On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    The Rebel: It would be interesting if we had statistics, of those prominent posters like minimus, blondie, Viviane, Cofty& ,EdenOne. I wonder of those posters which have been most helpful in helping assisting Simons intended purpose with the forum, which is to help those people through their Watchtower exsperience.
    Anyway my vote goes to...
    Number 3 . Blondie
    Number 2 Minimus
    Number one....( after the remission)

Rebel, this forum is not a competition.

We don't measure worth on how many people a poster has "saved".

Everybody has worth.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Absolutely OpenCrow, that was never my suggestion. But when the brain is a silent immovable rock, trapped in a captive Jehovers Witness mind, it needs compassion and answers. Now I am not saying we should all be full of love and not challenge a posters deeply held believes. All I am saying is some posters, can respond to posters deeply held beliefs, ( particularly when they are very fragile) and be as challenging but with more sympathy and understanding than other posters.

The Rebel.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    TheRebel: Absolutely OpenCrow, that was never my suggestion. But when the brain is a silent immovable rock, trapped in a captive Jehovers Witness mind, it needs compassion and answers. Now I am not saying we should all be full of love and not challenge a posters deeply held believes. All I am saying is some posters, can respond to posters deeply held beliefs and be as challenging but with more sympathy and understanding than other posters.

*pssst...it is "Orphan" Crow...

You are right that a person's "cult brain" needs compassion and answers. Some people are going to give you compassion, and others are going to give you answers. As the old saying goes - "the truth can hurt".

Don't ever forget that those posters who you perceive as not being sympathetic and understanding are also in recovery.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

OrphanCrow, I am a White Dove.

Take care.

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Some posters must write from the heart, and they should be at liberty to do so. They cannot do that if the ideas from the heart are crushed without sensitivity.

Yes, they can. They just can't expect a free pass because it's "from the heart". If a WT apologist came on this forum and wrote, from the heart because they really really really believe they did the right thing in letting their child die rather than get a transfusion, would you support that?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Oh Viviane...When I said some posters must write from the heart, i actually meant posters should be allowed to express themselfs without the fear of those words being held up to the light and ridiculed with a different context to that in which they were written.

Anyway, it's,Friday evening that time of night me and my boy play football. so have a great evening Viv, and please no fighting with other posters unless absolutely necessary.

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    When I said some people must write from the heart, i actually meant posters should be allowed to express themselfs without the fear of those words being held up to the light and ridiculed with a different context to that in which they were written.

What does "writing from the heart" have to do with someone quote-mining?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Viv when a person says goodnight and have a good evening, most people respond with " and you also have a goodnight" But not Viv...

The Rebel.

• DogGone
    DogGone
    If someone has to write a long, detailed explanation of "well, yeah, you didn't really do this but here is why I feel justified in claiming it anyway", it's not ignorance. It's a rationalized lie.
    That makes a lot of sense. That is not how this unfolded. You disagreed with Eden's "belief" that you had "insisted". In your initial reaction to Eden you asked him to explain in detail. But, you did not leave it there, you attacked "the believer" questioning whether anyone should trust another word he says, that every word was suspect as he had "already lied". You did that before he answered your request with a detailed explanation. You can disagree with his explanation, but don't reconstruct the order of events.

As you said, at best it could have been ignorance. Why, prior to Eden going on a protracted defense did you call into question his integrity? This has been done to you several times, it is wrong. I find it entirely illustrative of the OP, of attacking the believer instead of the belief.

See, you're doing it now as well. Using a synonym of a synonym of a kinda close idea to link a word that doesn't at all mean what you're now claiming it does. Shame is in no way a synonym of "insist". Using such lazy thinking, saying "dinner's ready" is insisting someone eat.
    Fair point. Words can have fuzzy boundaries. I have tied a dictionary definition of insist, namely "press", and demonstrated how repeating a request indirectly and using shame is a form of pressing. It is fuzzy, even, as you say, lazy. It is not precise language. That is not the question, though. The question is whether it is a lie. It is vernacular usage despite your insistence "it isn't". Further, the question is whether it is justified to immediately launch into an attack on a "liar" and the entire integrity of a poster based upon this expression.

Your example of "dinner's ready" to illustrate my lazy thinking is an irrelevant counter. It neither repeats the request indirectly nor uses shame as a form of press. My two examples did.

We are on topic. Some people believe it's sometimes justified to rationalize a lie if they can connect enough words together, apparently.

Absolutely agree we are on topic. And, for those still following, Viviane has only gone after my ideas and beliefs by countering my thinking as lazy and justifying a lie. That is all fair play. I concede that using insist this way is, at worse, imprecise. It is not a lie. Your post pressed Eden to answer at risk of being labeled discourteous. I submit that seizing upon a common colloquial expression used in a common colloquial manner as the foundation to call a person a liar and to call into question every word a poster writes is entirely illustrative of attacking the person and not the belief, point, or idea.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    That is not how this unfolded. You disagreed with Eden's "belief" that you had "insisted". In your initial reaction to Eden you asked him to explain in detail. But, you did not leave it there, you attacked "the believer" questioning whether anyone should trust another word he says, that every word was suspect as he had "already lied". You did that before he answered your request with a detailed explanation. You can disagree with his explanation, but don't reconstruct the order of events.

Eden did lie. I never insisted. Any claim to the contrary is a lie. How much more simple can it be?

Why, prior to Eden going on a protracted defense did you call into question his integrity? This has been done to you several times, it is wrong. I find it entirely illustrative of the OP, of attacking the believer instead of the belief.

Why would I call into question the integrity of someone that is actively lying? Because they are actively lying.

The question is whether it is a lie. It is vernacular usage despite your insistence "it isn't". Further, the question is whether it is justified to immediately launch into an attack on a "liar" and the entire integrity of a poster based upon this expression.

Eden claimed I was "insisting" on something when I in reality said "Examples of urbanity would include..". Previously, to another post, I had written "Do you have specific examples?". Nowhere did I ever "insist" on anything. I didn't do anything that a synonym for insist.

What I did was ask questions, namely that if someone was willing to lie, why should they be trusted? Why shouldn't we call into question that persons character. I said if you do that, THEN we would have to call his character into question. I never said "You have no character, you're a liar, you're untrustworthy".

Your example of "dinner's ready" to illustrate my lazy thinking is an irrelevant counter. It neither repeats the request indirectly nor uses shame as a form of press. My two examples did.

It illustrates what happened, not what is claimed to have happened.

I concede that using insist this way is, at worse, imprecise. It is not a lie. Your post pressed Eden to answer at risk of being labeled discourteous.

The exact quote: Agreed. Urbanity would include thing like, oh, say, if you make accusations, being able to prove it. It's just common courtesy.

Not only did I not "insist", I didn't even make a request of any type. If Eden felt pressured, it was pressure of his own making by deciding on making claims without backing them up. I didn't make him do that nor ask him for proof.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit