On respect for the belief of others. Sorry for the long post

by StarTrekAngel 372 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Simon
    Simon

We don't need to respect the right of people to hold the kind of beliefs that should not be open to any debate.

Should people's beliefs that black people are inferior or that gays should be executed be 'respected'? If so, why? Why should such beliefs be given equal treatment as more factually based and less dangerous ones?

If people don't want their beliefs mocked or challenged then they should shut the heck up about them. Think about them at home or at church but don't bring them outside.

Any beliefs thrown into the public arena are fair targets to be torn to shreds by the lions of intellect and reason.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The reason, Simon, that I say I respect the right to hold belief (even if it's racist) is that new and great ideas and beliefs are often radical things far outside the norm that initially are met with derision and ridicule until we think through them and social intertia changes. For instance, at one point in my life, the ideal of gay marriage was ludicrious. Once I thought about it in terms of marriage equality, my thinking began to change. It's not mine or anyone else's place to tell someone they have no right to hold a belief (IMHO), but we do have the right to respond to it as we see fit (within the bounds of legality).
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Cappy, I am a sweet, lovable person that loves to gve. I never had demands and I am never blistering. I am simply merciless in the arena of ideas, as I believe we all should be.

I should have put blistering demands in quotes. "blistering demands"

That's what it feels like when your brain is panicking because someone actually asked you to back up your assertion with facts and didn't back down.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I was being lighthearted, Cappy :)

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty, on a trinity thread, is currently arguing that it's religious peoples' thinking that is faulty - LUHE

It is. Evidence-based v faith-based thinking.

Why do you raise that in this context?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good post Simon, I agree.

Well, in principle, definitely.

But what about in practice? I know I'm targeting the Muslims yet again but look at Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

I've heard her speak. She's an intelligent woman and her logic seems flawless. But she lives under armed guard, 24-7, pretty much.

What good is it to tear a belief to shreds if it gives you a death sentence?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why do you raise that in this context?

Because Viv was telling me to respect the person's right to hold a belief. If all available evidence pointed to religious peoples' thinking being faulty, peoples' right to hold any belief might be in danger of being eroded.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    LUHE, did MLK waste his life?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    LUHE, did MLK waste his life? - I think someone else wasted MLK's life ...
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    LUHE, how is it incompatible to respect a right to hold beliefs while recognizing that certain thinking and beliefs are faulty?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit