On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Viviane
    Viviane

I asked a question early on that no one bothered addressing. If there is a feeling that we need to respect others beliefs, do you (assuming you feel that way about NAMBLA's beliefs? Anti-vaxxers? Religious people that believe in prayer over antibiotics or surgery to save their life or their child's life?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Well, since you insisted, Viviane...here are a few examples, and the author(s) aren't named. You know who you are.

that sanctimonious, untruthful and malevolent humbug and scoundrel was seen off by me a long time ago.
    You're probably a little simple-minded, which is perfectly all right.
    Let me guess. Your an uneducated, living-in-your-mother's-basement- 300 pound bald man, with no social life aren't you ?
    XXXX you're an imbecile.
    You are truly a perfect Christian. Utterly ignorant and utterly dishonest.
    What a self righteous sanctimonious idiot.

As for examples of exchanges that took place between me and you, Viviane, remember that Simon removed many of those from the threads, so they cannot be found anymore. And, by the way, if you care to re-read what I wrote earlier on this thread, my remarks weren't aimed particularly at you, or Cofty, or anyone in particular, but you both seemed to take exception with it. Makes one wonder why.

It's also part of "urbanity" to admit when one has stepped over the line. I did a few times on this matter and frankly, I don't want to be put in a situation where I'm pushed to be that kind of person. That's why I ask those who frequently do this to change their attitude - hopefully they're able to admit that about themselves.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Bohm, just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree with your post.

Eden

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Tenacious, thank you for giving examples. In reading through them, I find some went over the line in making a point, but others I don't see the problem. I don't have the context, so it's hard to know on some of them

For example

It's somehow comforting to see that stupid posters are still proud of their ignorance and still posting away, proving stupid is something we can't fix, like a mental disorder

I feel this comment went too far. If it were my forum I would probably not allow that kind of thing, because it is insulting the person, not the comment, but it's not my forum. But as Simon pointed out, it is a discussion forum, if you cannot handle criticism, you should probably not be discussing your beliefs on it. I also don't know the context, perhaps the person was being deliberately obnoxious, I've seen some pretty stupid things posted here.

I always make sure that I can back up what I post. You're lack of ability to do the same is not my problem.

I don't see the problem here. There is no name calling, the person is simply pointing out that the person did not prove their point. The tone was a bit insulting, but if we didn't allow that kind of thing there wouldn't ever be any discussion of weighty topics. There isn't a forum on the internet that doesn't have that, most are a lot worse.

I have criticized other in the past for being insulting, but then I noticed that those getting the most ridicule were often people who refused to engage in any meaningful discussion, they simply wanted to spout nonsense and not be challenged. That isn't going to happen here and I wouldn't want it to.

All ideas and opinions are not equally valid. What the insulting posters are trying to do is to make people think, and to do that you sometimes you have to be blunt. If it distresses you to read that kind of thing, then you should stay out of controversial threads, or go to a different forum, there are plenty of them out there. I personally don't usually like insulting people, it's not my style, but I do think those people who do that often have very valid points. It might be good to just read their posts, with out any judgement about tone or manner, and see if there might be something for you to learn.

• cofty
    cofty
    if you care to re-read what I wrote earlier on this thread, my remarks weren't aimed particularly at you, or Cofty, or anyone in particular, but you both seemed to take exception with it. Makes one wonder why. - Eden

Leave me out of it unless you have a specific complaint about something I have said.

I do not insult people - I do attack bad ideas robustly. For that I will never apologise. It is by protecting bad ideas from reality that millions of JWs remain enthralled by a cult.

I totally reject the assertion by STA that started this - "I don't care how empirical evidence you can gather. Even when you have a solid foundation for your claim, it doesn't entitle you to convince others either."

That is a totally unreasonable position as is the title of this thread.

It is foolish to ask for beliefs to be respected. If a belief is objectively true then it does not require our respect or assent. If it is false then it should be dismantled mercilessly.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Respecting people while having contempt even disgust for their beliefs. Its not always easy.

I've taken the position that attacking a person's beliefs is a form of assault BUT withholding useful information from someone who would benefit is selfish and lazy. It all has to do with the emotional state and openness of the person.

• cofty
    cofty
    attacking a person's beliefs is a form of assault

Unbelievable!

So if I go up to a couple of JW elders at a cart and ask them how they justify their history of false prophecy that is a form of assault is it?

When you use words so carelessly you trivialise their actual meaning.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    Sorry to have raised you dander Cofty but I stand by my comment. Attacking any aspect of a persons identity, including beliefs, is psychological abuse. 'Attacking' being the operative word. Sharing, discussing, even challenging another's beliefs can be done without attacking. Attacking is violent, abusive and insulting and never appropriate in normal social interaction. Further, if either or both parties are unwilling to calmly discuss a topic, there is little hope of an increase in understanding taking place.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Attacking a person's belief is healthy. Free speech should never be condemned.
  • poopsiecakes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit