Poll suggests world hostile to US

by Simon 203 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I wish I was as balanced and sensible as Englishman and Abaddon (love the program BTW !)

I always start with the best intentions and aganist the better judgement of my missus, end up posting topics like this. It is not because I want to 'have a go', it's just a topic I am passionate about and something that worries me (the future world for my kids).

I'll try to bite my tongue and refrain from posting stuff like this in future ... which will be hard with the programme on tonight ! (maybe I'll record it and post it so you all can watch it)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

... another cultural difference between Americans and the British, is that the British are generally mortified if they receive too effusive a compliment ... thank you <mortified

• Hamas
    Hamas

Whoa this post has gone mad folks,

I leave it for a few hours now look at it !

lol

• rebel
    rebel

I don't usually comment on these threads, but I haven't been to bed yet and am feeling really light-headed, so here goes.......

I think the US is a fantastic country. I didn't agree with the invasion of Iraq, but that doesn't mean the American people deserve to be critisised because they have a muppet for a president.

Someone posted a report that said the Brits are a pretty depressed bunch. Well, no wonder, when we have to put up with a government that throws an old lady out of her house for the sake of £54 - she died! A government that chucks old people out of their old people's homes to make way for asylum seekers, a government that has a PM that grovels and crawls to the US president and acts like a complete jerk. We are the refugee capital of the world (from a recent news web site) because the government couldn't give a shit about it's own people. We have a severe shortage of teachers, but schools are forced to sack the ones they've got through lack of funding. The health service is a joke - billions are spent so that more and more pen-pushers can find something to do - no doctors or nurses - just pen-pushers! A country which gives £40,000 to a BRAZILLIAN (how the hell did she get in here!) to study CLOWNS but refuses to give money to pay for a swimming pool for people suffering from cerebral palsy (sp?). We reward violent thugs with gift vouchers and trainers, prosecute people who fight back against burglars, release violent offenders time and again to reoffend.....I could go on but I am getting angry.

This probably has nothing to do with what you are all talking about - but I just wanted to get all of this off my chest.

xxR

• cowhand
    cowhand

The US is, for the foreseeable future, our world power, and the only way to look the part is to act powerful.

I don't have to like everything they do, but when they stop doing it someone else is going to take the job, and I don't care to think who.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Cowhand,

I see you come from my old stomping ground. Have we met, I wonder?

Englishman.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I hope you don't include me in the list of the rabid cultist supporters of the United States. I can indeed be critical of my government, I generally direct this criticism to my congressman, senators, and the president by way of email, letters and my vote. Criticism of the US policy...we've done a poor job in post war Iraq, (it's getting better). Bush seemed rather two faced when he criticized Israel for taking on Hamas (Bush has seen the error of his ways apparently)...The Republicans jumping on board this tax cut to people who don't pay taxes is shameful politics. The US Senate (Democrats) filibustering the vote on Mr Estrada for the appealate court, SHAMEFUL! There, hows that. Having said this, over all I like the direction of the country and it's leadership. Bush is by far a more genuine man than Clinton or Gore (or Hilary).

I said it before I'll say it again...the World is Hostile to the US? SO WHAT. The world's been wrong more than once.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Meanwhile, back to the whole point of this post. I think. Here's what it seems to be mainly about, the Beeb are running a series on how the World regards America:

The programme can also be watched on line. The time differences could be confusing though.

Englishman.

• teejay
    teejay
    I'm sorry if some have chosen to take this post as an attack on them or were offended by it. Simon

Me too, Simon. If you didn't already, I guess NOW you know how religiously fervent people are when it comes to their country. It can be funny to watch!

It is simply a poll that I thought was interesting about what the rest of the world thinks about or views America but despite having generally negative opinions of what the country does, the majority of people do not hate Americans.

You're absolutely right. The majority of foreigners would kill to have the chance to live here.

I believed it was relevant and topical given the recent debate about America and Americans and the war and it was part of a programme on the BBC tonight about the worlds view of America.

Very relevant. I'm glad you posted it.

I do find some peoples obession with taking offence a bit tiresome and I get the impression that they have not read the post properly and just scanned the words "America ... dislike" before they go off on one. It was not critical of America or the American people.

You say "tiresome"? I say amusing. I'll never understand the defensive reaction people have when others post negative viewpoints about America. Even if SOME foreigners have a negative opinion of the U.S., like Yeru said: "So what?"

So, again, apologies for those who misunderstood this topic. It was not an attack and I can't help if you have chosen to treat it as one. I thought it was an interesting and current topic.

Simon, I didn't see it as any attack on America. America's greatness really needs no defense. Most of the people in other countries have never been here and develop their opinions based on what they read in slanted newspapers. If such people were a bit more clever, they'd realize they were being manipulated by a media that, ironically, is likely funded by American money. Oh well.

• teejay
    teejay
    Stop being so defensive when there is no need to be. No one is attacking you ! It's like some have a persecution complex.

I couldn't agree more, Simon. Watching my fellow Americans reaction to some silly poll taken by people who most likely have never been here has been... uh... interesting. Why are people so DEFENSIVE? Calm down for Christ's sake. Jesus!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit