinion. Your fallacious derision is noted and dismissed.
    I always make sure that I can back up what I post. You're lack of ability to do the same is not my problem.
    To be fair, whether not I want something is irrelevant. It's about what you want. If you want to be taken seriously, the back up your claims. That you're obfuscating and prevaricating and attempting to blame me for you failure in the equivalent of a childish tantrum doesn't harm me, it simply shows you're not yet ready for a rational, evidence and fact based discussion.
    That is absolutely untrue. Once again you show an uninformed and uneducated opinion on the topic.
    Your derision is apparent and misplaced and simply shows how little know of science or how it works. Basically, you're showing that you've an opinion not worth anything.
    You're free to stop using anything that is a result of science if you truly think it has so little value. Before you do, however, understand that a theory in science is supported by evidence, experiment, observation and has been shown to have predictive powers.
    All you've shown is that you fundamentally have no knowledge of the very thing you use to tell us how lacking it is.
    Religion is a horrible influence and requires the denial of reality to pretend it's not.
    I often let men pretend they're winning. It's a small thing that means a lot to them and nothing to me. Much like other things they think are more important than they are.

That misogynistic attempt to dismiss women has always struck me as coming from a man that was either to lazy or dumb to bother learning how to interact with women, either from fear or from deep seated insecurity around them, feelings of inadequacy, concerns about his manhood (size and/or performance are usually the most common there), perhaps a sneaking suspicion that most women are smarter than him, therefore the best course to be safe is derision.

This is often seen in men who are part of the "Going Their Own Way" movement, claim to be pick up artists or to have "taken the red pill".Somehow, they've reached the point in their life where they quantify a human by their genitals. It's very sad to see because, were it not for the deep seated fear and anger issues causing comments like the one above, they may well possibly find a good relationship with a woman. Of course, that's assuming they aren't non-heterosexual and using the misogyny as a cover to hide that.

Well, actually, you've that exactly backwards, which in no way surprises me. The atheists here are point out facts and asking questions and refusing to believe something just because someone says so, the opposite of how elders work and how those promoting prophecy are acting.
    I think you are just indiscriminately throwing around the pejorative "just like JW elders" because facts and reason don't support your particular evidence free assertion and you've no recourse other than insults to support your side. I mean, if you had actual evidence and an actual prophecy that matched, it should be easy to show, and you've not done that.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Yes indeed we find some fantastic "gems" on this site "Tenacious" but I think this thread is more about possible appeard rudeness in some posters comments. A rudeness we would not tolerate in our daily life, so why should we on a debating forum?

Personally I have no problem with any poster. if I did I would report them, if it was concluded I was being over sensitive then I would simply not engage them.

The Rebel

• Simon
    Simon

I agree. The posting guidelines are quite clear about what sort of thin is acceptable without being prescriptive.

There will be people who push the limits just as there are people who are overly sensitive to their ideas being challenged. The most fallout happens when those two meet on a topic.

Generally, religious beliefs are there to be challenged and ridiculing them is a valid part of that. If you don't want your beliefs questioned then you should keep quiet about them - keep them in a locked box at home and only take them out there or at your church.

Political and sociology are also up for question. Again, if you are so precious that you can't accept other people's facts or opinions then you probably shouldn't post your online or should find a group that completely agrees with your views (an echo chamber).

Insults and threats are never OK. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong - if you are calling names and being a jerk then you are wrong and if you don't tone it down you'll eventually be prevented from posting if you don't take the chances offered.

There are people who intentionally try to offend or take offense. I think it's right to be intolerant of them.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    following are some gems I found, author will remain anonymous although they will likely recognize their handiwork:

Those ARE gems and I wrote most if not all, I believe. Great examples of witty, on topic and in context brilliance.

Since you clearly have a problem with me, can you show me where I called anyone stupid, lazy, an asshole, etc? How is it derogatory to point out that someone doesn't have knowledge of the topic they are discussing? How is voicing my opinion on religion insulting someone? Explain, please, how pointing out the misogyny in dismissing female posters comments as "oh, you must be PMSing" insulting anyone? BTW, one of those you posted was me and Morpheus, who get along swimmingly, bantering and joking about Van Halen, so it's clear you're cherry picking without context.

Tell me, if that is the situation, why should we listen to you? If the only problem is that you find them objectionable (which is what Lisa asked Eden for), well, then, I'm very strongly apathetic to that. If I am insulting someone, well, then we should address that specifically, but so far you've not shown a single example of that.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Eventually, if I'd bother to go back and dig up some past threads, it wouldn't be difficult to find examples of what I've said. But I won't. You may say that I'm refusing to back up what I'm saying with "evidence", but I simply don't want to go there, it's just stirring s**t. If someone wants to heed to this, fine. If not, then the thing I'll continue to do is to stay away from polemic threads. I don't have a need to prove I'm right on this. There's a life beyond these forums, and I have enough stress already, with consequences to my health. I don't need additional stress, and, frankly, when it comes to adults, it shouldn't be needed to explain what urbanity means.

Eden

• bohm
    bohm

This forum allows very wide definition of free speech and I think it is that much better for it. If people could be banned for being offensive or rude I would not like to be here and I can't imagine the forum not collapsing with endless bickering about partiality, what constitute rudeness, etc.

But if the forum allows posters to be (near at least!) as unconstructive and rude as they like, the upshot is it is possible to point this out and disagree with the delivery. If someone call someone a fool for not understanding evolution, it should be allowed to say this too is a foolish way to respond.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Eventually, if I'd bother to go back and dig up some past threads, it wouldn't be difficult to find examples of what I've said. But I won't. You may say that I'm refusing to back up what I'm saying with "evidence", but I simply don't want to go there, it's just stirring s**t.

You've already gone there by even bringing it up, you're just not backing it up or following through.

I don't need additional stress, and, frankly, when it comes to adults, it shouldn't be needed to explain what urbanity means.

Agreed. Urbanity would include thing like, oh, say, if you make accusations, being able to prove it. It's just common courtesy.

What I find rather interesting is that most, but not all, going on about "unfairness", "insults", "objectionable posts" are the same ones that are part of a blood cult that promises to murder and torture me for eternity, that follow a book that endorses slavery, murder, genocide, rape and misogyny and will gladly tell you that you're going to hell but flip the F out if you point out that they might not know what they are talking about on a subject or don't like religion.

The others, I find, love to be snide, rude, to tell others what to do, but if they ever feel like they've gotten a bit back, they cry for the whole forum to see how they've been abused.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

A month ago I started a thread titled " You are a lazy brained, narcissistic whining ass attention seeking whore....." Unfortunately this thread was closed within only two hours. I assume the thread was closed because of my confrontational title. But why I started the thread was to show we can all get along . It should be noted that although the thread lived less than two hours it had 29 replys with everyone giving each other thumbs up, and having a laugh. This showed despite having been in confrontation we can all get along.

My point is if we want our point of view to be respected, let's not take ourselfs or our point of view so seriously.....

Th Rebel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit