On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Viviane
    Viviane
    No worries, LUHE. It's all good :)
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

OK, thanks Viv.

Perry's posts here have nothing to do with that - I compared posters' responses to Perry's OPs with Cofty reading a Hirsi Ali book in manner that let passing Muslims know who the author was. This was an attempt to gauge if criticism of Christianity and criticism of Islam are equivalent. Clearly, they're not.

To answer your question, I've had many discussions with Muslims and had no problem at all - please tell me more about these discussions. Did you tell the Muslims that you didn't believe in Allah? That if Allah existed, you would regard him as violent, cruel, homophobic, misogynistic, tyrannical?

Did you tell them that you viewed the Qur'an as the word of men, not God? Did you tell them your views on Muhammad? On Sharia law?

• ListlessWitness
    ListlessWitness

Blame wine for this post.

Home Truth; Google it and within seconds you have the meaning.

I seem to remember Poster A questioning Poster X's very masculinity because they couldn't be arsed to Google something way more complex than that. But rather Poster X wanted a knowledgeable forum comrade to explain it. Poster A stepped up to present themselves as a knowledgeable forum comrade but felt payment was in order for passing on the info. Yet apparently Poster A an't be arsed to use internet searches to clarify simple expressions, while expecting others to rely on them for complex techy info.

PMS or just a heaving mass of contradictions? Either way I LOVE this bird and want to BE her!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Maybe chill with the "Google it." directives?

I'd never heard of 'home truths' either, and each word is simple enough that it could have been made up by the author with unclear intent.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

• ListlessWitness
    ListlessWitness
    Oh but GT, it CAN hurt to ask. Depending from which side of the bed possible respondents alighted.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    So, true, LW. If you're sensitive.
  • ListlessWitness
    ListlessWitness
    Fine line between HSP and victim blaming tho!
  • azor
    azor

I was horrified when I discovered how Alan Turing was treated. The fact that there is not a statue with his name on it is ridiculous. He should be as well known as Einstein in the western world and yet I only recently heard of him and would have dismissed him outright as a JW a little over a year ago. The way he died is especially atrocious.

Belief is the disease that caused others to treat him inhumanely. Belief that someone born different is wrong and evil. Unfounded belief is the problem. Belief without evidence. Faith whether in God's or otherwise is damaging to our species.

I can only hopen for my children and future grandchildrens' sake that we wake up from the slumber we are in as a species. Cast aside our hubris and be willing to say I don't know and keep looking. Belief without evidence stops that process.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

azor,

While I am pro-science, I am pretty sure the medical community of the time had plenty of evidence to back their claim that homosexuality was a decease. So the belief of the time was founded on the understanding of the time.

• azor
    azor

There is a difference between a disease and a virus. Belief/religious especially is what drove the evidence in the case you mentioned. Anyone can skew information to justify their beliefs. Thus belief is the problem. The root, or however else someone wants to put it.

I don't understand the term pro science. Can someone be pro math, pro linguistics, and so on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit