Crime Rates: U.S. v. England

by StinkyPantz 117 Replies latest social current

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Simon-

I just have one thing to say. You said:

Perhaps one of you enlightened people who are so convinced that I have criticised America show me WHERE on this topic you think I have done so?

If I did this, you would say that I was misrepresenting you and I'd get kicked off, so I can't.

BTW, showing adverse stats in my mind does not demonstrate that you are anti-US, just like I am not anti-England. I think that donkey gave a perfect analogy. When JJrizzo kept posting stats and articles with a negative light on Jews, people saw him as anti-Semetic. His stuff could've been 100% correct, but he was percieved that way because he kept choosing to bring it up. Some people have felt that you were being similar in the respect.

I wish that you wouldn't be so angry with me, because several people have expressed a similar opinion too. I'm not mad at you, I respect your right to your opinion. The thing that some don't realize, myself included, is that sometimes your opinion offends people, and hurts people, so be careful about how you express yourself. And if you offend a group of people take responsibility.

• Simon
    Simon
    If I did this, you would say that I was misrepresenting you and I'd get kicked off, so I can't.

I take this as a pained admission that you cannot point to any comments then. You do not normally hesitate to make posts about what I've said so I think this is an excuse because you cannot point to anything. I asked a sincere question and it wasn't a trick.

As for accusations that I am Anti American because I post on topics like this, does this mean then that people who post an equal number of posts (in fact more) on the same topics are being dogmatic (or whatever you want to call it) or anti-UK, anti-peace? Funny, but I don't see you complaining about the "dubla's, thichi's and jayson's"? Am I to assume that you have double standards and don't see anything wrong with these people's posts because you happen to agree with them and share the opinions they express? I am not allowed to post an opposing viewpoint? Or, can I start claiming that they are "war-mongers" for constantly expressing support for the war? (a rhetorical question for Jayson before he starts quoting it)

Anyway, wanna hear something ironic? After all this US v UK crime debate there was a shooting / murder at one of the farms that I drive past on my way home from work (20 yards form the road). I probably missed it by about 30 minutes !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3005072.stm

eek !

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Simon-

You do not normally hesitate to make posts about what I've said so I think this is an excuse because you cannot point to anything.

Must I remind you what your PM to me said? You said that if I kept up, I'll get kicked off. SO if I were to show you statements that might be construed as anti-US, you'd say that I was misrepresenting you, which is what you said you'd kick me off for! It's a no win situation for me.

For the record, I think that Jayson has gotten a little too worked up over this whole thing. See, I can say that. Just because someone agrees with me, doesn't make them right. My main point to you is not what you are arguing for, it's your lack of acknowledgement that you are appearing a certain way to lots of people. Maybe 10 people or so have openly asked you about this, so probably twice that many aren't speaking up. Instead of saying "Well maybe I am going a little too far with this issue" you attached titles to people. WildHorses for example made like 3 statements about this and you said that she has chip on her shoulder, after 3 lousy comments!

Anyways, this will be my final comment on this thread. I do not resent you, I hope you feel the same. I admit that I might have a slight persecusion complex. I respect you opinion even if I do not agree. I'm glad that you have supplied this board for us. Later!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Oops, just read your thread.. . http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/22/54188/1.ashx

Forget the highlighted part of the above post.

• Simon
    Simon

s'ok, I think we're just going in circles now anyway.

My PM wasn't intended to threaten or silence you, just voice my opinion (privately) that you seemed (IMHO) determined to pick me up on something, anything.

I'm happy to let any misunderstandings go.

• Jayson
    Jayson

Simon said

Tell me, can you explain the problem that America has with guns? Is it something wrong with American society that makes so many want to manage to blow each others brains out?

Jayson said

Lets see on the topic of guns you said Americans who own guns do so to "blow each others brains out."

So many what Simon? I said "Americans" and Ad thrashed me stating that I am using WT theocratic warfare. So many what? And with what Simon? I said guns. And with what did you mean is used? Please explain.

As for accusations that I am Anti American because I post on topics like this, does this mean then that people who post an equal number of posts (in fact more) on the same topics are being dogmatic (or whatever you want to call it) or anti-UK, anti-peace? Funny, but I don't see you complaining about the "dubla's, thichi's and jayson's"? Am I to assume that you have double standards and don't see anything wrong with these people's posts because you happen to agree with them and share the opinions they express? I am not allowed to post an opposing viewpoint? Or, can I start claiming that they are "war-mongers" for constantly expressing support for the war? (a rhetorical question for Jayson before he starts quoting it)

Simon I'm sure you have choice words for me that you refrain from. I love you too.

US Murder Rates

report concerning homicide trends in the US. Using the FBI Uniform Crime Reports it shows that the US murder rate has declined dramatically throughout the 1990s. The US homicide rate for 1997 dropped to 6.8/100,000 of the population, the equivalent figure for England and Wales continues to increase and now stands at 1.5/100,000 population. The US homicide rate is now at its lowest level since 1967 and recent reports indicate that the US and UK crime figures are converging. UK crime rates are increasing while the US crime rate drops, a trend indicated by the 3rd International Crime Survey and a Dept. of Justice report published in October of last year. The violent crime rate in England & Wales now exceeds that of the US.

Pat Mayhew in her evidence to the Dunblane enquiry[1] notes that the US homicide rate using handguns is over 150 times that of the UK. The Labour party[2] continued in a similar vein in its own submission to the enquiry. As is typical of many advocates of gun control a simple causal relationship is implied in both papers. However, in the period under study the overall US homicide rate remained approximately 8 times that of the UK. The continuing decline in the US crime rate means that the US homicide rate has now dropped to approximately 4 times that of the UK. Why then does a factor of 150 in the homicide rate using handguns not translate into a similar factor in the overall homicide rate?

In part at least the discrepancy can be explained by the "weapon substitution" theory, whereby an offender denied access to firearms would substitute another lethal weapon. The theory would suggest that the crime dictates the weapon rather than the weapon dictating the crime. Mayhew counters that most violent incidents are committed fairly spontaneously and that the presence of a lethal weapon produces a violent outcome. Such spontaneity is in fact myth, a myth generated more by wishful thinking than any basis in fact. Firstly consider domestic violence, many offenders do claim that a violent confrontation with a partner arose spontaneously and that their actions were not premeditated. Yet domestic violence is rarely an isolated outbreak of such violence but simply another episode in a long cycle of abuse. Secondly an armed robber does not discharge a firearm 'spontaneously' during a robbery. The robbery may not have been planned with the intent to discharge a weapon but by carrying a firearm criminals are clearly prepared to do so should the situation demand it.

The difference in the US and UK figures can also be explained by the manner in which they are compiled. The US figure is based upon the Uniform Crime Reports compiled by the FBI. The FBI is solely responsible for classifying crimes and no matter what the subsequent criminal case becomes it is not changed. On the other hand homicide in the UK reflects only those crimes resulting in a criminal conviction for murder, manslaughter or infanticide. The US figure represents a gross estimate of homicide whilst the British estimate reflects a more conservative figure. The difference in methodology would tend to suggest that the difference between the US and the UK is not as pronounced as some gun control advocates would have us believe.

Finally, gun control advocates frequently attribute the UK's low rate of violent crime to its restrictive gun laws. They would do well to bear in mind that in 1919, the year before gun control legislation was introduced, the US homicide rate was almost twelve times that of the UK. After close to 80 years of rigorous gun control the gap has now narrowed to a factor of four.

http://members.aol.com/gunbancon/Frames/US_murder.html

• Simon
    Simon

Jayson, knowing that it's a waste of time answering you because you never comrehend I will still repond for the onlookers.

The 'many' are AMERICANS (duh!) ... but it is a rhetorical statement. You do know what that is don't you? (don't answer that ... it's oh, never mind).

It was a question (now taken out of context): What was it about American culture that caused it to have such a high gun-related homicide rate? And claiming there are more guns won't cut it because Canada has as many and England once did and neither had the same gun crime. So, care to enlighten us about the answer to the question rather than getting all uppity about the question itself? To ask the question does not say that Americans are any better or worse ... hey, maybe all the people shot deserved to die?!

BTW: The graph in the article you posted is simplistic beyond belief. Maybe I should do a similar one showing the budget deficit going off into infinity? The dotted line is not the trend, merely the most recent direction the line has taken extrapolated. The trend is up (or at least, not down). It could just as easily reverse it's current short term direction and reduction and shoot upwards.

If drawing trends were so easy, we'd all be rich predicting stock prices ... look, it's gone down for the last 5 days - that means that in 3 months it will be at zero ... sell, sell !

Unfortunately, I think the figures will become more similar but not because the US rate will come down but because the UK rate is clearly rasing given our propensity for copying all things American, both good and bad.

• Jayson
    Jayson

Well,

the hair on my fingers singed on that one. I agree with you about guns being part of American culture Simon.

It was a question (now taken out of context): What was it about American culture that caused it to have such a high gun-related homicide rate?Did you mean it Simon? That Americans "blow each others brains out?" Even as a question about culture? Doesn't the last post also address guns and crime? Even if you consider it simplistic? There are also some links to more indepth articles. You told me to not post everything, shorten it, and just do links. And claiming there are more guns won't cut it because Canada has as many and England once did and neither had the same gun crime. One theroy is Canada is more rual. So, care to enlighten us about the answer to the question rather than getting all uppity about the question itself?Sociologically for people Simon the more dense the area the higher the crime rates. Accept Japan maybe. My question is why is crime, homicide as per your topic, decreasing in the US and the lack of guns in the UK not showing similar decreases. Why is crime increasing in the UK? Do you still need more stats on that? Did you know that all crime is an FBI gross in the US and not in the UK? To ask the question does not say that Americans are any better or worse ... hey, maybe all the people shot deserved to die?!No Simon, and I never said that.
    BTW: The graph in the article you posted is simplistic beyond belief. Maybe I should do a similar one showing the budget deficit going off into infinity? The dotted line is not the trend, merely the most recent direction the line has taken extrapolated. The trend is up (or at least, not down). It could just as easily reverse it's current short term direction and reduction and shoot upwards.You say that the hostility you have shown is because of nonsubstance posts that do not directly talk about your points of homicide and the US/UK that they are to vauge. But here is what you ask for and you still dismiss it and say that in the future it [rates] might go back up? And I am the straw man? O.K.
    Unfortunately, I think the figures will become more similar but not because the US rate will come down but because the UK rate is clearly rasing given our propensity for copying all things American, both good and bad.lol well if that's true then in a few years you will be as stupid as me and then I will by ya a pint. (On the way to the shooting range that is)
    Really it covers that the US still has a higher homicide rate. That you are 150 times more likely to die from a gunshot wound in the US. That crime and homicide is decreasing in the US and increasing in the UK while the UK is still lower than the US. That guns still are an issue in the US but not the only issue. I thought it gave something for all sides Simon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit