On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Viviane
    Viviane

Respecting the right to hold a belief in no way implies that the way a person goes about determining that belief is rational. In much the same way I beleive everyone has the right to free speech, I may think how they decide to exercise that right is stupid.

I respect, in general, lofty ideals that stive to make the world better, to help those that need it, that provide opportunity for the betterment of all. I respect getting things done and not just sitting around talking about them (even if I disagree with what they are doing, I have to admire them getting it done). I respect the notion of looking at all sides of issues. I respect chilling the F out and relaxing every now and then.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    not the belief itself - you've not said which beliefs deserve respect and which don't.

The ones that have no evidence to back them up and are batshit crazy, of course.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Because they often use the "mock outrage and martyrdom" as a cynical way to silence criticism of their idiotic beliefs.
    My friends and I call that poutrage.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Viv

You listed some beliefs that weren't worthy of respect and I agreed with you.

The very least you could do is go through my list, saying which deserve respect and which don't.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    None of them, LUHE.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    I had to drag it out of you, but thank you, Viv.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

I know well the feeling when someone challenges you on your beliefs and asks you to back it up with facts. If you don't have tangible evidence for that belief, the instinct is to get defensive and say that the person is being unreasonable. Being on the receiving end of that challenge often feels like you're being treated mean or unfairly.

Once you get over that emotional reaction and examine the challenge objectively, you realize it's not that big of a drama and in fact you might be wrong.

I've been on the receiving end of Viv's blistering demands for proof and facts. It wasn't fun. But then I realized it wasn't fun only because I didn't have proof and facts to back up what I was saying. Something clicked, and I realized I needed to have evidence before I went around spouting beliefs willy nilly, otherwise I just look silly.

• Viviane
    Viviane

That's a perfect example of making an assumption. I understood the question to mean you were asking me personally what beliefs I respect. I either missed your request for input on the list you provided or misunderstood the question.

That doesn't mean reticence on my part to answer, which (to me) is what it means to have to drag an answer out of someone.

I'm not complaining, just using that as an example :)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I'm totally will to respect the beliefs of someone else as long as that belief is harmless meaning it will not potentially hurt others or even the one who believes. Once it's clear the beliefs is dangerous not just physically but potentially damaging the quality of someones life, then that's where I draw the line!
  • Viviane
    Viviane

Cappy, I am a sweet, lovable person that loves to gve. I never had demands and I am never blistering. I am simply merciless in the arena of ideas, as I believe we all should be.

To quote Cofty (which I've done a few times in real life), I don't want to be wrong any longer than necessary. If I am saying something wrong or using bad logic, math or reasoning, please show me and don't spare my feelings. I'm a big girl and I can handle it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit